Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 AM

150 posts, read 474,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy_bogue View Post
Hi I come on here often and see this alot "its what Florida evolved into" what are they talking about? I know people can be negative on here but alot of people say this statement. I live in the north right now but im moveing to the Orlando area in a few months I love it there I've been many times and every time I seem to get more atached to Florida and everything in it. So why all the negativity about it I think that alot of people come here with blinders on and think its going to be a vacation everyday.
I have the same question. I moved here in 2007, and I love it. Granted, I did get assaulted once, but the incident did not change my opinion about the area.

The only thing I'd change about Florida is the crime rate. It needs to be lower. Other than that, I'm just fine with it. I can't wait to visit the rest of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:04 AM

436 posts, read 1,088,835 times
I see Miami Gardens and Miami Bch both ranked in highest crime rate from 75,000 - 99,000 people. Orlando (at 9th) is right behind Atlanta in 100,000 - 499,000 people category; Cary, NC is 3rd safest in 100,000 - 499,000 category.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haai View Post
I have the same question. I moved here in 2007, and I love it. Granted, I did get assaulted once, but the incident did not change my opinion about the area.

The only thing I'd change about Florida is the crime rate. It needs to be lower. Other than that, I'm just fine with it. I can't wait to visit the rest of the state.
You got assaulted once, and you'd change the fact that you think FL has too high of a crime rate, (which I agree), but it "did not change my opinion about the area?" Well, crime can occur anywhere, but being that you just moved to Tampa, and you have already been assaulted, I think that might change my mind a little bit. But that's me.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:19 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Anyone anywhere can become the victim of crime. I live in Baltimore, a city that consistently ranks way up there in murders and other violent crimes. But if you live here, you know the neighborhoods to steer clear of, and you take precautions when going out and about. I do not live in fear of my life everytime I leave the house. And I was the victim of an armed robbery on the street so I know what it feels like to have a gun pointed at my chest. But I'm not going to let that experience turn me into a recluse. As for Florida and crime, I'm sure certain urban areas are crime-ridden just like urban areas in other states. But there are other areas that are the total opposite. You can't make sweeping generalizations about crime and conclude that the entire state is unsafe. I would imagine that the crime rate in Citrus Springs is vastly different than the rate in Miami.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:22 AM

Janetvj, you are right, to a certain extent. The crime in Citrus Springs is vastly different from Miami. The problem is, many parts of FL that you think are just fine, have more crime than it should. A perfect example is where I live in Orlando. Far east Orlando, in a huge development where houses (back in 2007) ranged from the low $300's up to $1m. I know of two people that have been shot (one died sadly), cars getting stolen out of driveways, numerous strong armed to person incidents, rape, etc.... In FL, it seems to creep in to places you wouldnt think, atleast in many places throughout FL. The panhandle may be a little different or parts of S FL that are really nice, etc... but generally, you just hear of crime everywhere, it's not realy what I'd call "isolated." In Orlando, we do have some bad areas that are always on the news, but you still hear of other serious crimes commited throughout the areas.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:57 AM

1,802 posts, read 8,160,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
Janetvj, you are right, to a certain extent. The crime in Citrus Springs is vastly different from Miami. The problem is, many parts of FL that you think are just fine, have more crime than it should. A perfect example is where I live in Orlando. Far east Orlando, in a huge development where houses (back in 2007) ranged from the low $300's up to $1m. I know of two people that have been shot (one died sadly), cars getting stolen out of driveways, numerous strong armed to person incidents, rape, etc.... In FL, it seems to creep in to places you wouldnt think, atleast in many places throughout FL. The panhandle may be a little different or parts of S FL that are really nice, etc... but generally, you just hear of crime everywhere, it's not realy what I'd call "isolated." In Orlando, we do have some bad areas that are always on the news, but you still hear of other serious crimes commited throughout the areas.
I do not disagree with you at all. The same thing has happened in my area. Just recently, in a waterfront community of solid middle class homes in the Baltimore suburbs a woman was killed by stray gunfire while standing on her front porch. The police say there was some type of drug deal taking place nearby and the buyer attempted to pay for $4,000 worth of marijuana with a roll of money that had a $100 bill on the outside and fake money on the inside. The buyer ran off, down this quiet residential side street, and the seller gave chase shooting at him and instead hit and killed this poor lady. This was not in a ghetto; not a crime-ridden area. Just a regular neighborhood of regular people.

There are many other examples. As you say, crime is creeping into areas that you wouldn't think were unsafe.

Unfortunately, it seems the level of crime that a person finds to be tolerable is more dependent on his or her current circumstances. Florida's overall crime rate is no worse than what I'm used to. But I don't disagree that it may be quite different for someone who grew up in a different environment.

Old 03-28-2009, 02:57 PM

910 posts, read 2,330,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
lol Sunny. Who said that I was struggling? What mistake did I make? Your post doesn't even make any sense.

You do not live here so why are you on all these threads about Florida? Just saying everything is perfect and wonderful about Florida shouldn't and doesn't qualify as advice. People want answers from real RESIDENTS not someone who wants to move here.

Quit starting fights with everyone. I'd expect someone with the name like Sunny to be friendly and kind, lol.

I don't usually respond to your kind. Ignore them and they will go away.......
I started ignoring him or her too, it's kind of hard to lend credibility to statements from someone who just wants to live here. I don't care how long ago they lived here, the place has changed, for better or for worse, that's up to someone's opinion. There ARE some nice places here, but there are also some NOT SO NICE places here, so don't sell this place like it's all "Sunny Delight". Like you said Lakeland, once they've done some time here recently, then they can start talking like "resident experts." Sunny...don't bother replying to me, I have been spending less time here as you've noticed so most likely I won't even bother reading it, I have better things to do now than respond to "flame baiting". (From what I see, it has started getting civil here recently, but some people still insist on launching salvos.) Some "ignore poster" features in other message boards would come in handy, you simply don't see their posts. It was a nice day today, but it is starting to get hot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida