Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 04:31 PM

569 posts, read 1,668,698 times

Advertisements

Atlanta definitely has a huge traffic problem but I think the good makes up for the bad. If you want to live in a city in the south then I think Atlanta would be the one. It offers everything from downtown city life to very quiet and upscale suburbs. And you are never far from anything. Alpharetta by the way is very nice and a lot of companies have relocated there. Charlotte grew with leaps and bounds from what it used to be but from what I understand it has been hurt badly by the banking and mortgage crisis since BOA and Wachovia are headquartered there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:03 PM

478 posts, read 1,324,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I have a large business account in Alpharetta Ga and they moved from all places?? Charlotte to the Atl burbs. Yes the traffic is crazy and the airport is even worse.

Asheville is beautiful but the temps can get very cold being close to the mountains like it is.

If you have never been to the Biltmore Estates in Asheville make sure you check it out. Awesome!

Atlanta is doing better then most other major cities. Charlotte had it going but lost its feel and many jobs due to problems in the city planning.

Atlanta seems to be picking up where Charlotte lost out.
I went to college and lived in Asheville for a while. I like it. As far as cold temps, that's OK, after being back in FL I realized how much I like change of seasons, and dislike the constant heat and humidity. I do feel hoever that FL has the best temps from Nov - March or so...

Charlotte is losing out in some respects due to the economy/banking industry. Charlotte is 2nd to NYC in banking, some folks arent aware of that.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Atlanta definitely has a huge traffic problem but I think the good makes up for the bad. If you want to live in a city in the south then I think Atlanta would be the one. It offers everything from downtown city life to very quiet and upscale suburbs. And you are never far from anything. Alpharetta by the way is very nice and a lot of companies have relocated there. Charlotte grew with leaps and bounds from what it used to be but from what I understand it has been hurt badly by the banking and mortgage crisis since BOA and Wachovia are headquartered there.
Good post, Psouth.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:43 PM

Well thank you.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,339 times
Put me in the "moving to Florida column" for the next census. Put me in the Anglo column too, but I have nothing but compliments and admiration for hispanic people. I have found hispanic people have the best sense of humor.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
Put me in the "moving to Florida column" for the next census. Put me in the Anglo column too, but I have nothing but compliments and admiration for hispanic people. I have found hispanic people have the best sense of humor.
If you like Hispanics then this is the place. They are coming here in droves many illegally. Just don't even think about moving to Florida without a good job in hand. There are well over 1 million unemployed and scrambling for jobs. The job market is the worst with mostly minimum wage service jobs. By the way you won't be able to get a job in S. Florida especially Miami unless you speak Spanish. You might want to spend some time here before you move. I would take the weather and education and job market in Seattle any day. Just food for thought.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:16 AM

Psouth has a good point. Visiting for a few weeks and really seeing what you will be dealing with is a good suggestion. If you are moving to a place like South FL, I really encourage you to get out and drive at rush hour, go to the mall, the grocery, etc... get a good feel for the people there before you move there. I was born there and I couldnt take living there again. As far as I could stand would be Palm Bch Gardens/Jupiter and out in the Acreage/Royal Palm Bch.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:29 PM

14 posts, read 37,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome Microphone View Post
Psouth has a good point. Visiting for a few weeks and really seeing what you will be dealing with is a good suggestion. If you are moving to a place like South FL, I really encourage you to get out and drive at rush hour, go to the mall, the grocery, etc... get a good feel for the people there before you move there. I was born there and I couldnt take living there again. As far as I could stand would be Palm Bch Gardens/Jupiter and out in the Acreage/Royal Palm Bch.
Valid points! Don't expect to move to S FL and love it. It's different down there and almost not like America! I've been to Puerto Rico (not vacation, but lived there) and Equador. Equador was a very welcoming place and was treated nicely. As for Rico, it has its good and bad (from my experience mostly bad). S FL is like Rico but worse. There are some nice people, but the gangs in that area are getting real bad. I know some LEO guys and they have just raved how bad things are getting.

Visit first! Jax and north of Orlando is a better option

Old 05-03-2009, 05:33 AM

26 posts, read 101,649 times
Default In the end?

Here we are, exactly 28 DAYS left here in Florida. It's sad. We will be leaving many good friends and a really good job. We are missing our friends and family on the West Coast and are excited about returning. Been planning this for a year now and it's crazy.....the time is finally arriving.
Soooooo...here's the situation. We both work for the same employer. We have now for a period of 4 years. We do alot for this place. Probably alot more then what we are getting paid for, and I think that we have worked ourselves into a sort of corner. These people have commented before in the past while around us that they don't believe in 2 week notices, that if you are giving your 2 weeks why would they keep you around anyway.....SOOOOO we have deceided based on that comment that we would tell them our departure plans on the 27th of this month(may). That will be 4 days left of work and 3 days waiting for the last check. That will be the deceiding vote really. Either they except the 7 days notice or they say get the hell out now. Its a crap shot with them. One minute you are in the good graces and the next your are on the list to be put in front of a firing squad.......YIKES We will have 2 weeks vacation coming on the 25th of the month. We are hoping that we will get the 2 weeks in a check. Its a toss up though really. I certainly don't want to loose the 2 weeks but then I don't really want to take it either.
Regardless, I suppose in the end it doesn't really matter. But what do you think? Does anyone have any ideas how to go about this........

Old 05-03-2009, 08:04 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SawZaw View Post
Valid points! Don't expect to move to S FL and love it. It's different down there and almost not like America! I've been to Puerto Rico (not vacation, but lived there) and Equador. Equador was a very welcoming place and was treated nicely. As for Rico, it has its good and bad (from my experience mostly bad). S FL is like Rico but worse. There are some nice people, but the gangs in that area are getting real bad. I know some LEO guys and they have just raved how bad things are getting.

Visit first! Jax and north of Orlando is a better option
Can people stop conflating Miami-Dade with all of "South Florida."

I assure you the waspy housewives in Jupiter and Boca do not have to speak Spanish to anyone at all at any point in their day unless they're yelling at the guy mowing the grass because he missed a spot.

Or unless they're going to their community that is named after something Spanish, like "Mirasol."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida