U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 01:38 PM

1,287 posts, read 2,244,797 times

Advertisements

I'll be flying down to Florida in late May or early June to look at houses in the Ocala area. Right now I'm doing preliminary planning (hotel, car rental, airline ticket).

I was originally going to fly into Orlando Airport because is seems to be closer, but a friend who has relatives in Marion County and makes the trip several times a year suggested that I fly into Tampa, and said the trip is actually shorter. Checking online, the distance is about 20 miles greater if I fly into Tampa. But I've heard that the area around Orlando Airport is extremely congested,and I'd prefer the fewest hassles possible in an unfamiliar area.

What would those of you who live in the area suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 01:44 PM

482 posts, read 2,027,589 times
Either Tampa or Orlando Airports are fine, neither are excessively crowded and you can get thru either without a lot of hassle so if the prices are better with one vs. the other then either is good. The advantage to Tampa is you can get on I-75 and take it right to Ocala. If you come to Orlando you will experience more traffic issues trying to get to the Turnpike and then it will take you to I-75. If prices don't differ I'd prefer taking I-75 from Tampa.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:23 PM

1,404 posts, read 4,726,738 times
Fly into TIA (Tampa International Airport). You will be better off. Either way they are both congested, but Orlando is 1 hr. east of Tampa, so you will be further from Ocala. Flying into TIA will put you about 1-1.5 hrs. south of Ocala, depending on where in Ocala you are going to and how fast you drive...

Old 04-20-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Fly into TIA (Tampa International Airport).

Continental flies into Tampa/St.Pete (TPA) -- big difference location-wise?

You will be better off. Either way they are both congested, but Orlando is 1 hr. east of Tampa, so you will be further from Ocala.

But Tampa is further south -- the Florida travel site says it's 20 miles further.

Flying into TIA will put you about 1-1.5 hrs. south of Ocala, depending on where in Ocala you are going to and how fast you drive...
In NJ, I drive...expeditiously. And I'm not quite sure where I'll be going, since I've yet to book anything (I need to confirm those days off from work first). I'm waiting to hear back from the real estate agent as to hotel selection -- not that there are a lot, but there are several which fit my requirements (free internet access is paramount -- I'll be sending photo and video files back and forth to my husband).

Old 04-20-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guntersville Boomer View Post
Either Tampa or Orlando Airports are fine, neither are excessively crowded and you can get thru either without a lot of hassle so if the prices are better with one vs. the other then either is good.

The flight prices (Continental) are identical -- but rental car prices show a huge difference -- between $15-20 per day (Hertz or Budget -- I like Budget better, because the counter and cars seem to be more convenient -- Hertz is offsite). Any clue as to why the difference?

The advantage to Tampa is you can get on I-75 and take it right to Ocala. If you come to Orlando you will experience more traffic issues trying to get to the Turnpike and then it will take you to I-75. If prices don't differ I'd prefer taking I-75 from Tampa.
Makes sense -- thanks. Now, do I want to pay the difference for the rental car? It doesn't look like this will be my only trip down this year.

Old 04-20-2009, 03:58 PM

Yes but on the turnpike you will have to pay tolls and deal with traffic. trust me, the trip from Tampa will be easier-but not from St. Pete. Make sure it's Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
In NJ, I drive...expeditiously. And I'm not quite sure where I'll be going, since I've yet to book anything (I need to confirm those days off from work first). I'm waiting to hear back from the real estate agent as to hotel selection -- not that there are a lot, but there are several which fit my requirements (free internet access is paramount -- I'll be sending photo and video files back and forth to my husband).

Old 04-20-2009, 04:26 PM

921 posts, read 2,096,293 times
Just fly into wherever is cheaper. Orlando is a little bit closer I think, but the difference is negligible.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquintana View Post
Yes but on the turnpike you will have to pay tolls and deal with traffic. trust me, the trip from Tampa will be easier-but not from St. Pete. Make sure it's Tampa.
The only airport I can find listed for Tampa is TPA, so I guess we're talking about the same facility (which was listed as Tampa/St. Pete on one of my printouts).

Now I just need to decide whether the advantages are worth the extra expense (I'm from Jersey -- tolls and traffic are a way of life). If it shortens the time behind the wheel, I'm all for it, especially on the return trip when I'll have to drop the rental car off.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Just fly into wherever is cheaper. Orlando is a little bit closer I think, but the difference is negligible.
The flights are exactly the same, price-wise; but the rental cars differ significantly in price.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:30 AM

Yes-TPA-my bad. St. Pete has their own airport too, but it would be closer out of Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
The only airport I can find listed for Tampa is TPA, so I guess we're talking about the same facility (which was listed as Tampa/St. Pete on one of my printouts).

Now I just need to decide whether the advantages are worth the extra expense (I'm from Jersey -- tolls and traffic are a way of life). If it shortens the time behind the wheel, I'm all for it, especially on the return trip when I'll have to drop the rental car off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida