U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one has the best of the criteria listed in the post?
St. Petersburg 16 47.06%
St. Augustine 18 52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 07:47 AM

5,702 posts, read 22,256,020 times

Advertisements

St Augustine is my choice....2nd choice after Navarre...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 10:26 AM

8,204 posts, read 32,210,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUMPIES View Post
Actually we were there recently and picked up a realestate guide and found the homes on the island to be very reasonable [ 250k] all were ranches but very nice homes
The island is pretty deep in sections and there definitely are some older neighborhoods (and maybe some infill areas) where you can get "on-island", but the bulk of the housing is much more money, especially east of A1A. Even west of A1A the new development is running $400k or so (developments like Sea Grove that are somewhat walkable to the beach......though you have to walk a distance across a busy section of A1A).

Like anything, there are no absolutes, but the island in general is more expensive - I personally would not suggest to people that there is an abundance of inexpensive homes on the island because I just don't find that to be true.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 AM

10 posts, read 43,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejetski View Post
I'm investigating St. Pet to move also. I have some questions.
What areas are good for singles to live-safety wise?
I have a collie. What about dogs on beach early morning, after dinner?
How is the medical facilities? Do the hospitals combine regular with homeopathy? People's attitudes--friendly, superficial, trusting?
What do you do during hurricanes? Is the any large churches 3500+ non-denominational? The culture diversity? Gators?? Is there parks where I could let my dog run? How about soccer fields?
-The Old NE in my opinion is the best bet. Gulfport, though still on the rise, has some "single person-like" things to offer as well, and it is closer to the beaches.

-There is a dog park on the bay side, about a block from Vinoy Park. I think the cross streets are like 7th Ave and Beach Drive.

-The culture in my opinion is very diverse and artsy, so the attitudes are generally accepting. I found the people interesting and friendly.

-Hurricanes: don't mess around. If you're in the approximated line of fire, then make arrangements to board up your house and head inland, even past Tampa, asap. After Katrina, the Tampa Tribune showed a computer image of what Tampa and surrounding areas would look like if Katrina had hit Tampa Bay, and it has some Tampa sky scrapers covered by the water. But, all shore-lined areas of FL are gambles.

-I believe there is a church on 4th street that is non-demoniational, maybe called Unity? I don't remember for sure; I'm not a church goer and didn't pay too much attention to the churches.

-I never saw a Gator living in st pete, but that doesnt mean anything. They are all over this state, but I grew up in Florida and never had any problems. Don't let your collie walk too close to the edge of fresh water areas, like ponds.

And, try eating at the Garden Restaurant on Central Ave. It was my favorite!

(sorry if this is old news. I couldn't keep reading all of the posts, though!! At any rate, good luck)

Old 01-09-2008, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 6,648 times
St. Pete definitely. I have lived in Tampa, and loved it, and currently live in St. Augustine, and cannot wait to leave. St. Augustine used to be a fantastic place, but in the last few years it is heading down the toilet, led by it's moronic city government officials. They act like a bunch of hillbillies, and IMHO are running the former charm into the ground. Crime in St. Augustine is actually quiet high for its size, and the terrible crime rate in Jax is slowly creeping this way. Culturally speaking, it's also a bit of a podunk. Historic St George Street is turning into just another place to get the typical FL tourist trinkets like you find anywhere else...just with a St. Augustine sticker on them....and Made in China on the back....sigh. As for the beaches, good luck, as access to it continues to shrink and favor the rich. Marinas are coming as well, and the money from their influence is leading to a diminished "historic" feel....aka demolitions of the old.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,212 times
I registered on this site just to respond to this thread. I'm on this site looking for someplace to move to from St. Augustine. I was born and raised here and only left for five years while attending University of Miami. I'm 29 years old and own my house which I bought six years ago for $150k. It's now worth $450k and I'm taking the $ and running. The traffic has gotten horrific in the last two years. The homeless situation is also out of control. Something I did'nt see anyone mention is the drug problem. There is a major crack and prescription drug abuse epidemic. If you raise your child in St. Augustine, they will use drugs. If they never touch drugs they will be one of the 10-20% that don't (that would be my estimation). I admit, I partied my share and grew up. Most of my friends and aquaintences did'nt stop. Something else St. Augustine is well known for is being the home of the 30 year old grandparent. No joke, there are people in their early 30's who have grandkids. And they likes the gubbament cheese too.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:16 PM

49 posts, read 128,567 times
St. Augustine, Beautiful town and very nice people.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:07 PM

34 posts, read 114,645 times
Lived in St Pete for 25 years. Used to be a nice quiet almost boring city comprised of mostly retirees. Its now very expensive, overcrowded and many parts I wouldnt drive through in the daytime. It is surrounded by the gulf and bay which I miss and there are some fun things to do but not enough to get me to go back. Also be aware the city has been bent over by some thugs representing the African American community, not sure how much pull the Uhurus have now but downtown did get brunt to the ground about 10 years ago.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:21 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,346,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet S. View Post
Lived in St Pete for 25 years. Used to be a nice quiet almost boring city comprised of mostly retirees. Its now very expensive, overcrowded and many parts I wouldnt drive through in the daytime. It is surrounded by the gulf and bay which I miss and there are some fun things to do but not enough to get me to go back. Also be aware the city has been bent over by some thugs representing the African American community, not sure how much pull the Uhurus have now but downtown did get brunt to the ground about 10 years ago.

Downtown did not get burned to the ground that is a gross exaggeration.

There was some riots and fires in the city's south side. St Pete is not Bad it is a nice city with alot to do.

Old 01-19-2008, 03:15 PM

1,023 posts, read 2,994,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NP2B View Post
My husband and I are considering a relocation to FL in the next year or 2 and are in the info gathering stage. The 2 places that seem to be fitting our criteria are St. Pete and St. Augustine. (I don't have a thing for saints, it just ended up that way)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any input on which is better for
Schools
Crime
Affordable homes
Culture (Arts, museums, symphony, etc.)
Healthcare/Hospitals (I'm an RN studying to be an NP)
Proximity and quality of public beaches
Community activities (concerts in the park, neighborhood-i-ness)
Hurricaine likelihood
Weather in general
Property taxes/insurance rates

HAVING LIVED IN BOTH...SEE BELOW FOR MY OPINION
Thanks a bunch in advance for your input!
Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any input on which is better for
Schools: St. Aug. St. John's County schools are tops in the state
Crime St. Pete has higher crime. Due to it being a dense area. St. aug is a ton of farmland.
Affordable homes St. Aug will have much more affordable homes. You can steal them right now b/c people overpaid in 2005, and many are for sale.
Culture (Arts, museums, symphony, etc.) St. Pete for sure. Jax area doesn't have much culture, and has a pretty lame downtown. They are trying to kick it up a notch, but Jax cultural areas are a good 45 minutes from St. Aug. St. Aug is good for families, but mainly anything that is not a chain restaurant etc. is right at the beach only.
Healthcare/Hospitals (I'm an RN studying to be an NP) Both areas are good for this. St. Pete is going to have good hospitals closer, but St. Aug is somewhat close to Baptist (great group of hospitals), but pretty far from our other good hospitals (St. Vincent's and Mayo)
Proximity and quality of public beaches St. Pete for sure. There is a beach in St. Aug, but unless you live right there, you can still drive 30 minutes on back country roads to get there from points in St. Aug. St. Pete is in Pinellas County, which is a peninsula, and is only 6 miles wide near St. Pete...so everything is close to the beach....Just much more traffic.
Community activities (concerts in the park, neighborhood-i-ness) Not sure what you deem "neighborhood-i-ness", but probably St. Aug. They have large subdivisions that have pools, gyms, children's activities etc.) However, be aware that most of them have high fees. CDD fees will add up to $2500 per year to your tax bill on top of HOA fees you will pay monthly, quarterly or annually. Be sure to plan on spending $2500-$3500 more per year, every year for a home in there. St. Pete has no CDD fee neighborhoods.
Hurricaine likelihood This will probably cause an argument, but here are some stats for you. #1 St. Aug has been hit more recently than St. Pete (DIRECTLY) However, both have been hit directly over 50 years ago. Due to the statistics of 2004 hurricane season, most people assume St. Pete...however, according to the national hurricane center, any city on the Atlantic has a 70% higher likelihood of being hit directly by a Cat 3 or higher hurricane, as well as a sunami
Weather in general Depends on what you like. St. Pete is more mild. It is a sub-tropical climate. St. Aug is southern. Both are humid, both are buggy. St. Pete will have milder winters, where St. Aug will have a change of season. Right now it is only 40 degrees in St. Aug. Tonight it's getting down in the 30's. It's in the high 60's in St. Pete.
Property taxes/insurance rates This is the kicker of all....St. Pete is VERY VERY HIGH IN BOTH. Property taxes in Pinellas County have skyrocketed beyond some people's means. Insurance, due to the "threat" of the 2004 hurricane season, and no damage....went WAY up. I think there are only 2 insurance co's that write in St. Pete. Citizens, and one other Florida based insurance company. I am going to guess that insurance rates will come down. Initially they went up b/c the insurance companies got their panties in a bunch thinking a big hurricane WAS coming. Never did. Funny thing...Punta Gorda, and areas where the hurricane actually did hit have cheaper insurance rates, and more companies write policies there. The whole insurance co thing baffles me really.

Hope that helps you with your decision. Good luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:29 PM

1,598 posts, read 2,643,074 times
I vote St. Augustine for many of the reasons already stated. I also love St. Petes, but i couldn't live there because I love the beach and red tide is too common an occurrence in the gulf. I know it wasn't on your list of criterion, but it's something to think about.

We did have an outbreak of red tide here in St. Augustine last summer and it was really gross. Smelly dead fish everywhere for two weeks and I couldn't stop coughing. Thankfully, this is a rarity on the NE coast of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or