Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 AM

910 posts, read 2,217,763 times

Advertisements

Spring, wow, that is quite a difference ! Our WalMart is charging $2.97 for that item (last I looked). Our Publix is about the same as the price you quoted, well over $4 for the same item.
(Of course, be prepared to be told by another poster that Klondike ice cream bars are "garbage" - even though "food snobbery" has nothing at all to do with the subject of this discussion, which is price differences between Publix and WalMart... or so I thought, at one point. Sigh.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 10:22 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
Spring, wow, that is quite a difference ! Our WalMart is charging $2.97 for that item (last I looked). Our Publix is about the same as the price you quoted, well over $4 for the same item.
(Of course, be prepared to be told by another poster that Klondike ice cream bars are "garbage" - even though "food snobbery" has nothing at all to do with the subject of this discussion, which is price differences between Publix and WalMart... or so I thought, at one point. Sigh.)
I was a bit surprised at the difference in price also. Sure, someone may look down on the choice, but nobody doesnt like a Klondike bar.

Yes, this thread is about price differences. If they want to discuss something else, they can start a new discussion.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:32 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I don't like Klondike bars- flavor is good, but they end up being to messy for me- the chocolate shell doesn't crack where it should, and by the time you're halfway through it, the chocolate/vanilla ratios are all messed up, the ice cream is starting to melt, and it's just not working for me.

Gotta say that I do really like Publix's premium ice cream flavors though and will always buy it instead of Breyer's, Edy's and the like if I can't justify Talenti that day. And the 2 for $7 sales prices that cme up often are also quite nice for a product of that quality.

Old 05-31-2014, 03:52 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I don't like Klondike bars- flavor is good, but they end up being to messy for me- the chocolate shell doesn't crack where it should, and by the time you're halfway through it, the chocolate/vanilla ratios are all messed up, the ice cream is starting to melt, and it's just not working for me.

Gotta say that I do really like Publix's premium ice cream flavors though and will always buy it instead of Breyer's, Edy's and the like if I can't justify Talenti that day. And the 2 for $7 sales prices that cme up often are also quite nice for a product of that quality.
I think the low fat vanila regular Publix ice cream is even better than the premium.

The thing about price is you have to check the wt or number of items in the package. All the discounters get you on some items with just a slight difference in the wt etc. and don't always sell the standard size that regular stores sell. For example Walmart might have the same detergent but it has 30 washes instead of 32 etc. and they sell it for 50 cents less etc. At one time Walmart sold Dell ink, but Dell quit dealing with them because they wanted less ink in the cartridge than is usually in it so they could sell it for $1 less than at other stores. Walmart kept packaging the same and stated true amount, but since the packaging is the same the consumer may not pay attention to the fact it actually has less in it. A Dell employee said they got tired of being yelled at by consumers about ink running out faster so they eventually just didn't resign a contract with them and you cannot buy Dell ink there. I notice the same thing happening with one of my make up products when I get it at Walmart. It does not last as long as if I buy it at target.

Also for every item a store sells something cheaper, they sell something higher. It is basically the law of the game of retail. You lure people in for the cheap item and sell more that are not. I walk away from things at Walmart saying, "I can get that cheaper at Publix' quite a bit. If you walk down an aisle at Walmart, you are not getting their bargains and the price may be higher. Their bargains are in the aisle.

A few years back one of the Orlando TV stations did a comparison shop. Albertsons was most expensive, WD was 2nd, and Walmart and Publix actually tied for 3rd highest if I remember correctly.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I think the low fat vanila regular Publix ice cream is even better than the premium.

The thing about price is you have to check the wt or number of items in the package. All the discounters get you on some items with just a slight difference in the wt etc. and don't always sell the standard size that regular stores sell. For example Walmart might have the same detergent but it has 30 washes instead of 32 etc. and they sell it for 50 cents less etc. At one time Walmart sold Dell ink, but Dell quit dealing with them because they wanted less ink in the cartridge than is usually in it so they could sell it for $1 less than at other stores. Walmart kept packaging the same and stated true amount, but since the packaging is the same the consumer may not pay attention to the fact it actually has less in it. A Dell employee said they got tired of being yelled at by consumers about ink running out faster so they eventually just didn't resign a contract with them and you cannot buy Dell ink there. I notice the same thing happening with one of my make up products when I get it at Walmart. It does not last as long as if I buy it at target.

Also for every item a store sells something cheaper, they sell something higher. It is basically the law of the game of retail. You lure people in for the cheap item and sell more that are not. I walk away from things at Walmart saying, "I can get that cheaper at Publix' quite a bit. If you walk down an aisle at Walmart, you are not getting their bargains and the price may be higher. Their bargains are in the aisle.

A few years back one of the Orlando TV stations did a comparison shop. Albertsons was most expensive, WD was 2nd, and Walmart and Publix actually tied for 3rd highest if I remember correctly.
Rabflmom, I agree with EVERY single point you made. I have found it all to be true. Most people do not pay attention to the packaging. It is extremely deceptive, not just Walmart, but other stores like Trader Joe's who claim to sell things cheaper. And like you said, some things might be cheaper but others way more expensive. I do believe Publix and Walmart are a LOT closer than most people believe. It's just all perception. I actually think Walmart is expensive for the poor selection and quality, with no real butcher, baker, etc. They don't sell what I like, plain and simple.

Old 06-01-2014, 01:32 PM

910 posts, read 2,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Beachmouse (love that name!), I agree that Publix's premium ice cream is excellent, and a real deal when it goes on sale at 2 for $7, especially since it is still a full half gallon. They are only putting it on sale about once a month now, so I stock up !

Regarding Klondike bars: I agree they are very messy to eat, but try putting it in a bowl and microwaving it on High for about 8 seconds, just enough to soften up the shell to eat it with a spoon in the bowl. This was a tip I got from a WalMart employee who was stocking them, and it works great ! No more mess.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:23 AM

27,168 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Walmart has also has used since it's beginnings the concept of "loss leader pricing" in each department which has clearly paid off. Gullible consumers see great prices on certain items and assume the rest is such a great deal as well. Furthermore for those who don't eat most of their meals out of boxes/packages the alternative grocery options out there are clearly a better deal in terms of price and quality.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:59 AM

152 posts, read 221,594 times
BOGO's are not the best options if the "regular" price is marked up. There is a tendency to buy more than you need or will use and the products are wasted.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:19 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,167,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCharlotteNewbie View Post
BOGO's are not the best options if the "regular" price is marked up. There is a tendency to buy more than you need or will use and the products are wasted.
Not at Publix. At Winn Dixie it is though.

Old 06-16-2014, 02:53 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCharlotteNewbie View Post
I agree I hate BOGO, it seems they normally have everything priced double so they can offer it as bobo on occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida