Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 08:21 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Thats the beauty of the internet... can make up whatever they want, even their lives.
I also believe you have to be 18yrs old to post...not sure some follow that requirement...

"My mommy told me what you say is crap! Just crap! My mommy told me not to listen to you!"
"Moooommmmyyyyy! The voices in my head aren't being nice!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 08:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Well, I am not feeling too great today. The kid I have been working with 1:1 for 3 weeks now, just notified the school that tomorrow will be his last day. He had been living in Florida since January and is now moving to North Dakota. Nobody had any clue he was moving. You want a real life example of a transient state?

Anyway, I have no idea where I will be going on Wednesday. I "bumped" somebody for this job. They may say there is no tenure in education in Florida, but there is certainly what they call seniority. Although I only have 2 years, I am told that is still enough. Read between the lines. I suppose people don't stay very long, do they? My other job before this was eliminated because that boy left also.

Anyway, I am starting to feel like a yo yo. There is only 2 more months of school left and then the REAL cuts will start again.

North Dakota???????? I guess the Florida lifestyle wasn't enough for this family either.

I hope this isn't off topic, but it might not be if they don't place me in another job.
We are facing the same thing here in our district. School levy up for the 3rd time. Bad cuts forecasted...everything. The old & grumpy won't pass it b/c they walked to school barefoot. The young & single won't pass it b/c they live at home b/c of ridiculous SUV payments. And some people just cannot afford the increase in taxes. Increase amount: $9 on $100k/home. In this city, average home price is $175k. Thus, a yearly increase of about $15 & people & schools are bitching & complaining to no end. The school district is just not convincing voters & confusing me at times (teachers on a pay freeze yet under union law some are getting raises). The voters are being paranoid. Someone wrote in to the local newspaper & told the teachers to suck it up & deal with larger classroom sizes. The teachers are miserable b/c their lives revolve around the levy & NCLB regs. RIF is still occurring. It's not pretty.

And my husband asks me why I am not back in the classroom??

Reinventing my professional life. Just cannot afford to count on teaching to support my family. It's sad.

The best thing that may come out of all this is that everyone will have to think outside the box. Not easy, but may be the only way.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Sunny-Days, You've been everywhere and are an expert on everything, huh ?

Just because you vacation in a place and run websites the advertise tourist traps means nothing for the people that actually have to live in that mess. I lived full-time in Florida as recently as 2004 unlike you.

I don't care who you claim to talk to that says the negative things said on this forum are crap. I have come to this conclusion, There are SO many people on this forum that knows what Florida is and says so, I don't believe for a second that every person you talk to just loves the state of Florida. It's b.s., Are you honestly saying that not ONE person you've personally talked to has had anything bad to say about Florida ?

B.S., BTW, I've been a resident for over 10 years now. ( took a 6 month hiatas to return to Orlando in 2004, STILL have dual residency ) I don't care if you spent 200 years there, 3 days a month doesn't make you a Tennessean either although I'm sure you claim to be.
I will never be a Tennessean ever, you do not have to worry about that.
I go to Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg and that is all I want from that state.

I can fill you in on Nashville, ask away. Spent many nights close to Music Row!

Not an expert, just have extensive knowledge from being in many places, traveling, listening and paying attention.

And yes, NOT ONE single person has said a darn thing bad about Florida, one did mention the jobs issue but then said that is everywhere.

I ask anyone who I talk to from Florida questions all the time, have family and many friends who live around the state and have spent a ton of time in Florida for more then 25 years.

I am not a Florida expert, but I do know my stuff!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Don't you guys know that Sunny-Days knows everything. Thats the beauty of the internet, someone like Sunny-Days can make up whatever they want, even their lives.

The beauty of the net is to know when someone is making things up, just because you failed in Florida and did not make it doesnt give you the right to question me all the time.
The other day you WHINED about me following your post, it is not hard to see that you and a few others are doing your normal thing trying to run anyone who praises Florida off.
Well, you have done a great job because some people get sick of certain people complaining about Florida when the problem is not Florida, it is THEM.
I am not going anywhere! I am here to stay and praise Florida for what it is, not what you failed to see what it is.

Yes, I truly believe 75% of the negatives posted here are a line of crap! Made up bull and lies.

Tan knows one of them well, I happen to know the man lied over and over on this board, he tried to screw his own parents out of their business and when they shut his money off he went crying back north. But yet blamed the people of Florida, the state, the crime, the schools, jobs etc.

Didnt he know to do any research before he moved back to Florida? Guess he was not smart enough to pick the right town, but then he went there only because he thought mommy and daddy were going to hand over him a business so he would not have to work for a living.

I can back up my claims, can you?

Old 03-30-2009, 08:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,564,801 times
Crist is not going to reject Fed money. Let me remind our fellow Floridians that we are the only southern state that pays in dollar for dollar to the Feds. Every other southern state gets more in Fed spending than they contribute per capita.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:29 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
just because you failed in Florida and did not make it
So when you leave a location its because you failed? What a rediculous assumption.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
So when you leave a location its because you failed? What a rediculous assumption.
I did not say that DJ, I know "some" "not all" who left Florida failed and wont post it.

They made poor choices and bad decisions and now blame everyone except for themselves.

If you follow my posting and I know you do, I have said over and over, some people just do not like or are not Florida type people and move on, but there are some who I know who have moved to Florida, made bad decision such as the wrong town, overpiad for their home, chose poor schools and a host of things which is the persons fault. Yes, it is YOUR FAULT if you do this.

If you pick the wrong town, the wrong job, the wrong school and do things that cause you problems yes you have FAILED.

I am finding that many ( NOT ALL - so you wont be posting about it ) move to Florida and make huge mistakes and poor choices, do not research etc, then turn around and blast everyone, the state, people, the city and anything they can find to blame but fail to look at the real problem. THEMSELVES.

Reading back here I see that many get excited to move to Florida, then hate it, then move away and continue to hate it and continue to post how bad it was etc etc. But they fail to add is they hate it because they did something wrong, made those bad choices, should have never moved to Florida in the first place etc.

When I see people posted " Back Home" it tells me they have a real problem with leaving "back home" and should not have left in the first place.

If you can not let go of "back home" then you are not going to start off very well in another location as you are looking back and not forward.

So do not put words in my mouth DJ, sure some people do well and just want to move on, but many here I have found did not but you wont find anyone posting about the fact they made mistakes.

I promise you, when we move to Florida and we pick the wrong town, wrong schools, wrong house and do not like it, it will be MY FAULT, I have then failed to do my job in making sure everything was the right choice.

If I make those mistakes, yes, I have failed myself and my family.

One thing I wont do is once I leave Ohio is post in the Ohio forum telling people not to move here. Unless I failed here and hate it so much I need to let out my frustration and the only way to do it is post and blame others.

If I fail in Florida, it will be my fault, not yours, not the states, not anyones fault but mine.

Then again I have the positive attitude that I wont fail, I am doing my research and homework, asking a gazillion questions personally to people etc. looking into schools, and much more.

If I choose the wrong town and schools for my kids, yes I have FAILED.

So I ask you DJ, why do you post in the Florida forum when you hated Florida so bad and couldnt wait to leave, now you are in NJ and still spend all your time in the Florida forum.

Are you trying to save someone from moving to Florida when you know you moved to the wrong area to begin with. I know you moved there because of your parents but man you have other issues we do not know about or something.

What is your goal here?

To make sure no one ever moves to Florida?

Surely it is not to inform posters of your bad experiences in Florida.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I will never be a Tennessean ever, you do not have to worry about that.
Thank god...

Old 10-04-2011, 07:37 PM

22 posts, read 60,481 times
Florida and every other state should take every penny offered to them to help with job growth and stop with all the politics already because people are sick and tired of being sick and tired! Lets create real jobs with real wages in Florida and stop living in the past. Everybody knows that Florida is king of the minimum wage and change needs to come now so middle class people in the state can freaking survive.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:01 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gersh740 View Post
Florida and every other state should take every penny offered to them to help with job growth and stop with all the politics already because people are sick and tired of being sick and tired! Lets create real jobs with real wages in Florida and stop living in the past. Everybody knows that Florida is king of the minimum wage and change needs to come now so middle class people in the state can freaking survive.
Take every penny? Even if it means stealing from our kids and grand kids? Because that is what it is all about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida