Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,710 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered is it the curriculum that differs from other states to get this reputation?

Just an FYI I am referring to K thru 12.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
I think a lot of it comes from culture shock- it's a typical Southern state in terms of K-12 public schools, which means schools are a) frequently a step or two behind academically b) still making the transition to the idea that your typical high school population needs to be 75% college bound in this day and age (not necessarily university, but at least some sort of post-secondary vo-tech certificate or two year community college degree) and c) not funded as well as schools up north.

Having said that, I've got a pretty favorable impression of the schools in my area. It goes well beyond FCATs, kids seem well prepared for school, workforce, etc. This year's high school graduating class has 17 kids who were National Merit Scholars or commended students, and the school's science program has had a number of kids go on to big awards at national science fairs and an give presentations at international ecology seminars.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:47 PM

88 posts, read 413,719 times
Generally, the focus on education in Florida's public schools is on the FCAT, not on education. Teachers take too much time off, the school district are too powerful a governmental entity, and their employees have a sense of entitlement.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:56 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times
It is dangerous to generalize, however. Some areas have excellent schools, others...abysmal.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:28 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
I have worked at two different schools (elementary and HS) where I am in Florida. Both these schools are rated A+. I would say in comparison to where I used to live, they would have been B schools. Not just my opinion. Other teachers from various other states have said the same thing.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:49 PM

I honestly can't say that my children are suffering at all, but reading thru some of the threads I have run across numerous people advising others their children will not receive the proper education and the schools are terrible. I was just wondering if I was missing something.

Old 04-24-2009, 02:49 PM

2,415 posts, read 2,985,263 times
I was worried about the school when I moved down here because I knew that Florida schools had a bad reputation, for as long as I can remember. I have been so pleasantly surprised. All the public schools in Flagler County are rated A by the state. My son's teacher is so innovative and involved. He's only in the 2nd grade, but he has learned so much and not just facts for a test. They have regular field trips to a state park to learn about habitats and his teacher just brought in an incubator and eggs. His reading and math skills have improved tremendously. I don't really like that he has a ton of homework, but c'est la vie. I've been very impressed.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:25 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Look to the people who have taught in Florida and have also taught elsewhere. When they are the ones saying that Florida does not compare, when they are getting PAID to teach in Florida, maybe you need to think twice about it.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Look to the people who have taught in Florida and have also taught elsewhere. When they are the ones saying that Florida does not compare, when they are getting PAID to teach in Florida, maybe you need to think twice about it.

I have noticed teachers do make these statements but to be honest have never read the reasons why they feel this way other then their own personal reasons such as underpaid, over crowded. This to me isn't really telling me anything other then that particular teacher is unhappy in his/or job and maybe should not have become one in Florida, because we all know they don't pay anything here. With that said does it mean my child will not receive the proper education because the teachers in Florida don't receive the same salaries as the ones up north?

Old 04-24-2009, 03:49 PM

569 posts, read 1,668,698 times
Florida is not as progressive as other states. The teachers are paid less and the mentality in Florida does not put importance on education. It is more about fun in the sun and worry about what happens down the road. Another problem now is all the Hispanics flooding in and putting a huge burden on the school districts and the teachers. Many of them have a third world mentality, do not speak English, and tend to hold the schools back even further. It is a perfect storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida