U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one has the best of the criteria listed in the post?
St. Petersburg 16 47.06%
St. Augustine 18 52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2007, 06:03 PM

119 posts, read 249,911 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a relocation to FL in the next year or 2 and are in the info gathering stage. The 2 places that seem to be fitting our criteria are St. Pete and St. Augustine. (I don't have a thing for saints, it just ended up that way)

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any input on which is better for
Schools
Crime
Affordable homes
Culture (Arts, museums, symphony, etc.)
Healthcare/Hospitals (I'm an RN studying to be an NP)
Proximity and quality of public beaches
Community activities (concerts in the park, neighborhood-i-ness)
Hurricaine likelihood
Weather in general
Property taxes/insurance rates

Thanks a bunch in advance for your input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 07:15 PM

48 posts, read 239,572 times
In my opinion, being a Florida resident of Orlando, but been to St. Augustine many many times and St. Petersburg, I would say St. Augustine. Friendly people, small town feel, low crime, not too much traffic, more history than St. Pete's, good schools, cleaner.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:20 PM

523 posts, read 2,586,841 times
I wouldnt move to either. St Augustine too cool in winter, and St Petersburg too crowded.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:48 PM

489 posts, read 1,823,258 times
I would choose the Tampa Bay area for more job opportunities. Both places are beautiful. I lived in St. Pete for five years and am going back for all reasons that are of concern to anyone relocating to an area. St. Petersburg was not at all crowded to the point of being a hassle to get from place to place, and that includes even during "season". You can hop on the interstate to get from one end of the city to another. I would also imagine that housing is less expensive in St. Pete. (I do know the cost of housing in St. Pete at this time; however, I do not know cost of housing in St. Augustine.) Good luck with your decision!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:14 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,397,661 times
i'm not too familiar w/ st pete, but i do know a little about st augustine and what is has to offer, or where it may be lacking a little, so i will list what i believe is the better choice for each category: i may just give an opinion or a guess here and there though...

Schools = st aug., just b/c i know st johns' co has some pretty good schools.

Crime = st aug crime is pretty low.

Affordable homes = st aug., i know i can get a nice home in the low 200's.

Culture (Arts, museums, symphony, etc.) = st pete

Healthcare/Hospitals (I'm an RN studying to be an NP) = st pete would be my guess, although rn's can get jobs anywhere!!!

Proximity and quality of public beaches = st pete

Community activities (concerts in the park, neighborhood-i-ness) = i would think that you would have more of a family-friendly, native feel in st aug than in st pete. but, not 100% sure.

Hurricaine likelihood = less likely in st aug

Weather in general = easy. st aug. the west coast of fla gets warmer than the eastern side. st aug can be cold in the winter months, more of a seasonal feel. (unless you dont like cooler weather)???

Property taxes/insurance rates = hhhmmmmmm... not really sure --- i would imagine that st aug. would have cheaper rates.

score = 7 to 3, in favor of st aug.

if anyone disagrees, please feel free to correct any of my assumptions/opinions.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:24 PM

458 posts, read 421,364 times
Actually St. Augustine has fairly high crime. Its city data crime index is almost 600. Thats pretty high for a small town when you compare it to the stats for other similiar size Florida cities.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:45 PM

14,602 posts, read 29,438,913 times
Well, both are two of my favorite towns in Florida, but they are different. St. Augustine is very small, and being the "oldest city" is very touristy. It can get very crowded on their small streets and at the restaurants, etc. It is a fun place, but wonder if maybe the novelty might wear off? Not sure how accessible the beaches are, but this is the Atlantic, and I prefer the Gulf.

St. Pete is a much larger city. Very nice for families - lots of art and culture and a FABULOUS downtown on the waterfront. They preserved their beautiful old hotels - many fantastic, laid-back Margaritaville type beaches with neat restaurants. I would think the job opportunities would be better here, as well as a better selection of real estate. I don't know how taxes, etc. compare.

Personally I don't see an appreciable difference in weather, it's all Florida and I've been to St. Augustine in the dead of summer and it was every bit as hot there as the Tampa Bay Area. Hurricanes are a crapshoot anywhere in Florida, there are no guarantees. St. Pete is within an easy drive to a lot of great areas, also with even more things to do.

Not sure what all your criteria are, but hope this helps!

Old 03-26-2007, 08:55 PM

2,227 posts, read 7,397,661 times
hot in summer, but st aug cooler in winter... and summer...

jim king = the crime in st aug must be property crime or the like, it certainly isnt murder. may be property crime or something else???

Old 03-26-2007, 09:08 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,833,022 times
St Augustine is more of a family town and is very friendly....

Old 03-27-2007, 06:28 AM

32 posts, read 214,749 times
Default St. Pete

My wife and I live in St. Pete and love it. The weather is great, the beaches are beautiful, the downtown has great water views, restaurants and cultural opportunities and there are festivals literally all the time. St. Augustine is great to visit, it is very pretty and the crime and school system is probably better than St. Pete. To be honest, both cities are wonderful and you will be happy in either one - but having lived in St. Pete for 3 years I can tell you its great! Also, for big city amenities, I like Tampa alot more than Jacksonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or