Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 02:47 PM

790 posts, read 1,267,656 times

Advertisements

Some species require permits, not sure if buring is allowed but also check with your HOA if you are in that type of neighborhood becuase even if there isnt a ban to take down a certain tree county wide, it may be against your HOA rules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvisconti View Post
Do you have to get a permit to have an arborist trim trees prior to hurricane season
Usually trimming tress is ok and most companies in FL have licenses and insurance to do it safely (some dont so just do a quick background on the company).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:46 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
There are some serious limitations to cutting 'back' some trees/plants near the water. Sea Grapes, for example, grow like weeds from bushes into trees, but, near/on the water (even on one's own property), one is only allowed to cut back about 25-percent and not below 6-feet.

Old 05-19-2014, 07:07 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,070,521 times
Sarasota County has a list of protected heritage and legacy trees.
If you buy a lot to build a house, all trees must be plotted and identified. Trees where the house will sit of course can be removed. Every lot must have 4 trees and if 4 are not remaining, new trees must be planted. [and you will not get a C.O until they are planted] Some cities like Northport also require a 'landscaping' plan to show where approved bushes will be planted.
Existing protected trees on a lot where a home exists must have a permit for removal and even trimming.[# 1 protected tree is Live Oak]
A developer bought an old, small golf course to construct villas and townhouses. The contractor clear cut ALL trees without a permit. The fines and penalties were tens of thousands of dollars and they eventually went bankrupt because they didn't have the cash to pay the fines.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:47 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,895,441 times
I am not an expert on the Monroe County permit rules. But, generally speaking, they require permits for everything. I have found that if one ever has a question, the answer to it in the Keys is "Yes, you need a permit."

On the top of replanting rules though, I do know that for trimming or removal of protected plants in the Keys (of which there are many), you have to have a biologist come out to your home to do an assessment. If they allow you to remove a tree entirely, you will be required to plant a minimum of 6 trees from a list of natives they have to replace it. It goes without saying, mangroves are heavily protected and you definitely need a biologist if a mangrove is on the list of trees you want to trim back.

If you have a question, and are concerned about violating permit laws, it's always best to call the county and ask. There's no better answer than the one you will get from the people enforcing the law you have a worry about violating.

Old 01-02-2015, 05:48 AM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
I grew up in Florida but left in the Eighties for work. It sounds as if the state has gotten more serious about protecting its natural heritage.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,638 times
My condo has gone ahead and started cutting big tree down to the ground. can they do this?

Old 06-23-2017, 06:52 PM

505 posts, read 514,830 times
Would i need a permit to clear overgrown brush that stands 8-10ft tall?

Old 06-24-2017, 07:02 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,140,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
It will help to know what plants you want to get rid of. If you have invasive exotics like Brazilian pepper the state will be happy you are trying to get rid of it. This link might help https://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/plant-di...ebinthifolius/. For anything not an invasive exotic go through the permitting process.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:25 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,631,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRebel View Post
You mean the overgrown brush and trees that are obviously "deteriorated and dying"....

Old 06-28-2017, 03:47 PM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
I've practically cleared my backyard except for the extreme perimeter boarding the fence. Never had any issues. My uncle cleared a solid 5 acres of land on his property. Similarly, no issues. I do have two huge oak trees in my front yard that I hate. A permit is required for those. But no one blinked an eye at my backyard. And yes, they apparently do watch the property, as I received a notification when a fence panel was down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida