U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:59 AM

67 posts, read 203,444 times
Default Dog-friendly beach near Daytona/New Smyrna

Hey guys:
My wife and are looking to move south from Kentucky in a year or two and I was wondering if there are any dog-friendly beaches near Daytona. We have a lovable black lab that LOVES to swim and fetch... since she loves the lake, I know she'll love the ocean. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 10:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 8,756,476 times
Go to Google and perform your search there using the exact same parameters and you will find your answer.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Go to Google and perform your search there using the exact same parameters and you will find your answer.
OK, thanks for the info, but... been there, tried that, didn't get any "for sure" results. I find this forum and a few other sites, none of which EXACTLY answer my question. For example, I can find lots of hotels and dog parks, and even some beaches where its OK.. but I'm looking for somewhere I can take my lab off-leash at the beach so she can swim and fetch. I was hoping (per my post in a similiar thread) that some locals might could point me to a remote/secluded area where, if not necessarily "legal," it would be permitted. Thanks again!

Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 AM

Anybody? While not a deciding factor, this IS very important for my consideration.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:42 PM

574 posts, read 1,258,106 times
I live here, but we have never considered taking our dog to the beach. I honestly right off the top of my head cannot think of anywhere in our area where it is legal to allow your dog to run around unleashed. I asked DH and he couldn't think of any either. We could be wrong, but we just don't know of anywhere you can do that around here.

Nancy

Old 05-02-2009, 04:56 AM

1,042 posts, read 2,195,950 times
Smile Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js81 View Post
Hey guys:
My wife and are looking to move south from Kentucky in a year or two and I was wondering if there are any dog-friendly beaches near Daytona. We have a lovable black lab that LOVES to swim and fetch... since she loves the lake, I know she'll love the ocean. Any suggestions?
I to have a big lab that loves the water......so you might want to try these sites www.petfriendly.com www.bigdogswelcome.com www.petsonthego.com

One of these sites has a beach friendly site that you can research away...I would not let my dog swim in any of the fresh water lakes...

Old 05-08-2009, 07:44 AM

Thanks for the help, guys... that's a bit depressing to me. I knew we wouldn't be taking her right into an "action-packed" area with lots of people, concessions, etc... But I was sure hoping there would be somewhere where I could take her out to let her play. She just LOVES to swim and fetch (what lab doesn't?) and I know she's love the beach and ocean. Maybe we'll figure something/somewhere out.

I read on one of those sites, rusty, that a lot of people have seen dogs (labs, actually) running unleashed in the surf at the lighthouse park. I know its not legal... but maybe its tolerated? I was hoping this might be the case at Smyrna dunes (across the inlet), since it seems a bit more remote, but that doesn't seem to be the case. What about somewhere down along the Canaveral seashore? Any remote places there that I may be able to take her? I don't care to drive a little ways... she's great in the car (as long as the windows are down)!

Old 03-27-2010, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 17,085 times
I used to live in New Smyrna Beach/Edgewater area. I did alot of fishing in the intercoastal waterway,(the river). There were many times I saw a dog frolicking along the bank "unleashed" playing in and out of the water. Don't know if legal or illegal? I'm sure there are people in some of those places fishing without a license. But yet they are there. Don't know if it was private property or what? Just looked like the dogs were having a good time. How much is the fine if caught? Might be trivial considering the benefit to your dog. Might try to get in touch of a game warden and see what he says. Just a few thoughts, I hope it helps in some way.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 PM

1,332 posts, read 3,297,724 times
Buy this book! It's worth it's weight in gold if you live or travel in Florida. It's cleverly written with lists dog-friendly beaches, parks, accomodations and restaurants! Amazon has used copies.

Welcome to The Dog Lover's Companion

EEK! Just realized the op was almost a year ago...hope this helps somebody!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:37 AM

802 posts, read 1,973,945 times
Default dog beach

my friend's daughter takes her mixed breed dog up toward Flagler Beach from Ormond Beach, where they live. She refers to it as "the dog beach". I'll try to find out where it is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida