Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 11:29 AM

598 posts, read 2,259,883 times

Advertisements

It seems that the "reduction" isn't really what it seemed. The increases are still going into effect . Apparently the reduction is just a small decrease in the original increase Has anyone had their rates go up recently or did you see a real reduction? I'm still waiting for my renewl notice. What's happening with your rates and what location are you?

Link:
http://www.sptimes.com/2007/03/18/Bu...just_a_d.shtml

Last edited by summergal; 03-25-2007 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: forgot the link lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 11:47 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,645,979 times
Let's see if the Governor can actually do something about PROPERTY TAXES which unlike insurance are under his control, somewhat. Even if insurance rates go down you know that all bets are off when the next hurricane hits.

Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,157,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summergal View Post
It seems that the "reduction" isn't really what it seemed. The increases are still going into effect . Apparently the reduction is just a small decrease in the original increase Has anyone had their rates go up recently or did you see a real reduction? I'm still waiting for my renewl notice. What's happening with your rates and what location are you?
My wind storm went up exactly 100% in Feb. Total bill now $7200. They are in the risk and reward business just like Las Vegas and don't expect to ever win or even come out ahead. Insurance companies go by the old golden rule, the one with the gold makes the rules. To believe anything else is to be completely naive. They make the rules as to what you pay and what they will pay you should you have a claim, which is nothing if they can get away with it.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,882,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Let's see if the Governor can actually do something about PROPERTY TAXES which unlike insurance are under his control, somewhat. Even if insurance rates go down you know that all bets are off when the next hurricane hits.
The state house passed the property tax cut down to the county level.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 PM

518 posts, read 2,218,329 times
What's happening is that the state's biggest insurers (State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide) pushed through huge increases last year and have found holes in the new legislation that allows them to get away with requesting minuscule decreases this year. The end result is very little relief for the policy holder.

It's an amazing turnaround -- Citizens used to be the bad guys; now their policy holders are getting the biggest breaks. Citizens' increases of up to 120 percent scheduled for coastal areas this year were revoked, and coastal policy holders are getting an average 15 percent cut from last year's rates as well. Unfortunately, state law requires Citizens' rates to be "actuarially sound" starting Jan. 1, 2008, so I fear the other shoe may drop next year.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:10 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,088,470 times
This is worst than a wash, If your HOI was $500.00 and received a raise of $1000.00 and now a discount of 5% your net discount is $75.00, leaving an annual payment of $1,425.00 ver $1,500.00. I would like for those that are affected by a 300% increases to get back under the $2K.

On paper everyting reads great, execution is not always pretty... and most of the time we the community will receive a small discount to keep us happy...but for the ones with limited income that can be still a disaster if they are low on funds....

Old 03-25-2007, 01:28 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,645,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
The state house passed the property tax cut down to the county level.
Does this mean it's up to our counties to set rates> I need to get a group together to petition for lower taxes if it is!

Old 03-25-2007, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
My wind storm went up exactly 100% in Feb. Total bill now $7200. They are in the risk and reward business just like Las Vegas and don't expect to ever win or even come out ahead. Insurance companies go by the old golden rule, the one with the gold makes the rules. To believe anything else is to be completely naive. They make the rules as to what you pay and what they will pay you should you have a claim, which is nothing if they can get away with it.

100%??? Wow! That's what I was afraid to hear. It's interesting how quiet things are right now since the "promise" seems to be in motion and things appear to be getting fixed? When they said we're going to have our rates cut, most assume that is exactly what was going to happen. I hoped we would get some relief but all the time suspecting it's all smoke and mirrors **sigh** I'm afraid to see what happens. Let's just pray for another quiet hurricane season.

You are so right! They do make the rules and we really are at their mercy. A good friend of ours who lives in Atlanta just hired a guy from Ft. Lauderdale. This poor guy had the roof of his house blown off in the recent hurricanes and the insurance company gave him a whopping $150 for it! He had had enough after that, sold the house to whoever would take it off his hands for pennies on the dollar and moved to Atlanta.

Old 03-30-2007, 12:31 PM

I got my renewal today and actually it went down about $20. $1611 - Citizens. Big **sigh** of relief there!

Old 03-30-2007, 01:20 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,818,226 times
Angry We need low property taxes. We are no longer a happy people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisoxfan View Post
What's happening is that the state's biggest insurers (State Farm, Allstate, Nationwide) pushed through huge increases last year and have found holes in the new legislation that allows them to get away with requesting minuscule decreases this year. The end result is very little relief for the policy holder.

It's an amazing turnaround -- Citizens used to be the bad guys; now their policy holders are getting the biggest breaks. Citizens' increases of up to 120 percent scheduled for coastal areas this year were revoked, and coastal policy holders are getting an average 15 percent cut from last year's rates as well. Unfortunately, state law requires Citizens' rates to be "actuarially sound" starting Jan. 1, 2008, so I fear the other shoe may drop next year.
The Governor can only control insurance rates so much before the rip-off/scammers of insurance compaines pull out of the state of Florida altogether and then the situation could get worse than it currently is now.

With that said, I can say that so far, Crist has been an EXCELLENT Governor, but if he cannot get either the Property Homestead expemtion raised to $200,000 (minimum) OR regulate insurance to try to force prices down, he will NOT get re-elected, as Floridians will want to crucify him for it (wheter or not it is his fault ot not). He needs to do one or the other. The easiest for Crist to push is lower property taxes. And this is done through a major raise in the Homestead exemption.

Crist needs to push for a Homestead exemption of $200,000 (meaning anyone who has a house here appraised for less than $200,000 would pay $0 in property taxes). Since most FL houses cost a LOT more than that, the state would still get some revenue. The gov't must then stop the county commissioners from spending $30,000 in office furniture, stop county vehicles from being gaz guzzlers, and etc. That way, there should be p[lenty of money left over for the state and the county. That was there is also enough money for FL families to save and/or feed their kids and not feel strangled by property taxes.

Let the Michael Jacksons and Wesley Snipes who have houses in FL pay for the damn property tax. They can afford it, we, the regular Floridians cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida