U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:38 PM

1,497 posts, read 4,440,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
sorry to hear that. hopefully last yr's hurricane season, which in fla was non-existent, will continue to be for many yrs to come.
Dreamer! Have you not heard that 2007 will be the hottest year on record, which will mean a hurricane blast, a repeat of 2004??

Yes, 2006 was (thank God) a quiet season, but it was NOT super hot, as 2007 already is!!

Oh geez.... why do people fail to acknowledge facts and switch them for fiction or wishful thinking?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 02:57 PM

436 posts, read 1,211,047 times
Gosh, that was kind of harsh to Backtofla. You talk about separating fact from wishfulthinking, yet no one can accurately predict the weather...not even the meteorologists who half the time are incorrect. The summer of '07 hasn't even started yet. Yes it could be the hottest, but it is not certain. When you decide to move to Florida, the weather is a known fact...you know it will be hot, you know it will be humid, and you know that there is the very real possibility of hurricanes. To move there and then complain about what you already knew, to me, is fruitless. I have family who live in Lake Mary and love it. They work, yes, but they know how to take advantage of leisure time too. Complaining on your computer only wastes time that you can spend outdoors or doing something fun. I don't mean to offend, but it bothers me that one one poster tries to be positive, another comes along to take it all away.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,418 times
Smile reading posts

hello all,

I'm new to this site and have enjoyed reading your posts. I have a similar situation as most of you. I bought 20 years ago, $48,000, refinaced once for $70,000, market value is $125,000. Now our homeowners insurance have jumped payments over the course of last 2 years over $300.00 a month. Insurance and taxes are in escrow...plus they have added flood insurance to us. Lived here 20 years...water never even came up the driveway. Now insurance company (Nationwide...had 20 years...never made a claim) is NOT renewing our policy and only option it seems is Citizens. Another $600.00 a year increase! I haven't seen anything that was promised to us by our elected officials! UGH!!! I get ssoooo angry about this situation.
We have thought about moving up towards Marianna (close to parents) but have seen homes in our area up for sale for months, Dunedin/Clearwater. Most are asking 20,000.00 more than market value (probably why not selling) and have thought about selling ours market value. And Marianna is still Florida so basically we would have the same issues just maybe a better house for less money. Buying and selling is not my strong point so any advice and info is appreciated.

Sqonk

Old 03-27-2007, 03:09 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,754,287 times
I don't worry about the weather, there's nothing any of us can do about it, period. All my problems come from people. The relentless high taxes take away money I could use for home improvements, or air conditioning. Problems with helping my parents fight Miami-Dade government have stolen countless hours from my schedule.Team Metro, as well as dealing with the frivolous lawsuit has all been wasted time. Florida has problems, but the majority are caused by it's people and government.

As for time spent posting, I deal with clients and suppliers all day. I post here when I get a free minute or two. No time wasted there, I am on hold anyway!

Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 PM

436 posts, read 1,211,047 times
I give you credit, Tallrick, because when you post you talk about the area that you live in and you speak honestly as well as try to do something about the situation. I know that you are unhappy and you are kind of stuck because you take care of parents. I hope the situation gets better for you because life is short and there is too much out there to waste. Perhaps one day you will see the fruits of your labor so to speak and things will finally change for the better.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:15 PM

8,626 posts, read 13,852,342 times
Default Fed up with Florida

After reading all these posts about the Sunshine state, I can only say one thing........Get the hell outa there !! I did.

There was a time 26 some years ago, when I thought living in Florida would be great. Year round warm weather ( came from Chicago) , easy going lifestyle. Could sail my boat all the year round, just live off the land, and retire early. I was only 40..................It was fun for a while, but then came the need to go back to work , full time, the big blows ( rode one out on the boat , that was scary)...then , work,work, no time to sail anymore, and when there was time , I had to strap on the old tool belt and fix things. I envied the tourists,.they had all the fun !.........We had a lot of good times, and experiences, I would not want to forget , some , I would not want to repeat. Overall , between , the bugs, the summer heat, mold,old people,( now I am one) , the long drive out of there for business, and the rednecks, when we away from the water., we had all the Florida we could stand, it was time to move on, and , we did.
Now , when we go to Florida ( mostly the keys), every few years, we enjoy it , just like the tourists, cause we are one !

Old 03-27-2007, 04:49 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,645,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
(I am going to Tallahassee next week and the cheapest room I could find is $189 a night!)
It's legislative session Mar. 1 - May 5th. Visit after that time for better prices on everything in town!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState
Forget about ever staying at a hotel on the beach anymore. We use to spend a weekend a year on Treasure Island...we stopped going when the room rates went up to $299 a night.
Maybe you should explore new beach areas? I stayed in a hotel on Ft. Walton Beach last summer for $150/night!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState
Orlando area is the same or worse! NO EXAGGERATION....FACT!
Now come on. I just found an on-property Disney Resort rate (Coronado Springs) for Mid-April for $159/Night!!!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:39 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,870,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
It's legislative session Mar. 1 - May 5th. Visit after that time for better prices on everything in town!

Maybe you should explore new beach areas? I stayed in a hotel on Ft. Walton Beach last summer for $150/night!

Now come on. I just found an on-property Disney Resort rate (Coronado Springs) for Mid-April for $159/Night!!!
Great post! I have no problem finding good deals and avoid the times of year that everyone knows are bad (spring break, memorial day, 4th of July etc.). In September we stayed at the All Star Music Resort for $59 a night. We stayed 2 days and had an amazing time! We live only 5 miles away but it felt like a different world.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:41 PM

9,324 posts, read 23,754,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I give you credit, Tallrick, because when you post you talk about the area that you live in and you speak honestly as well as try to do something about the situation. I know that you are unhappy and you are kind of stuck because you take care of parents. I hope the situation gets better for you because life is short and there is too much out there to waste. Perhaps one day you will see the fruits of your labor so to speak and things will finally change for the better.
It's nice that someone understands where I am comming from! I was relatively happy before the real-estate bubble. As you said, life is too short to waste, this stupid bubble has wasted almost 5 years of my life! Unless it pops, crashes hard I will have to move. This will be a difficult and expensive process, and the final time I move ( I hope) . My retirement years need to be somewhere I can afford. While I am still strong it's ok to build a new home, to last 50 years without maintenance. But I need protection from out of control property taxes. My parents are 76 and without my help could not survive. If I move they will have to come with me OR move into my home, which is very safe. Yet the property tax issue locks them in the home they bought new in 1960. Fix the tax situation, I can take care of the rest. Would be nicer to move to Hendry county as I planned and get my parents here to retire with that ocean view, and decent neighbors. Then I can remodel their old place and sell it, problem solved. Otherwise if Florida keeps screwing things up I will have to join some of you in the midwest, Georgia or Tennesee. Who wants a 6'7" neighbor with a bowling alley at home?

Old 03-27-2007, 10:10 PM

142 posts, read 528,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
It all depends on which part of Florida you live in. In S and SW FL, it is quite possible to have to work two jobs to make ends meet. I know quite a few people who are doing this. When you are living at work, you will spend most of your time off around home or doing home-related things such as grocery shopping, laundry, housecleaning, and the like.

Not only that, but life in S and SW FL is different than other areas of FL. Even if one is lucky enough to only have to work one job, they may still feel the need to remain at home or nearby due to the fact that people and work environments can be so crazy down here that it is draining, and the only way to get oneself back together and able to get back to work for another week of it is by withdrawing and staying at home in an effort to avoid the alternate reality that is S and SW FL. Also, the beach access is not what other areas of FL enjoy. It can be difficult, if not near impossible, to be able to get to the beach due to traffic, seasonal issues, and overcrowding. There is only so much that one person can take, and anyone who is thinking of relocating to South or Southwest FL and doesn't heed the warnings will find out for themselves soon enough.

As far as hurricanes go, hurricanes occur more often in FL than earthquakes occur in CA. Hurricanes are a very real part of life in FL, and preparing your home for them is a hassle, depending on your situation, and I've never met anybody who thought that the announcement of one headed their way was convenient or came at a good time because you see, we live AND WORK here in FL; we're not on vacation year round. I'm a survivor of Hurricane Charley, and I can honestly tell you that having the beach and palm trees within driving distance was hardly a comfort during that time. Please do not choose to move to FL for the beaches and palm trees. How much time a person spends pursuing recreation - regardless of where they live in the country - is most likely how much time they will be spending recreationally in FL and possibly even less so depending on what area of FL they choose to live in.

I tend to agree. You need to decompress often if you live in these areas. Being self employed, I have plenty of free time. But mostly plan my day so I can be where the idiots aren't. And spend alot of time home. I hate going to some of the local grocery or health food stores as it just seems like people who are hell bent on making others miserable have taken jobs there. I often think to myself, 'if you're so unhappy at this job why not quit rather than make such an effort to upset customers and coworkers'...

I work out of my home and could not imagine what I would be like if I were imprisoned with some of these idiots on the job. If stupidity and ignorance are contagious, then you may need to wear a hazmat suit here in S. Fla..!

Fortunatly I get to get away for over 5 months to Pa. But I may one day leave Florida for good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or