Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM

478 posts, read 1,319,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Its not? Care to back that up with some facts? Not longer a popular relocation state? Or are you confusing the retirees with relocation people? I dont think I have to check the data. I seriously doubt that FL is the most popular relocation states now. But if your correct, then your correct, but I doubt.

The numbers are staggering of those who moved out of Florida and moved back or are planning on moving back. Very interesting, that suprises me a lot. It's probably people from the NorthEast that moved to TN and now want to move back b/c it gets cold for 3 or 4 months in TN.

Why on earth would long time citizens from the north ever move back to a cold weather state? I dont know, not my situation, not my decision. Not going to happen. They left the cold to enjoy their life in the sunshine. Sunshine? Yes. But do you relaize how hot it gets in FL? People come down here and die from the heat. You will also find that many snowbirds are not coming back for the winter much any more, they are staying in Florida longer and coming back for short visits and heading back to Florida. Lucky us!

Last time I checked Florida moved past NY as the 3rd most populated state and had two of the fastest growing counties in America. I didnt know that; that's news to me.

As those natives and long timers move out it makes room for the explosion of people from the rust belt areas to the south. We cant wait!

Hey if you are going to struggle why not do it in Florida where the COL is less in most areas then towns in the rust belt even today? I agree. But you have to find a job first. Hard to do.

COL comparison of my current town to the town at the top of my list would save me more then 20% of my money. And you'll make 20% less most likely.

I'm just trying to tell it like it is. That's all.

Posted from on a study done in Pittsburgh Pa recently.

Perhaps even more important, the great housing advantage seems certain to weaken as a net positive. As prices in Florida, Arizona and even California begin to decline, Rust Belt residents who've been thinking of moving to warm weather, more dynamic economies and lively entrepreneurial environments will now have their chance.

The lower the home prices go in Florida ( and come back to real values ) you will see more people from the rust belt taking advantage of that.
Probably so, or they'll go to other states throughout the Southeast. Either way, I'm sure they are coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 12:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,020,610 times
Default You are posting copyrighted material

Quote:
Its not? Care to back that up with some facts? Not longer a popular relocation state? Or are you confusing the retirees with relocation people?

The numbers are staggering of those who moved out of Florida and moved back or are planning on moving back.

Why on earth would long time citizens from the north ever move back to a cold weather state? Not going to happen. They left the cold to enjoy their life in the sunshine. You will also find that many snowbirds are not coming back for the winter much any more, they are staying in Florida longer and coming back for short visits and heading back to Florida.

Last time I checked Florida moved past NY as the 3rd most populated state and had two of the fastest growing counties in America.

As those natives and long timers move out it makes room for the explosion of people from the rust belt areas to the south.

Hey if you are going to struggle why not do it in Florida where the COL is less in most areas then towns in the rust belt even today?

COL comparison of my current town to the town at the top of my list would save me more then 20% of my money.

Posted from on a study done in Pittsburgh Pa recently.

Perhaps even more important, the great housing advantage seems certain to weaken as a net positive. As prices in Florida, Arizona and even California begin to decline, Rust Belt residents who've been thinking of moving to warm weather, more dynamic economies and lively entrepreneurial environments will now have their chance.

The lower the home prices go in Florida ( and come back to real values ) you will see more people from the rust belt taking advantage of that.
The "study" from Pittsburgh, Pa is copyrighted material. You are posting an author's exact words without giving him (or his publication company) credit for his writings. Worse yet, you have distorted his examination of possible trends to suit your personal agenda.

This is the commentary to which you are referring:

JoelKotkin.com - Rust Belt realities (http://www.joelkotkin.com/Urban_Affairs/PTR%20Rust%20Belt%20realities.htm - broken link)

Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,241,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Probably so, or they'll go to other states throughout the Southeast. Either way, I'm sure they are coming!
US Census Press Releases (http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/population/004704.html - broken link)

This is just one place I have read that Florida, Texas and California will rise in population.

Florida will move ahead of NY in population by 2011 according to the information.

This is a quote from a Presidential Premier Awards winner and one the top real estate sales people in the entire US.

http://andyweiser.com/articles/2008_Florida_Population_Continues_Growth.htm (broken link)

“Job growth has been higher in Florida than the national average,” Smith says, adding that the largest increases in jobs during the past year have been in leisure and hospitality services, education and health service. “You also have to factor in Florida’s climate, with its relatively warm winters, which continues to attract people from the Northeast and Midwest from one year to the next.”

Although less significant than employment, retiree migration stands to become increasingly important in the future.

“Over the next 20 years as the baby boomers reach retirement age, the probability is high that many of them will want to move to Florida,” Smith says.

Other Interesting Florida Facts

Number of people who move to Florida each day - 1,000

Number of major commercial airports - 19

Number of international airports - 12

Number of deepwater ports - 14

Miles of sand beaches - 1,200

Miles of coastline - 1,800

Number of golf courses - more than 1,250
-Florida has more golf courses than any other state
-Palm Beach County has more golf courses than any other county in the country

Number of hotel rooms in Florida - more than 370,000

Number of campgrounds - 700 (100,000 campsites)

Number of people who camp in Florida each year - 6 million

Florida has 67 counties, fifteen of which are among the fastest growing in the nation according to the U.S. Census Bureau’s report of the 100 fastest growing counties nationwide July 1, 2004 to July 1, 2005. This statistic includes the nation’s fastest growing county, Flagler County. The population of Florida retirement communities is growing rapidly, thanks in great part to the thousands of baby boomers moving into the state each year.

I have been telling people here that in 2011 when the largest group of boomers hit retirement age that they will have money and will be heading to warm weather, mainly to Florida. The stats above and other states on the net show this as well. Even congress knows this.

Amazon even has a new book you can purchase "Florida for Boomers".

Another article I read said that if the economy picks up and housing markets follow that many more people will be selling homes in the rust belt and will be moving to warmer weather.

http://i731.photobucket.com/albums/ww318/SunnyDays90/FLORIDAPOP.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Sunny-Days-in-Florida; 04-07-2009 at 12:43 PM..

Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
The "study" from Pittsburgh, Pa is copyrighted material. You are posting an author's exact words without giving him (or his publication company) credit for his writings. Worse yet, you have distorted his examination of possible trends to suit your personal agenda.

This is the commentary to which you are referring:

JoelKotkin.com - Rust Belt realities (http://www.joelkotkin.com/Urban_Affairs/PTR%20Rust%20Belt%20realities.htm - broken link)
I am allowed to post a small quote as long as the link is there. I thank you for posting the link so now he has the credit which is within the TOS.

How can I distort something that was quoted?

You can read it your way and I will read it mine, I really do not care what your thoughts are as I know you are one of those who cannot stand anything positive about Florida to be shown.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:28 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,594,961 times
Those are all predictions, not actually statistics, which show otherwise.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Those are all predictions, not actually statistics, which show otherwise.
Oh, so now we cannot use predictions from reliable sources?

So our elected congress members are using them, then it must be right!!!!!

Just to let you know predictions and forecast is how things work, its how businesses and marketing people grow, they base their NEXT YEARS, 5 YEARS, 10 YEARS marketing on.

Also, the prediction in 1995 that Florida would grow xxx of people when the 2000 census came out was DEAD ON RIGHT !!!

So you want to use current up to date numbers do ya? How about reading them all, most of them are current.

Then why in the h--- do you always post that Floridas population is declining based on the number of driver license given out and numbers of Van lines moving people out.

Which way do you want it?

If you can judge peoples movement by some stupid van lines statistics then I can sure use the darn census bureau which is the real deal.

Deal with it, the population is going to grow in Florida in time, even a best selling book was published stating so.

Old 04-07-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
As of July 2008, NY still had more people than Florida. It still has more House and Senate seats too.

List of U.S. states by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your link and statistics are NEARLY 2 YEARS OLD Tan....

So it is useless.

Look ahead not backwards! We can do nothing about what is behind us but we have to be prepared for what is in front of us.

Maybe this band of misfits in congress finally has got something right afterall.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:10 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,020,610 times
Cool Is there a moderator or a lawyer in the house???

Quote:
I am allowed to post a small quote as long as the link is there. I thank you for posting the link so now he has the credit which is within the TOS.

How can I distort something that was quoted?

You can read it your way and I will read it mine, I really do not care what your thoughts are as I know you are one of those who cannot stand anything positive about Florida to be shown.

City Data terms of service: Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

You posted a direct quote from a copyrighted publication without a link and gave no acknowledgment to the author. Then, you inserted a statement of your own personal volition that you made sound as if the author had included in his writing. In case you forgot, "The lower the home prices go in Florida ( and come back to real values ) you will see more people from the rust belt taking advantage of that"..... is your statement and not of the author's. Yes, your crass, critical remarks and personal naivete are what keeps the copyright lawyers in business

Old 04-07-2009, 03:07 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
^^You tell her!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
City Data terms of service: Copyrighted Material - Instead of copying-and-pasting articles, photos, or other material you find on the Internet, you should be posting links to those articles. Posting a snippet from the article and then the link is the appropriate way to post.

You posted a direct quote from a copyrighted publication without a link and gave no acknowledgment to the author. Then, you inserted a statement of your own personal volition that you made sound as if the author had included in his writing. In case you forgot, "The lower the home prices go in Florida ( and come back to real values ) you will see more people from the rust belt taking advantage of that"..... is your statement and not of the author's. Yes, your crass, critical remarks and personal naivete are what keeps the copyright lawyers in business
I am sorry you cannot comprehend my statement and in no way did I infringe on any copyright law.

I merely forgot to add the link which is easy to do and it had been added so no harm done to anyone.

I am very sure you make mistakes in your posting and because I defend Florida you and a few others always make sure to destroy anyone's postings that go against your thinking.

To bad you have the time to become a legal expert and not working on bettering your own life, instead you find time to break down certain posters who do not agree with you and your thoughts.

Maybe you could coach others on how you are allowed to have your own opinion and it's ok if you do. I sure hope you did not coach your kids to think that there opinion does not count, that would be sad.

Do you have anything to offer anyone about Florida??? Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida