Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2009, 08:05 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,051,400 times

Advertisements

Im planning a month long trip around the perimeter of Florida starting in Pensacola and ending in St. Augustine on the other side . Will one month be adequate time for such a trip ? As i go around the coastline, are there things which are a must see/do in some of the places along the way ? If you could name a few that youve liked, id be appreciative. I will be going to the end of the Keys as well. Thanks for whatever you can offer by way of suggestions and tips . Regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 PM

485 posts, read 1,703,688 times
I love going to the Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park near Crystal River (on Gulf side) to see the resident manatees (they are there year-round) - they also have alligators, flamingos and even a hippo that was once a "movie star." If you are a nature lover, you won't want to miss this special place!

If you love seafood, have lunch at Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach. I'm sure locals will have other restaurant suggestions, but my husband and I really love this casual place with an awesome ocean view.

Have fun on your trip - I'm jealous! There is nothing like roadtripping it through Florida!

Old 03-25-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsystar View Post
I love going to the Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park near Crystal River (on Gulf side) to see the resident manatees (they are there year-round) - they also have alligators, flamingos and even a hippo that was once a "movie star." If you are a nature lover, you won't want to miss this special place!

If you love seafood, have lunch at Frenchy's on Clearwater Beach. I'm sure locals will have other restaurant suggestions, but my husband and I really love this casual place with an awesome ocean view.

Have fun on your trip - I'm jealous! There is nothing like roadtripping it through Florida!

Thanks much ! Ill add these to the agenda.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,773 times
Ai! That sounds so much fun!! You must tell me how it goes! lol

Old 03-25-2009, 06:32 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
Be sure and buy the "Florida State Parks" book, we have more and better state parks than any other state except maybe California.
Then add to it a county park that is top class-DeSoto Park on the southern tip of St. Pete. If you have a dog they have a dog beach. great place for bird watchers or just walk on the many beaches.

Be sure and make advance reservations for Keys state parks (Bahia Honda is a must and John Pennekamp a close second).

If you are going in hot weather seek out the parks with springs and take a cool dip in the most beautiful aqua fresh water you've ever seen. Amazing that Florida has this much fresh water. You can even tube down some (rentals available).

Up north there are some caverns too.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:05 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Oh wow, something I would love to do.

I have been on every decent beach from Maine to Keys West but never all in one trip like you are doing.

I would love to do that.

Tons of great stuff from Pensacola to Marco Island. This will be the best of your trip I assure you.

Awesome! I wish I were in your shoes.

Have a great time and take some pictures for us.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:43 AM

93 posts, read 370,978 times
Sounds like a wonderful fun trip. Enjoy!

Towards the end of your trip just south of St. Augustine in Flagler County check out Princess Place Preserve. The Matanzas Fort tour as you finish your trip up the coast is also nice, both tours are free.

Princess Place there is a lodge there that can be toured but only on certain days around 1 or 2pm(?), otherwise you can peek in the windows. The grounds are naturally beautiful and also has the first pool built in FL and an eagle nesting area, walking trails, estuary. The preserve consists of 1100 acres with beautiful oak trees, marshes etc...

Matanzas Fort tour on A1A going towards St. Aug. crosses a small inlet to the fort and is also very interesting.

Enjoy your trip, wish I was going.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:46 PM

Are there any others who could offer up some info on must see places as i go around the Florida coastline ? Thanks.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:16 AM

16 posts, read 66,194 times
I did the same trip years back. If you golf, buy a lung assc. discount book and play for only a cart fee. I went in warmer months and if you can tolerate the heat, the state campgrounds are empty. Would roll up without a reservation and they would say just drive back in and pick whatever site you want........Great trip, have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida