U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM

569 posts, read 1,135,880 times

Advertisements

I just want to let everyone know that Florida has officially rejected the unemployment extension signed by Obama recently. I asked about it and I was told that Crist and the legislature do not feel things are bad enough in Florida to warrant the extension. They spent the money elsewhere. They seem to have kept this stunt a total secret and I can see why. Florida is in a free fall and needs help. I guess 10% unemployment and in reality much higher is not enough. Maybe when Crist loses his do-nothing job he will feel differently. I have been unemployed for over a year now and let's not even mention Florida being ground zero for the housing bust. At least Bush signed two extensions and the states had to honor them.

Good going Obama and Crist. What a way to pass a phony law!! Pelosi and Obama should have made the extension mandatory like Bush did.

Any way I thought my millions of fellow unemployed Floridians would want to know this since it has been kept so quiet. Bombard Crist with emails and phone calls. Also the FL legislature. I know I am. Good luck and keep the faith.

Last edited by psouth; 04-10-2009 at 01:35 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 PM

5,807 posts, read 5,876,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I just want to let everyone know that Florida has officially rejected the unemployment extension signed by Obama recently. I asked about it and I was told that Crist and the legislature do not feel things are bad enough in Florida to warrant the extension. They spent the money elsewhere. They seem to have kept this stunt a total secret and I can see why. Florida is in a free fall and needs help. I guess 10% unemployment and in reality much higher is not enough. Maybe when Crist loses his do-nothing job he will feel differently. I have been unemployed for over a year now and let's not even mention Florida being ground zero for the housing bust. At least Bush signed two extensions and the states had to honor them.

Good going Obama and Crist. What a way to pass a phony law!! Pelosi and Obama should have made the extension mandatory like Bush did.

Any way I thought my millions of fellow unemployed Floridians would want to know this since it has been kept so quiet. Bombard Crist with emails and phone calls. Also the FL legislature. I know I am. Good luck and keep the faith.
This is classic politics especially Obama style. Say one thing on TV but do nothing of the sort.

Crist was running around promoting the Obama bill real loud.

I believe there WAS an issue with the bill that required the states to give unemployment to part time workers AND to carry the burden in the future from UNFUNDED mandate meaning the Feds would NOT pay for the unemployment bennies but the states had to themselves.

But if they voted against it for those reasons they owed it to the citizens to make it very public and explain why just like Jindal and Sanford did with their states.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:54 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,331,041 times
People are already distancing themselves from the eventual Obama implosion. Crist will be a hero in 3 years. How he "did it" does not important, the fact is that he did it.

Obamites are so concerned with form, style, and pizaaz. What happened to function?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:18 PM

13,496 posts, read 25,482,785 times
This issue has absolutely nothing to do with Pres. Obama. He offered the $$ to the states and if your Gov. doesn't have the sense or the foresight or the compassion for the unemployed to take that money, you can point your finger right at that Gov. HE is the one denying you of these funds and there is absolutely no reason that the Administration should force states to take this money.

He's probably doing a political ploy. The Gov. in La. also is turning down stimulus funds. He plans on running on the Republican ticket for Prez in the next election.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:23 PM

478 posts, read 898,862 times
PSouth, how long can you get unemployment benefits? Is it still 26 weeks or is it 46?

Old 04-10-2009, 02:37 PM

8,489 posts, read 11,384,772 times
The benefit of taking the funds for it now would be a huge burden for what we would have to fund later.

Much like much of the current bailout, we will have bailout hangover coming down the line.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 PM

5,807 posts, read 5,876,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
This issue has absolutely nothing to do with Pres. Obama. He offered the $$ to the states and if your Gov. doesn't have the sense or the foresight or the compassion for the unemployed to take that money, you can point your finger right at that Gov. HE is the one denying you of these funds and there is absolutely no reason that the Administration should force states to take this money.

He's probably doing a political ploy. The Gov. in La. also is turning down stimulus funds. He plans on running on the Republican ticket for Prez in the next election.
Correction, he offered the money WITH STRINGS ATTACHED.

Once they take the money they ARE REQUIRED to continue to pay for the program AFTER THE FEDS STOP.

It was not free money just for "now". It has long term consequences just like the bailout.

And WHY should the states be REQUIRED TO PAY FOR PART TIME WORKERS' UNEMPLOYMENT.

That was NOT optional in the bill. I have nothing against unemployment my kid was on it, but the FEDS are trying to control the STATE's social service programs by for example sneaking in that part time workers deserve unemployment.

Edited to add: Forcing a PERMANENT CHANGE in State's unemployment compensation rules such as paying to part timers is NOT STIMULUS but it's a SOCIAL PROGRAM snuck into legislation which was perfectly well known that the money was an ENTICEMENT to force states into political pressure by it's citizens and really just becoming more 'liberal" nanny states.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-10-2009 at 02:53 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 05:05 PM

I understand there are fiscal reasons for rejecting the money. I also know the law was written improperly in the first place. It should have been a simple extension with no strings attached just as under Bush. Instead it turned out to be a fiasco. Unfortunately this money is badly needed by the unemployed to stay afloat and support local businesses at the same time. Now the unemployed have to suffer further with the economy going further into the abyss.

One thing that really bothers me is that Crist was all over the news and traveling around the country in the national spotlight supporting the bill and supposedly empathizing with Floridians about the state of the economy and feeling their pain, etc. Then I never heard a thing about rejecting the extension. It was like it was done quietly in the middle of the night hopefully so no one would notice. At least Gov. Jindal of Louisiana and Gov. Perry of Texas owned up to their same decisions. They made the decision and then announced it and defended it. Where is Gov. Crist now?? He never mentions a word. This just seems a little shady to me.

Last edited by psouth; 04-10-2009 at 05:23 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 05:16 PM

61 posts, read 128,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I understand there are political reasons for rejecting the money. I
No, it's not political... like Scissors says, Governors across the land are rejecting this federal extortion for "fiscal" reasons... mainly the continuation clauses after the federal money runs out. This by itself has the potential to bring any state to its knees down the road.

- Ric (who doesn't quite understand this, "spend out way out of trouble" stuff).

Old 04-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicT View Post
No, it's not political... like Scissors says, Governors across the land are rejecting this federal extortion for "fiscal" reasons... mainly the continuation clauses after the federal money runs out. This by itself has the potential to bring any state to its knees down the road.

- Ric (who doesn't quite understand this, "spend out way out of trouble" stuff).

Sorry...I meant to say fiscal reasons which I corrected in my posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida