Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2009, 10:29 PM

30 posts, read 111,274 times

Advertisements

How is the fishing in Islamorada. Is the water not as nice as Miami and other keys. I have never been to the keys ,Im trying to pick the best one for a fishing trip. I have looked at pictures and the water does not look as nice as miami, where I have been many times. Is the keys better fishing than the rest of south Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2009, 06:44 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,200,597 times
Cool Fishing???

I have been to all three sides of Florida, east - west - and the Keys - and on each trip...I have spent at least one day fishing......what I have discovered...is like any area you visit...some boats/charters are vastly better than others...

I stay away from the hotel recommendations and instead spend a few hours at the local dock usually when the boats are returning...and attempt to discover which boat has the happiest clients...however...what I have found to be the best indicator is the people who are looking to buy the fresh catch off one of the boats...they always know which boat to stand by...and if you talk to enough of them...one boat/charter will stand out...if you do not have time for this...sometimes the hotel bartender will know the best boats...for his tips are his alone...

One thing to watch for is that some boats have different rules...on a fishing trip in Hawaii...the boat captain...after we were out and fishing...told us that everything over 15 pounds was the boats...what a joke...for we did not catch anything under 15 pounds...and something else to consider about the dock trip...those people looking to buy fish at the dock...will buy it from you as well...

Old 03-21-2009, 07:15 PM

90 posts, read 467,411 times
Islamorada is heaven because of it's water color and clarity, one of the most desired areas in the Keys because of it, ranging all the way to clear turquoise. Islamorada is also known for its fishing, and just do as the poster above mentions and go to the marina and talk with people. Some of my favorite times in life are kayaking around Islamorada, but I have been fishing there as well. It's stunningly beautiful there!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:03 PM

30 posts, read 111,274 times
Thanks for the info. Is the heat bad in late May. Because I plan on spending several days fishing on a boat.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:09 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,918,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I have been to all three sides of Florida, east - west - and the Keys - and on each trip...I have spent at least one day fishing......what I have discovered...is like any area you visit...some boats/charters are vastly better than others...

I stay away from the hotel recommendations and instead spend a few hours at the local dock usually when the boats are returning...and attempt to discover which boat has the happiest clients...however...what I have found to be the best indicator is the people who are looking to buy the fresh catch off one of the boats...they always know which boat to stand by...and if you talk to enough of them...one boat/charter will stand out...if you do not have time for this...sometimes the hotel bartender will know the best boats...for his tips are his alone...

One thing to watch for is that some boats have different rules...on a fishing trip in Hawaii...the boat captain...after we were out and fishing...told us that everything over 15 pounds was the boats...what a joke...for we did not catch anything under 15 pounds...and something else to consider about the dock trip...those people looking to buy fish at the dock...will buy it from you as well...
Why all the dots? It makes your writing hard to read.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:49 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,369,037 times
I think the water in the Keys is cleaner than off the coast of Miami, but that is just my thoughts. Any place in the Keys is going to be a good place to go fishing from, I wouldn't worry to much. As to the May question, late May is going to be warm if not hot, but it can be rainy too. Rainy season usually begins late May here, it can be nice to cool you off in the boat.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:15 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,597,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrek07 View Post
Thanks for the info. Is the heat bad in late May. Because I plan on spending several days fishing on a boat.
That will cost you thousands of dollars, even if you hire the cheapest charter boat in the Keys...

Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,200,597 times
Cool Don't Like Coma's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Why all the dots? It makes your writing hard to read.
I really do not know why I use the dots...other than to separate my thoughts...but if not the dots...then there would be coma's...or a new sentence......

Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,983 times
Probably the best tarpon/fly fishing in Florida!

Don't listen to the guys above, there are plenty of charters that can land you great fish and won't charge an arm and a leg.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-22-2010 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: No recommendations allowed for members with less than 10 posts sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida