U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 PM
 
Location: NY
30 posts, read 96,859 times
Reputation: 25

Advertisements

How is the fishing in Islamorada. Is the water not as nice as Miami and other keys. I have never been to the keys ,Im trying to pick the best one for a fishing trip. I have looked at pictures and the water does not look as nice as miami, where I have been many times. Is the keys better fishing than the rest of south Florida?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-20-2009, 05:44 AM
 
Location: Jupiter
1,108 posts, read 3,687,245 times
Reputation: 624
Cool Fishing???

I have been to all three sides of Florida, east - west - and the Keys - and on each trip...I have spent at least one day fishing......what I have discovered...is like any area you visit...some boats/charters are vastly better than others...

I stay away from the hotel recommendations and instead spend a few hours at the local dock usually when the boats are returning...and attempt to discover which boat has the happiest clients...however...what I have found to be the best indicator is the people who are looking to buy the fresh catch off one of the boats...they always know which boat to stand by...and if you talk to enough of them...one boat/charter will stand out...if you do not have time for this...sometimes the hotel bartender will know the best boats...for his tips are his alone...

One thing to watch for is that some boats have different rules...on a fishing trip in Hawaii...the boat captain...after we were out and fishing...told us that everything over 15 pounds was the boats...what a joke...for we did not catch anything under 15 pounds...and something else to consider about the dock trip...those people looking to buy fish at the dock...will buy it from you as well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-21-2009, 06:15 PM
 
90 posts, read 434,064 times
Reputation: 81
Islamorada is heaven because of it's water color and clarity, one of the most desired areas in the Keys because of it, ranging all the way to clear turquoise. Islamorada is also known for its fishing, and just do as the poster above mentions and go to the marina and talk with people. Some of my favorite times in life are kayaking around Islamorada, but I have been fishing there as well. It's stunningly beautiful there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2009, 05:03 PM
 
Location: NY
30 posts, read 96,859 times
Reputation: 25
Thanks for the info. Is the heat bad in late May. Because I plan on spending several days fishing on a boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-22-2009, 09:09 PM
 
Location: WI
1,132 posts, read 2,599,837 times
Reputation: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
I have been to all three sides of Florida, east - west - and the Keys - and on each trip...I have spent at least one day fishing......what I have discovered...is like any area you visit...some boats/charters are vastly better than others...

I stay away from the hotel recommendations and instead spend a few hours at the local dock usually when the boats are returning...and attempt to discover which boat has the happiest clients...however...what I have found to be the best indicator is the people who are looking to buy the fresh catch off one of the boats...they always know which boat to stand by...and if you talk to enough of them...one boat/charter will stand out...if you do not have time for this...sometimes the hotel bartender will know the best boats...for his tips are his alone...

One thing to watch for is that some boats have different rules...on a fishing trip in Hawaii...the boat captain...after we were out and fishing...told us that everything over 15 pounds was the boats...what a joke...for we did not catch anything under 15 pounds...and something else to consider about the dock trip...those people looking to buy fish at the dock...will buy it from you as well...
Why all the dots? It makes your writing hard to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 AM
 
Location: Miami
6,853 posts, read 19,798,882 times
Reputation: 2907
I think the water in the Keys is cleaner than off the coast of Miami, but that is just my thoughts. Any place in the Keys is going to be a good place to go fishing from, I wouldn't worry to much. As to the May question, late May is going to be warm if not hot, but it can be rainy too. Rainy season usually begins late May here, it can be nice to cool you off in the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 PM
 
Location: MIA
1,335 posts, read 3,205,740 times
Reputation: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by djrek07 View Post
Thanks for the info. Is the heat bad in late May. Because I plan on spending several days fishing on a boat.
That will cost you thousands of dollars, even if you hire the cheapest charter boat in the Keys...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2009, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Jupiter
1,108 posts, read 3,687,245 times
Reputation: 624
Cool Don't Like Coma's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoolmrcool28 View Post
Why all the dots? It makes your writing hard to read.
I really do not know why I use the dots...other than to separate my thoughts...but if not the dots...then there would be coma's...or a new sentence......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2010, 07:07 AM
 
1 posts, read 2,687 times
Reputation: 10
Probably the best tarpon/fly fishing in Florida!

Don't listen to the guys above, there are plenty of charters that can land you great fish and won't charge an arm and a leg.

Last edited by doggiebus; 01-22-2010 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: No recommendations allowed for members with less than 10 posts sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top