Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times

Advertisements

I have seen a Salt Water Croc on a private beach just south of Miami Beach. Not sure if they are over on the west coast of florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 PM

187 posts, read 949,791 times
Default It's one of those things you'll know when you get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpicard View Post
If people are finding them coming through dog doors then a window that is close to the gorund is not much of a stretch. I notice that allot of the I suppose you call them ranch homes I look at in Florida have windows unusually close to ground level compared to here in NY. Most residential homes around me in NY windows are all chest level with several feet between earth and 1st floor level. So a good 6 feet from the ground compared to Florida where I see windows starting what looks like 2 feet or less from the ground.

I suppose if I buy a home near fresh water bodies with windows such as these I should build a fence in the backyard if I want to sleep with windows open a night.
jpi, I've got one foot in Florida and one in NYC and I can tell you, when you get down to Florida you'll know what to focus on and what to not worry about. Florida would be a lot more interesting if 'gators were climbing in bedroom windows.

I'll say that I was a snake lover as a kid and looked for them everytime I went near water. In Florida there are a lot more snakes than NJ and if you want to look for danger, learn to spot water moccasin' (cottonmouth) and pygmy rattlesnakes. They're frequent, but only if you're lookin' for them.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:17 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
I would be more worried about about getting severe sunburn falling asleep at the beach, than being attacked by a gator.

I have seen them in the lake on the golf course (fresh water) where I live, but they didn't attack the egrets or ducks in lake, let alone the golfers nearby on the course.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:01 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,034 times
I would never go to sleep with the windows open in Florida and it has nothing to do with alligators. It would be a great thing if an alligator got in because it would keep the robbers out of your house. Crime would be your worst enemy at night here. In fact I might get a pet alligator now for protection.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:02 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,202 times
Gators by the beach? No, I'd be more worried about sharks.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 AM

151 posts, read 713,863 times
My second question related to Alligators is how safe is it to leave your 1st floor bedroom windows open at night? How far from a marsh or body of water makes this practice safe.

For example the other photo in this forum of the home with the Alligator at the front door shows how low the windows are. I have also seen news footage recently of a woman going into her kitchen at night and finding one got in through the dog door which leads me to believe depending on the area a 1st floor window would not be much of a problem and far easier for an alligator.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
I intend to visit some beaches likely on the west coast. Probably get an umbrella and fall asleep. I understand alligators are mostly in fresh water but is sleeping on the beach safe or do some salt water beaches have the occassional problems with alligators?
Alligators on beaches has got to be a pretty rare thing indeed.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
I have lived in Florida almost my entire life and I can honestly say that an alligator crawling through a first floor window of my house has never crossed my mind even once -- until now, lol.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
My second question related to Alligators is how safe is it to leave your 1st floor bedroom windows open at night? How far from a marsh or body of water makes this practice safe.

For example the other photo in this forum of the home with the Alligator at the front door shows how low the windows are. I have also seen news footage recently of a woman going into her kitchen at night and finding one got in through the dog door which leads me to believe depending on the area a 1st floor window would not be much of a problem and far easier for an alligator.
Yeah, you'll get t-boned in an intersection or break your hip slipping on a banana peel long before a gator climbs into your home to do the death roll. Not goin' to happen.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAbsolute View Post
I have a link for you from Fox News showing an alligator on the beach here in Northwest Florida, South Walton County. My kids and I have gone on several alligator site seeing adventures in the river swamps and the 'gators always take off before we can get to close. This is extremely rare and is not anything to worry about.

Americas News HQ-Reptilian Sun and Fun - AOL Video

Here's today's alligator on the beach story. SUZANNE PRESTON | Florida Freedom Newspapers: News Photo : Northwest Florida Daily News

I guess this'll be the year of the beach gator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida