Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you plan to stay in Florida til you die?
Yes! 16 35.56%
Heck No! 21 46.67%
Note Sure yet. 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:08 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times

Advertisements

Middle aged with small children, lived in several states and overseas, plan to stay here forever, but still want to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:15 PM

4 posts, read 20,485 times
I am one of those northerners who has retired and moved here. I love it here. I don't understand when people say they are looking for "friendlier" people. I have found the people I meet to be very nice and friendly. I have run into a few grouches, but where won't you find some. I plan on staying here (primarily) for whatever time I have on this earth. But, I do like to go up to Pa. and visit with my son and his family. Love those grandchildren. Bottom line is Florida is now my home and I just love it.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:35 PM

80 posts, read 177,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sometimes I have to wonder when people say they seek "friendlier folks" elsewhere. I suppose in some of the more stereotypical "friendly" places like the deep South, ones experience with "Southern Hospitality" the amount of "friendliness" from the locals is often experienced differently between people of different races, backgrounds, sexualities, and religions. I'm sure for many "Florida natives," that fit a particular mold of "acceptableness" in parts of the friendly deep South, it IS a much friendlier, more comfortable place to live than say, South Florida, where they may not say please, thank you, and honey, but they just might ACCEPT you, which, in my opinion, is 100x more important than "Y'all have a god blessed day, ya hear?"

That being said, I put "Don't know yet." I like where I am, but that doesn't mean I won't be up for change or a new adventure somewhere else someday (I think that is true for most people, to be honest). I'm much too young to be making death plans anyway!
Most places where Floridians are moving to, NC/TN, etc... arent really "the Deep South" atleast, not anymore. A lot of people from different places, but not many from Cuba. Kind of like South FL, but the "newbies" are far more friendly. NC/TN just seems to attract a different bunch than S FL. NC and TN have a lot more natives than FL does, so it does have more of a southern charm, but still, they have a lot of transplants. S FL might be more accepting to some cultures because its a melting pot, and they just have had to deal with it. Some places throughout the south dont have that aspect, so it is far more unfamiliar. But I find S FL to be filled with rude and cranky people, many of which are retirees.

PS - I have never heard someone say, "Ya'll have a god blessed day now, ya hear." Not in FL, NC or TN.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:00 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,457,397 times
Great post, I have to agree with everything you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rae the Chef View Post
FL is very transient, no doubt about it. I said "heck no" because even though I am native to FL, I just want a lifestyle similar to what many of us once had in FL, that is much harder to find nowadays. I want something other than hot 3/4 of the yr and cool 1/4 of the yr. I want to see mountains and hills, and be around friendlier folks, it's not what FL is that's my problem, it's what it's become that I dont like much.

I think in your poll, you will find most of your "yes" answers will be from people who moved here from up north to retire. I would bet that most young families, and folks that were born here, young to middle-aged wouldnt mind trying another state to live in, especially with the economy and the job situation.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:44 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
[quote=Rae the Chef;8157137]But I find S FL to be filled with rude and cranky people, many of which are retirees.

I don't know much about South Florida but I want to defend retirees. We're loaded with retirees here in Vero Beach and everyone is always smiling and polite. I'd be happy to grow old and die here.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:58 PM

VeroBeach, I have been to VB many times, and it is a nice, friendly place!

Old 04-02-2009, 02:15 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,660,026 times
I voted Heck No, but since I am 60 years old that puts me in a unique situation to most other posters. At my age, one can never know. In fact, when I first came down here to join my husband 2 years ago, we actually discussed this. I told him if I were to die in Florida, I want to be cremated and my ashes flown on a plane back to NY. I do not want to be buried and be in Florida for eternity. He told me he felt the same way.

Hell, I don't want to die in Florida. Although I HOPE to only be here for 5 more years, one can never know when you are a certain age. Although I would like to share a little story on this.

I had a life threatening pregnancy in my early 30s with so much internal bleeding that the doctors called it a miracle that I hadn't gone into a coma. The discussed this in front of me as if I couldn't hear or understand what they were saying. Without getting into detail, they treated me like a dog. There was one Jamaican intern on staff who went out of his way to be nice to me. He told these other doctors, and I quote, "The mind is one of the most powerful tools in all of medicine." This man knew EXACTLY what he was talking about. I WILLED myself to stay awake because I had something I HAD to accomplish in life; see my daughter grow up.

I feel the same way now. I WILL live to get out of Florida, even if that is only for a short time after I move. I WILL RETURN. It is my ulitimate goal for the remainder of my life in this world.

I suppose that is "powerful" enough?

Old 04-02-2009, 02:17 PM

TANaples, I hope you can get back to NY. You seem too unhappy in FL to stay here.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:50 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,211,279 times
Husband's Great Grandparents - moved here from Ohio and Pennsylvania
Husband's grandparents - born and raised in Florida
Husband's parents - born and raised in Florida
Husband - born and raised in Florida
Son - born, raised - still living and working in Florida.....

Looks like we'll be here awhile! LOL

Old 04-02-2009, 04:15 PM

5 posts, read 10,333 times
Back to the hills, never to return. I can't wait!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida