Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:27 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,069 times

Advertisements

OK - I know that this is not the board for this, but most of you have been so honest and helpful that I though of asking you this. Besides, this is the only board I post on, so no one else knoww me.

Anway, being that I am moving into this new construction house, we had the builder take out all of the appliances that were in there because they were white and well.. . not gonna go with what what I plan on doing in there. Question is this - I need to buy all new appliances and was wondering what brand you think is a good one to go with. I know most of you are at least middle aged and know the good stuff from the junk out there. I really like the Maytag stuff, but I don't have any experience in buying appliances at all.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 08:41 PM

713 posts, read 2,669,671 times
Default Maytag...

use to be good but has gone down in quality. I really miss my Whirlpool dishwasher as it had the silverware basket on the door and did not take up space in the "well" of the washer. Also the brand seemed to last and last. Also, we had a GE stove and it lasted for 20 years. That's all I can say here.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:55 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,213,281 times
go w/ GE. i was in home depot today, and the guy said GE was the best... they sold other brands, but really liked GE.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:08 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Just for everyone info Amana, Whirpool, Maytag,Kitchen-Aid and I believe that GE and Kenmore are all manufactured on the same standards (own by the same owner) just different brands like cars. So compare prices by model number and warranty. Look for rebates and special offers zero interest....

About Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool Corporation is the world’s leading manufacturer and marketer of major home appliances, with annual sales of more than $19 billion, more than 80,000 employees, and more than 60 manufacturing and technology research centers around the world. The company markets Whirlpool, Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Brastemp, Bauknecht and other major brand names to consumers in nearly every country around the world. Additional information about the company can be found at http://www.whirlpoolcorp.com.

Last edited by sunrico90; 03-30-2007 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-30-2007, 09:14 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Sunrico, that is so cool. I thought they were all competitors.

Minnie, my first thought was Maytag, but I don't know of their current quality. The reason I'd chose them is because my Mom and Dad had a Maytag washer and dryer and they lasted for 30 years.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:39 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,210,879 times
Whirlpool is among the best unless you want to go with ultra high end appliances. Personally, GE appliances have been the worst, most unreliable I've ever owned. The best dishwasher and washing machine I've ever owned was Maytag. The dishwasher especially was a powerhorse. It could clean anything and had a built in garbage disposal - no nasty leftover food floating in your clean dishes.

I spent extra $$ one time to purchase a KitchenAid refrigerator because of the name. It was one of the worst I've ever owned - I wanted my whirlpool back so badly!! The main problem was that it was a side by side with the icemaker in the door. We had repair out so much the first year we owned it, they offered to take it back and give us a new one! That's how bad it was!

Good Luck!

Old 03-30-2007, 09:42 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
WHIRLPOOL>>>>>ACCEPT NO LESS...
Just say no to GE unless it is a jet engine or is SUPPOSED to fly and then Explode...

Old 03-30-2007, 10:14 PM

267 posts, read 1,141,069 times
Thanks so much guys. It's funny, the appliances that they took out were all GE - guess I made a good decision there.

All of the appliance that are in my kitchen are kenmore and less than 2 years old. I have had problems with all but one! I know that kenmore is sears brand and that their appliances are made by the bigger name manufacturers, but I just have a bad taste in my mouth about buying another kenmore item. I always think if that maytag man sitting behind a desk with no service calls coming in. LOL. The reason that I first looked at maytag is because I love thier french door fridge with the ice maker on the outside. I just figured I would go with the entire line. One think I know is that I will get an extended warranty on whatever brand I get. I know that they don't make things like they used to.

sunrico - I was hoping you would see this post. Always a wealth of informatoin. Thanks so much!!

Old 03-31-2007, 04:38 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Minnie
We have been discussing 'fridges and other appliances in the House forum.
(In both the Trend thread and Refrigerator thread.)
I too am researching, both to check out what I am stuck with if we buy a prospective house as well as to purchase a new 'fridge; it is confusing to sort out who manufactures what.
Apparently Whirlpool owns just about everyone these days.
Appliances: Who Makes What
Apparently, Sears does not make any of its own stuff anymore. (Don't know who actually manufactured our Kenmore washer/dryer, but they worked fine in Denver and hopefully will continue to work once we settle.)
I've been at the Garden Web site a lot and it is interesting to read the differences and likenesses of various appliances:in many cases, the "guts" of an appliance (the pump, electrical circuit, etc) is identical, but the outer appearence (dishrack, drawers etc) will vary.
I loved the LG French Door 'fridge that I left back home in Denver. I also liked my Asko dishwasher, which supposedly has reliability issues but we never had any trouble with it in the 7 years we had it. My Dacor gas cooktop and electric oven worked like a dream.
But if we buy this new house, looks like it will be Kitchen Aid, Viking and whatever 'fridge we decide upon.

Old 03-31-2007, 07:01 AM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Sears is a department store. They do not build their own appliances. They contract the other manufactures to build all of their appliances. This chart will help you determine who actually built your appliance, then you can choose the manufacture from the chart on this page.

The first 3 digits of the model# determine who built it, see site:

http://www.applianceaid.com/searscodes.html

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida