Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:44 PM

141 posts, read 752,183 times

Advertisements

Why do so many people have the notion that it's okay to invade Florida en masse, then try to force northern/liberal/secular ideals on us? If you want to come to Florida, fine. But come to Florida for what it is, not so that you can turn it into a hotter version of the place you left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,496,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoGratias View Post
Why do so many people have the notion that it's okay to invade Florida en masse, then try to force northern/liberal/secular ideals on us? If you want to come to Florida, fine. But come to Florida for what it is, not so that you can turn it into a hotter version of the place you left.
I think the south took over from the spanish who had actual sophisticated culture and were pushed down to the south end of it...along with the native indians who have been marginalized by both. lol @ invade. The southernend of FL is the REAL and oldest version of florida, the rest is southerners coming in from the south to the northern areas of florida and down into the south where they extended their crops.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:58 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
It is redneck culture for the majority in all of those cities and 100% redneck soon as you get outside the city limits...
I just moved here from Chicago and my gf from SF and we are getting the eff out. I wouldn't go if you are having doubts, hence you are even asking this...... you will hate it.
Tampa and Miami you should be fine though. If you have seen my posts you wouldn't even wanna hear what is on my gfs mind...
Went to h.s. and university here though not by choice, got out soon as I was done with college, only back here now b/c of economy.
It is definitely more redneck in north florida than even other southern states which are actually just "southern culture" but not redneck, big difference.

If you want to come south for southern stuff I'd recommend Huntsville or Athens over these as they are more southern and less redneck.
Sounds like you've never been to South Carolina.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:16 PM

162 posts, read 657,764 times
Quote:
I think the south took over from the spanish who had actual sophisticated culture and were pushed down to the south end of it...along with the native indians who have been marginalized by both. lol @ invade. The southernend of FL is the REAL and oldest version of florida, the rest is southerners coming in from the south to the northern areas of florida and down into the south where they extended their crops.
Point, set and match. Excellent post.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 PM

478 posts, read 1,324,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Floridian View Post
This poster is 100% correct. Go to South Florida, much better.... UM is a great university, and if I had kids, which I dont, nor do I want, I'd send them to UM in a heart beat. The diversity your kid will learn in Miami cannot compare to G'ville or Tally. I'm a life-long resident of G'ville and I'll tell ya straight up it is rednecks, liberals, tree huggers, religious freaks and kids, as in college kids. If you're 30+ start medicating, at 40, jump off a bridge. I'm selling all my stuff finally after 43 years of living there.
You belong in Miami too.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Dont you know? Its the hotter version of NJ here in most of FL! Where you been?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Scold all the others who called them rednecks and what have you and then we'll chat.
I told "Quintana" the same thing. If he/she wants NYC, and doesnt like the "rednecks" and "it gets worse as you head further north" than they can head back up to NYC.

You have to understand how tired these comments get to native Floridians. And the same people are usually the ones doing it, so I get tired of it. "This is how we do it in NY" and "the pizza is better in NY" and "everthing here is slow, us NY'ers wouldnt put up with that" blah blah blah...

So my question was, since I found your comment about hicks, rednecks and bible thumpers pretty rude, where you from? I'm just curious. Didnt mean to sound like I was scolding, but you could see why someone might not appreciate this comment.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:33 PM

560 posts, read 2,075,778 times
Quote:
Um, no. Not at all.

The Spanish controlled Florida twice, but never established a very strong presence in the region. Regardless, they lived in the Northern part like everyone else - does St Augustine ring a bell?

The Spanish were pushed out by the British, who then lost control back to the Spanish. But since so few Spanish actually lived there anymore, the Spanish gave land grants to Americans to come settle the land.

North Florida is the oldest part of Florida. South Florida wasn't extensively settled until Henry Flagler and the railroads. The current hispanics in Florida are mostly post-1959 immigrants.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:44 PM

Default Thx Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe 4520832257 View Post
Um, no. Not at all.

The Spanish controlled Florida twice, but never established a very strong presence in the region. UNTIL NOW. Regardless, they lived in the Northern part like everyone else - does St Augustine ring a bell? Oh yeah, oldest city in America.

The Spanish were pushed out by the British, who then lost control back to the Spanish. But since so few Spanish actually lived there anymore, the Spanish gave land grants to Americans to come settle the land. I like the history lesson, tell it like it is Joe!

North Florida is the oldest part of Florida. And the best part of FL. South Florida wasn't extensively settled until Henry Flagler and the railroads. The current hispanics in Florida are mostly post-1959 immigrants.
Thx Joe.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:45 AM

268 posts, read 899,849 times
Quote:
Hello Sir -
I'm 100% native Floridian. Born/reared in Gainesville. I've lived all over Florida and outside, to other states and outside USA. When you say 'us' who are you referring?

Bro, we are all immigrants here... the USA was founded from poor, low class people from mostly Europe wanting a better life. About Florida: Indians and Spanish were the original owners here.... Also, change is inevitable so get used to it. Cities in Florida that never change and develop suffer like my home town Gainesville. Few jobs, rednecks, small town mentality, mom and pop lazy business, etc. South Florida is #1, Tampa #2. Or leave for California... My advice? Get the most out of your life, and living in a place that is against what you want can and will hold you back and your dreams of full-filling the life you want will never happen.

My 0.02
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida