U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-30-2009, 06:31 AM

6 posts, read 20,163 times
Question can you cut trees down without a permit in florida?

we just got a lot with some trees on it,but I heard that you can not cut them down without a permit, is that true? Can you burn them on your lot? The lot is in putnam county,interlachen fl.Please let me know.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-30-2009, 07:17 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,615,469 times
You have to have a permit to cut down trees anywhere in the state of Florida but I think there are exceptions... I don't believe you're allowed to burn anything outdoors at this time. Isn't Florida in a drought ?

At any rate, Even if they are allowing burning outdoors, You have to have a permit for that too.

edit:

It is unlawful for any person or contractor to cut down, destroy, or remove any tree without first obtaining a TREE REMOVAL PERMIT, EXCEPT for the following situations. No permit is required when:
  • There are no "trees", as defined in paragraph one (1), on the property involved.
  • Trees are removed as part of a bona-fide agricultural activity in agricultural areas;
  • The trees being removed have deteriorated as a result of age, hurricane, storm, fire, disease, or other act of God;
  • Trees are removed from public rights-of-way or easements for construction or maintenance purposes;
  • Trees are planted and grown for sale to the general public or for some public purpose; or
  • Trees are listed as nuisance trees

Unread 03-30-2009, 07:50 AM

4,242 posts, read 7,169,874 times
Best thing to do is to call your county planning department and get the specs on what's necessary in your area.

We had a couple trees cut down a few weeks back. One of them was deteriorating (a longleaf pine with damage from that never really recovered and was dropping branches on our yard) and two of them were just ugly. And we've had trees taken out at two other times in the past, and the tree service has never said anything about permits. (We're in Okaloosa County, so that can make a difference)

Unread 03-30-2009, 07:55 AM

8,491 posts, read 10,318,566 times
You can take down sand pines or palms any time without a permit, in most areas.

If there is an existing residence you can take down trees without a permit just as long as you leave the minimum required, in most areas.

You can check municode.com for the local codes for that area to find out more.

In most areas once you get a burn permit you just need to call when you are going to be burning. There are regulations on how it must be done and with the drought there will be many restrictions.

Unread 03-30-2009, 01:37 PM

573 posts, read 1,516,803 times
Please please don't burn! It's very dangerous esp on a windy day. that's how some home fires happened during a drought a few years ago. You have to really know what you are doing.

Unread 03-02-2011, 03:03 PM

1 posts, read 11,939 times
Default OK then

I am sure he knows what he is doing. I get the impression that he is going to burn a few trees in a pile away from the house.
Not just pour gasoline over the woods and light a match.

Unread 03-02-2011, 03:10 PM

9,577 posts, read 14,338,783 times
You CAN NOT burn now!! We are in a drought with wildfires sprouting all over. Please call your county for info.

Unread 03-02-2011, 03:22 PM

492 posts, read 627,494 times
Google "tree removal Florida law" Here is one site, looks like they have sites for every county.
Florida Laws on Cutting Down Trees | eHow.com

Larry - Hobe Sound, Fl

Unread 03-02-2011, 05:23 PM

8,491 posts, read 10,318,566 times
Well I certainly hope the OP already made a decision on what to do with the trees after 2 years.
If she is still deciding I think she gets the ultimate procrastinator award.
That being said, the person that made an account and bumped this thread, after it was dormant for 2 years, for his one and only post gets the most useless bump award.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida