Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 07:09 PM

483 posts, read 886,448 times

Advertisements

I live over in Mobile and my fiancee and I frequently drive over to this area because it's so gorgeous. (I also have family in Pensacola and the Gulf Breeze/Navarre area). Though we're not "really local" we're only 2 hours away and we prefer to eat at local type places away from the rowdy, obnoxious tourists with the bratty kids.

Also, we almost always stay at the Sandestin Hilton (and try to mostly go from Nov-Feb to avoid the crowds). We occasionally go during the spring and summer because we love the area so much. Like the locals, I am tired of the constant crowds and resorts overrun with rambunctious kids. We like peace and quiet and wouldn't mind mingling with the locals and have a place that feels like a second home and not Disney World. The staff at the hotel always send us to the touristy places though I tell them I do NOT want that.

We're looking into maybe staying in Seaside or one of the other South Walton communities next time as they aren't as bad. We do like all the amenities of the resorts though. We were over there this weekend, and it was crowded. After getting so angry and frustrated with the crowds, we decided to not to go the Village at Baytowne Wharf but head east to the smaller communities. We wound up eating at Pandora's in Grayton Beach. It was fabulous---a quiet, local place with NO rowdy families. We loved it!

It looks like the brunt of the tourists come from northern AL, MS, LA, and GA. We tried to avoid anything that had multiple SUVs with car-top carriers in the parking lot.

Also, we plan on getting married over there in November and are looking for a small, inexpensive, PEACEFUL place for a wedding and reception (50-75 people). We chose November because of the cooler weather and the quiet season there.

Any helpful ideas? I'd love to retire here one day but being only 27, that's a long time off. I'm thankful to be close enough to just be able to run over there any weekend I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I'm not certain what their rental fees are, but Eden State Gardens overlooking the Bay in the Point Washington area on the north side of US 98 is a lovely spot for a wedding if you don't have to be right on the beach.

Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM

807 posts, read 3,187,166 times
That's a good suggestion. There are lots of weddings here in Rosemary Beach, but it can be really expensive. The closer to the Gulf, the more $$$$

Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
For all that they're probably in the middle of raising fees to compensate for other budget cuts, the rates at state/local/national parks are probably going to be somewhat reasonable compared to private venues.

If they don't get leveled by another storm this summer, the soon to be rebuilt pavilions at the Opal Beach section of Gulf Islands NS west of Navarre could work out to be fairly affordable if you want an actual beachside wedding. It's not quite South Walton but the view there is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: