Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2007, 03:06 PM

5 posts, read 24,510 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am Yvette, I am 27 years old and I have a 3 year old son. I currently live in Oklahoma. I work in IT (Information Technology - another words I fix computers, network administration, etc) and my son is in Daycare while I am at work. I have a Lovely new home here. All my family is here. A very strong support system is here... BUT WE WANT OUT LOL

No No... Its not like that. I want to move away for 1 YEAR - Thats it... ONE YEAR. My Dreams since I was old enough to drive was to DRIVE right out of Oklahoma, Live by the beach, and Drive right back home when I was ready to raise a family. Well now me and my lil man have our own thing going here, which is great, but he will be starting Kindergarden in a few years and I want us to do this together. I know that it will be tough but it something that I really want to do, I do not want to be 80 saying man I never got to because I was to chicken to GET OUT THERE AND GO!

Anyways - Like I was saying my support system is great. My parents are going to take care of my home here while I am gone. I just have to find where I want to go now.

Where would be a good place for me and my son to live for a year, close to the beach, good IT jobs, close to town, small town/big town doesn't matter, SAFE, SAFE, SAFE, and fun for us to live for approx a year???!?!?!?!?

Please give me advice if you have any and please, I know you are thinking of my son when you try to change my mind (EVERYONE TRIES - no one wants me to leave home where we both have it so good) But if ANYTHING - ANYTHING - ANYTHING was to happen we would have a plane ticket home in 2 minutes of 2 GRANDPARENTS knocking on the door within record time.

I just want to do it before my son starts schoool because then I know we will be in Oklahoma until he graduates

Please Reply - I can't wait to hear from you!!!!

-Yvette
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 04:32 PM

489 posts, read 2,010,760 times
The biggest problem I see with this scenario is the fact that you want to do this before he starts school - - which means that you will have to entrust his care to someone who is a stranger in a city you have no contacts in or know anything about? That would be my biggest concern. I think any parent who has a kid in daycare in Florida needs to respond to your post and tell you what city they are in and who they are trusting with their child. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2007, 06:01 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,156,426 times
In Lighthouse Point there is a wonderful, nurturing preschool called the Children's Castle. Miss Elin was there when my kids (now 13 and 10) were there while she attended college and I see that she is still there. I can't say enough about it.

You could also find rentals in LHP, which is a very safe city. Some are on the water, others in easy walking distance to the intracoastal. A couple of miles to the beach and close to Fort Lauderdale and Boca, so jobs in your field should be plentiful.

I say go for it!

Old 03-27-2007, 10:08 PM

148 posts, read 875,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
The biggest problem I see with this scenario is the fact that you want to do this before he starts school - - which means that you will have to entrust his care to someone who is a stranger in a city you have no contacts in or know anything about? That would be my biggest concern. I think any parent who has a kid in daycare in Florida needs to respond to your post and tell you what city they are in and who they are trusting with their child. Good luck!
Hey you shouldn't be switching her question around...

Old 03-27-2007, 10:56 PM

142 posts, read 577,355 times
If you were looking for 5 or 6 months, I'd consider renting you my home in Port Saint Lucie as I go to Pennsylvania from May to the end of Oct.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:13 AM

Smile Good Morning!!

Wow!
Hi Everyone!! Thats so neat I got so many responses!!

Good Morning Fedup ~ First off, what are you fedup with? Florida?? Come to Oklahoma hahaha you might change your mind! Just KIDDING - Anyways, I understand about the trusting someone to take very good care of my son. He has been cared for by my younger (22yr old) sister since he was born until just last Jan. He likes his new Daycare and I like the people too. He just turned 3yrs old in March. So I thought it was time to get him around other lil kiddos to make friends. I will be looking for a Preschool or Learning Center. Daycare will be last. We are on all the waiting list for the good preschools here. They are just ALWAYS full. Which is what I believe will be the case down there as well. Thats why I would love to know good coastal areas that rent is reasonable, safe area, good jobs. Throw names at me! I just wanna read read read about them! I want to do all my research. Then I am going to take a trip down there. Look at my finial ones and pick our destination.

Hello Hereinfla - Thanks again for your reply. Lighthouse Point looks like a pretty neat area. But it looks like most of the water areas are marinas. Do they have sandy beaches there? for us to play in, build sand castles, swim in the waves? or are there any close by??

Hi there In2dadark - I am In2daSUNLIGHT!! Sooooo why do you leave FLORIDA for Pennsylvania for?? Just wondering, being kinda nosey! I did a map of Port Saint Lucie and that is pretty darn close to the water!!! Do you guys have sandy beaches and waves? I am getting alot of back and forth about whether to go with the Gulf or Atlantic side. Any pros or cons come to mind??

Thanks everyone for your reply. I am googled out!!! There needs to be a website for every state that says - IF YOU WANNA MOVE TO THIS STATE - Don't move to this CITY. That would make things MUCH easier!!!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:47 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,156,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvette2783 View Post
Wow!
Hello Hereinfla - Thanks again for your reply. Lighthouse Point looks like a pretty neat area. But it looks like most of the water areas are marinas. Do they have sandy beaches there? for us to play in, build sand castles, swim in the waves? or are there any close by??
LOTS of beaches- Pomano Beach- 3 miles- we could ride our bikes- get a child seat for your son and wear sunscreen! Deerfield Beach- 4 miles

Can't get these pix to be larger, but you could google pix.

Here's Pompano Beach-
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/pompanobch-1.jpg (broken link)

We could see the lighthouse at night from the bedroom of our place.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/lighthouse.jpg (broken link)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w76/kshellyflorida/lhp.gif (broken link)

Old 03-28-2007, 12:57 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,348,115 times
You didn't say, but are you planning to work here? I live in Broward County (Fort Lauderdale). If you are coming from an area with no beaches, both coasts seem like a dream. When we want to go to a really nice beach, we always drive to the west coast between Marco Island - Tampa. White sands, etc.

Day care would be my main concern. Have you sent out any resumes?

Old 03-28-2007, 03:40 PM

Default resumes

Yes sir, I have actually put my resume out on websites to and there seem to be alot of opportunities out there. I just don't have a general idea of where is best for me to aim in on. I don't think finding the job will be a problem because I also have done contracts for IT and they always pay very well, so that might be an option also.

I just have to find a reasonable, safe, area, with all the pretty surrounds I want for a year but not far from all the fun city stuff that me and my son can get to without driving forever

its hard weeding through all these towns online. I wish I could just go down there and DRIVE until I found one that jumped out and bit me!! hahaha

-Yvette

Old 03-28-2007, 07:43 PM

489 posts, read 2,010,760 times
My recommendation would be for the Tampa Bay area because other than Ft. Myers, Lehigh Acres, Cape Coral, Bonita, Naples, and LaBelle, I do not have personal firsthand knowledge of any other areas (I lived in St. Pete happily for five years prior to coming down to Ft. Myers).

For the record, Yvette, my screen name is Fed Up In Ft Myers. I am not fed up with FL. I cannot logically be fed up with the entire state as I've not lived in the entire state of FL. Again, I wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida