U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which one has the best of the criteria listed in the post?
St. Petersburg 16 47.06%
St. Augustine 18 52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2007, 01:02 AM
 
Location: On my way to FLA baby !!
1,999 posts, read 1,260,509 times
Reputation: 357

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
St. Augustine is not cold .

Actually, St. Augustine and St. Pete are in the same basic hardiness zones (same climate).

I live in Jacksonville now, and lived in St. Augustine for a few years as well - you can get through the winters here by layering...truly, the "winter" is a little nip in the air, some cold wind and sometimes a little frost on the lawn - it's over in 3 months and then you work your way towards summer again for the rest of the year.

I imagine St. Pete would be cheaper to live in based on what I've seen of it. St. Augustine, and the NE Florida coast in general, has become quite expensive just in the last 4 or 5 years - NE FL is not the bargain it was just a short time ago. An earlier poster here mentioned $200k for a nice house in St. Pete. A nice house in St. Augustine is going to run you closer to $300k unless it's a fixer-upper or way out at the fringes of the county line.
Depends on what you think is cold. Anything below 50 is cold to me and St Aug hits that quite often while St Pete does not. There are warm breezes on the Guld side and colder breezes on the Ocean side during Dec Jan Feb.
I have looked at homes around the 250k on realtor.com for a while comparing cities for when we move and St Aug is much cheaper for a decent home of the same size and area, community then St Pete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2007, 06:32 AM
 
262 posts, read 848,327 times
Reputation: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
St. Augustine is not cold .

Actually, St. Augustine and St. Pete are in the same basic hardiness zones (same climate).
To someone in the north, St. Augustine will definitely not feel cold. And unless the OP is a gardener, the slight difference in climage won't matter.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but it may be of interest. St. Pete and St. Augustine are not exactly in the same hardiness zone. Although the USDA puts all of Pinellas in growing zone 9b, many areas of St. Pete are now zone 10, esp. downtown and on the beaches. I think this may be due to urban heat-island effect, btw. I'm not sure if St. Augustine is 9a or 9b, but when I used to visit I didn't see royal palms or royal poincianas (very cold-sensitive) growing there, could be wrong about this however. (There are some in our neighborhood in St. Pete.)

Here's a website I found, useful to any gardeners in the forum, where you can enter your zip code and it will tell you what your growing zone is.

White Oak Nursery - Plant Hardiness Zone Map for Hosta, Daylilies, and Other Perennials

Out of curiosity, I entered my zip (and I don't live downtown or on the beach) and it came back zone 10. I entered a zip for St. Aug (near the beach I think) and it came back 9.

Last edited by Suncoaster; 07-22-2007 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: edited for typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 06:56 AM
 
15,199 posts, read 31,159,793 times
Reputation: 18364
Although I wouldn't call St. Augustine "cold" by a long shot, it definitely gets those colder Atlantic breezes compared to the warm Gulf temps of St. Pete.

I love both towns, but they are apples and oranges. St. Augustine has the cute and charming "old town", which is fun to visit (and a HUGE tourist trap) but the surrounding areas, which is most of the town could be anywhere in Fla. Also, if employment is an issue, a commute to Jax might be necessary, and the traffic and time taken for this might be unacceptable. As much as I love visiting, I doubt I personally would ever want to move there.

St. Pete has so much more to offer in terms of affordable housing, arts, culture, entertainment and employment. I am including the whole Tampa Bay Area here. I do agree with one of the above posters that a smaller town nearby like Dunedin might be nice. At least in this area you have a lot more options.

JMO, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 12:04 PM
 
Location: MtP
119 posts, read 260,152 times
Reputation: 38
Default Going to St. Pete for a vacay and a test drive!

Hi all! Thanks for all your wonderful information and advice!
We've actually planned a trip to pop down to St. Pete for a short vacation and an early look-see!
We're coming down at the end of August- We figure if we can stand it at it's absolute hottest/stickey-est then we'll know that we can hack the summers down there! We're staying in St. Pete Beach at the Grand Plaza since it is a vacation too, but we also rented a car so we can see the St. Pete/Tampa area and drive around and scope the place out a bit.

Any trip advice?
Must-see spots
Best Beach
Best breakfast near the Grand Plaza Hotel
Great restaurants in various price ranges
General advice or suggestions

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
151 posts, read 545,835 times
Reputation: 59
I vote for St. Petersburg it's warmer for sure and less tourists! Check out this place on Clearwater beach Clearwater Beach Hotel - Shephard's Beach Resort and Hotel in Clearwater, Florida, we've always had a blast there. We even drive up on Sunday morning for the champagne buffet. Stay away from south St Pete. very bad area.
Kids can swim on the gulf side, less wave action. If that's a consideration of yours. You can always visit St Augustine. Look around for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2007, 02:34 PM
 
Location: palm harbor
471 posts, read 1,511,987 times
Reputation: 238
Best Beach is Pass A Grille.
For breakfast, Hurricane or Seahorse Cafe in Pass A Grille, la croisette-gulf blvd st. pete beach.

must see's are
Fort Desoto
Honeymoon Island
Downtown St. Pete, baywalk, the pier, etc. and while there try Tedasco's Grillside on Central for a great lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 07:22 AM
 
6 posts, read 17,164 times
Reputation: 11
been to both and St Augustine is MUCH BETTER! Check out the homes on Anastasia Island. Very nice neighborhoods and super location. St Petes was dull and nothing to do. If you have kids it wouldnt be the place to go. St Augustine was fantasic! Super nice people in both cities but St Augustine wins hands down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,225,194 times
Reputation: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoaster View Post
To someone in the north, St. Augustine will definitely not feel cold. And unless the OP is a gardener, the slight difference in climage won't matter.

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but it may be of interest. St. Pete and St. Augustine are not exactly in the same hardiness zone. Although the USDA puts all of Pinellas in growing zone 9b, many areas of St. Pete are now zone 10, esp. downtown and on the beaches. I think this may be due to urban heat-island effect, btw. I'm not sure if St. Augustine is 9a or 9b, but when I used to visit I didn't see royal palms or royal poincianas (very cold-sensitive) growing there, could be wrong about this however. (There are some in our neighborhood in St. Pete.)

Here's a website I found, useful to any gardeners in the forum, where you can enter your zip code and it will tell you what your growing zone is.

White Oak Nursery - Plant Hardiness Zone Map for Hosta, Daylilies, and Other Perennials

Out of curiosity, I entered my zip (and I don't live downtown or on the beach) and it came back zone 10. I entered a zip for St. Aug (near the beach I think) and it came back 9.
St. Augustine is mostly zone 9A, but I can tell you that it's a warm 9A.

I live an hour north in Jacksonville and I am also zone 9A, but my mom who lives in St. Aug can grow plants at her house year round that don't make it through the winter here in Jax.

As for not seeing Royal Poncianas, etc., no you won't see them much, but that's mainly because gardeners in North Florida garden in a different way. Plants that are popular in South Florida are just not as popular in North Florida - we're just not interested in having the same look here . So, yes, the flora will look different in North Florida, just as it will look different anywhere once you get a fair distance away from home. Believe it or not, we're not all trying to look, or be like, South Florida .

The US Hardiness Zone Map is a crock anyway. They were all set to update it until they realized how much the climate has changed and held off so they would not "shock" people (they're pretending Global Warming isn't happening ). ArborDay went ahead and publicly posted an updated version. You can view it here - check out the changes:

http://arborday.org/media/zones.cfm

To the OP, don't let people scare you about North Florida being cold. If you were moving to the center of North Florida, that's one thing, but if you're like most people and moving to the coast (and that's what you are considering), I think you'll find the winters quite warm - especially with the trend in the last few years .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-22-2007, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Jax
8,204 posts, read 32,225,194 times
Reputation: 3397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
I have looked at homes around the 250k on realtor.com for a while comparing cities for when we move and St Aug is much cheaper for a decent home of the same size and area, community then St Pete.
You're probably pulling up homes in the North end of the county, which is not at all a location I'd recommend moving to in St. Augustine.

If you're going to live in St. Augustine, Anastasia Island, or just in from the island, is the way to go. Houses on the island are out of many people's price range (often $400k range and up, up, up), but you can come right off island and find some nice neighborhoods that are reasonable.

But as an earlier poster said, if you work in a professional field, you'll likely have to commute to Jacksonville and it is a l-o-n-g commute. In that case, it's better to live in Jacksonville proper (which is nice and you can live near the beach affordably ). If the OP was retired, then I'd bring St. Augustine up on the short list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2007, 07:11 AM
 
6 posts, read 17,164 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
You're probably pulling up homes in the North end of the county, which is not at all a location I'd recommend moving to in St. Augustine.

If you're going to live in St. Augustine, Anastasia Island, or just in from the island, is the way to go. Houses on the island are out of many people's price range (often $400k range and up, up, up), but you can come right off island and find some nice neighborhoods that are reasonable.

But as an earlier poster said, if you work in a professional field, you'll likely have to commute to Jacksonville and it is a l-o-n-g commute. In that case, it's better to live in Jacksonville proper (which is nice and you can live near the beach affordably ). If the OP was retired, then I'd bring St. Augustine up on the short list.



Actually we were there recently and picked up a realestate guide and found the homes on the island to be very reasonable [ 250k] all were ranches but very nice homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:41 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top