U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 10:35 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,232,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeS View Post
Confused and now I have a big headache!

Thinking of moving to Florida do a Medical issue.

Have been reading the papers and the boards.

Can anyone tell me what I would pay for taxes and insurance on this property?

Price $159.500

Property Features
Single Family Property Master bedroom is 14 X 14
Area: 7150 Living room is 17 X 12
County: ST LUCIE Kitchen is 12 X 11
Subdivision: INDIAN RIVER ESTATES Laundry room is 6 X 6
Year Built: 1989 1 car garage
3 total bedroom(s) Heating features: Central
2 total bath(s) Central air conditioning
2 total full bath(s) Interior eatures: Clotheswasher, Dishwasher, Range, Refrigerator, Water softener, Bar, Foyer, Mirror(s), Pantry, Washer/dryer hookups, Carpet, 2nd bedroom is 13 X 12, 3rd bedroom is 12 X 12
Approximately 1672 sq. ft. Exterior features: Automatic garage door, Covered porch, Septic sewer system
Type: Detached Pets allowed
Laundry room

Thanks
http://www.paslc.org/main-taxestimator.asp (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 34,129 times
Thank you everyone, I will continue to read and learn.

Hopefully once we are able to make the move ( before winter arives again) we will know enough to keep ourselfs out of any trouble.

Now I will also watch and see what happens with the insurance rates. lol

I know we would be able to pay the P&I but I think the tax is about 1K more than we can handel plus the insurance. Right now I have P&I plus $2,200 tax and only $510 for insurance. Might have to buy a handy man special but do not see many of them in Indian River Estates

Old 03-26-2007, 09:48 AM

1,305 posts, read 4,911,766 times
You may already know this, but for the benefit of others who might be interested, Indian River Estates is an eclectic community located East of US 1, halfway between Port St. Lucie and Fort Pierce. To the east, it backs up onto the Savannas, a protected conservation area. It was originally developed by General Development Corp, the developer of Port St. Lucie, but they are long gone.

It's unusual in that there are two basic divisions -- "standard" lots of about 10,000 sq feet more or less, and "country" lots (the names are my own) that were about 50' wide and 300' deep. In practice, it takes at least two of the country lots to build. Originally, the streets facing the standard lots wer paved and the streets in the "country" section were dirt. They have all since been paved, and in fact, a couple of them are being rebuilt and repaved asI write this. At one time there was a huge drainage problem and the dirt streets were often flooded to the point of impassibility, but that has also been cured. I don't know the current status of utilities; I'm pretty certain everyone is on a septic tank, but I think I remember that central water service was added several years ago.

The community has always been more "free wheeling" than the more homogeneous Port St. Lucie. IRE is where the mavericks headed when they wanted to experiment with architectural ideas, and there is everything from ultra modern to log cabins to country houses to stilt houses and everything in between. Most are well kept. There are always some new homes being constructed. The area, especially in the larger country lots, has also been more flexible in terms of storage. While Port St. Lucie has rigidly enforced codes regarding RVs, boats and other trailers, and maintenance and landscaping restrictions, IRE is the place for folks with motorcycle trailers, RVs, boats, race trailers, etc. It has also always been easier to build a shed or shop building on the property, and some folks with the larger lots even have a horse or some chickens or a goat.

You should not get the idea that this is a country slum with junk cars, etc. -- rather, it is people who would rather self-police with fewer rules.

It's an interesting community, and would probably have suited me better than PSL because I tend to be one of the mavericks, but we were scared off in the early days because of the dirt roads and drainage problems, and fell into a rut in PSL and never moved to IRE when the improvements came. If we were not moving to 5 acres in Okeechobee, I would consider the country area of IRE for my new house. In fact, I just looked at 1.36 acres available at the northern end of IRE along Midway Rd.

Taxes in IRE will be slightly lower than in PSL, because IRE is in the unincorporated area of the county and there are no city taxes to pay. On the other hand, one is at the mercy of the county for all services, and they are sometimes slower than the city. Fire and school coverage is the same because those are county-wide, policing is by the Sheriff's dept., and public works, code enforcement and such are county.

Bottom line, kind of a neat place if you are a bit of a maverick.

Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 AM

10 posts, read 34,129 times
Nice information pslOldTimer,

I think we might fall into maverick group. We are involved in racing and we have an RV. We do love that area which we know 4 other familys that live there (2 at the north end near Midway and 3 I would have to say south east in the subdv). I will look more in to what you said about the standard lots vs county lots. Have visited in the months of March, April and November, this will be the first time we visit in July. I keeping reading about everyone saying FT Pierce was so bad of an area I was not sure to believe them or go with what I have seen and enjoyed first hand. I do agree that towns have their bad areas. This next trip I will be looking for at the town as a hole as a future resident rather than a visitor!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:40 PM

142 posts, read 517,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Dee, you could call the Director of Equalization in your future county and they should be able to tell you what the millage rate is. There's possibly even something on their county website. I just sent you a PM, too.

Director of Equalization.. Hmm. That kinda makes me think of the Department of Homeland Security. One day they never existed and the next they are going through your luggage..

I think we do need a director of equalization. I know I could have used one in traffic today.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:52 PM

142 posts, read 517,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeS View Post
Nice information pslOldTimer,

I think we might fall into maverick group. We are involved in racing and we have an RV. We do love that area which we know 4 other familys that live there (2 at the north end near Midway and 3 I would have to say south east in the subdv). I will look more in to what you said about the standard lots vs county lots. Have visited in the months of March, April and November, this will be the first time we visit in July. I keeping reading about everyone saying FT Pierce was so bad of an area I was not sure to believe them or go with what I have seen and enjoyed first hand. I do agree that towns have their bad areas. This next trip I will be looking for at the town as a hole as a future resident rather than a visitor!
Now I know what area we're talking about. It is always good to look on line and train your eyes for what is out there. The only down side I can see to that area is it's proximity to the nuclear power plant. This is a plant the should be decommisioned ( I believe it is currently under review for license renewal and going to be rubber stamped). This area is (directly) due west of the plant. And any accident would put you in the direct line of fire.

Alot of the things (I) we worry about never happen right. But I would think if you don't move often, this is also something to consider. Technically it's in Ft. Pierce. But close to white city. I see no stigma attached in that
regard.

When you are down here. If you drive north on Indian River Drive from PSL (walton rd) towards that area, you see the last places to be developed on IRD are areas due west of the power plant. I think there is a good reason for that. Same thing on the beach (AIA)...

Opps.... I stand corrected. This was in the paper today..

Time frame: Unit 1 began operation in 1976, Unit 2 in 1983; the NRC renewed licenses for both generators in October 2003; the license for Unit 1 runs out in 2036, for Unit 2 in 2043

So they were already rubber stamped. I think I read somewhere that these plants weren't designed to be running for as long as these two units have been approved for..

Last edited by in2dadark; 03-27-2007 at 11:11 PM.. Reason: Updated..

Old 03-28-2007, 08:36 AM

1,305 posts, read 4,911,766 times
The nuclear plants are a non-issue. I can assure you that no plant in this country is ever rubber-stamped. The reason that area on Indian River Drive was not developed us because it has been held by one family who had no reason to sell. If you look more closely, you'll see there is a house on the Drive that is directly west of the plant and actually has a power transmission tower in their back yard.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:09 AM

45 posts, read 71,560 times
Default IR Estates

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in here-you can not find a nicer area than Indian River Estates, especially the four western streets, Buchanan, Pinetree, Palmetto and Silver Oak. Beware of PSL, however, it is nowhere near as quiet and safe as IR Estates. Also, look for a home or property with the city water assessment already paid or it will end up costing you ten thousand dollars.

Last edited by FRANKLIN; 09-24-2007 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: added text

Old 09-24-2007, 05:11 AM

Default IR Estates

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in here-you can not find a nicer area than Indian River Estates, especially the four western streets, Buchanan, Pinetree, Palmetto and Silver Oak. Beware of PSL, however, it is nowhere near as quiet and safe as IR Estates. Also, look for a home or property with the city water assessment already paid or it will end up costing you ten thousand dollars.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:14 AM

Default IR Estates vs PSL

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or