U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:06 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,343,350 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, this topic has come up a lot in the NE forums - people from more distressed states considering moving to areas with lower unemployment purely on the off-chance that they might find work.

I've heard it is pretty bad in Florida. Has anybody been out of work for a long time and is considering just loading up the car and heading to areas with less unemployment? Know anyone in that situation?

Just want to get a feel for other states.

Thanks for any replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 05:24 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,436,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Just out of curiosity, this topic has come up a lot in the NE forums - people from more distressed states considering moving to areas with lower unemployment purely on the off-chance that they might find work.

I've heard it is pretty bad in Florida. Has anybody been out of work for a long time and is considering just loading up the car and heading to areas with less unemployment? Know anyone in that situation?

Thanks for any replies.
Some people post here that the NE has tons of jobs. Guess not. To many people wanting to leave NE states looking for jobs.

You need to jump online and put apps in Monster or some of those places so see if something comes up.

I surely would just jump in a car without doing some research and having some leads before I went anywhere.

Word though my channels is Atlanta is the new hot bed for jobs but that comes from most people I talk to over the phone daily who do business in Atlanta.

Tennessee is getting the new solar plants and another car manufacture soon.

Another company close to me is closing its doors, 1000 workers gone all because of imports. They hung in there hoping this congress would put a limit on imports of their type of product but of course the idiots voted it down. So another 1000 jobs gone in 60 more days.

We cannot control out job markets until we stop the flooding of massive imports into this country.

Look at your can goods, Wal Mart is now buying canned beans from another country when we have farmers will empty fields and going bankrupt.

I hope you find something and can research online and find it.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:55 PM

15,208 posts, read 31,178,329 times
Florida is also getting solar plants - quite a few, actually. I have read several news articles about different ones the past few months.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Some people post here that the NE has tons of jobs. Guess not. To many people wanting to leave NE states looking for jobs.

You need to jump online and put apps in Monster or some of those places so see if something comes up.

I surely would just jump in a car without doing some research and having some leads before I went anywhere.

Word though my channels is Atlanta is the new hot bed for jobs but that comes from most people I talk to over the phone daily who do business in Atlanta.

Tennessee is getting the new solar plants and another car manufacture soon.

Another company close to me is closing its doors, 1000 workers gone all because of imports. They hung in there hoping this congress would put a limit on imports of their type of product but of course the idiots voted it down. So another 1000 jobs gone in 60 more days.

We cannot control out job markets until we stop the flooding of massive imports into this country.

Look at your can goods, Wal Mart is now buying canned beans from another country when we have farmers will empty fields and going bankrupt.

I hope you find something and can research online and find it.
I wasn't asking for myself actually, you misunderstood my question. I was discussing with several other people in my area the idea that the NY area may be flooded with job seekers and if so, which area they may come from.

Thank you for taking the time to reply though.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:06 AM

765 posts, read 2,376,291 times
Quote:

Thanks for any replies.
I was actually thinking of coming up to your area to look for a job. There are not many jobs in my field (Human Resources) in the area where I live.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I was actually thinking of coming up to your area to look for a job. There are not many jobs in my field (Human Resources) in the area where I live.
Oh. I know 2 people in HR who were just laid off.

I know it isn't as bad up here as in Florida though (yet). A basic job can be had. Not to say that it will match the cost of living though....

Good Luck.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:04 AM

11,501 posts, read 13,436,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Florida is also getting solar plants - quite a few, actually. I have read several news articles about different ones the past few months.
That would be awesome!

You do mean the actual building of the panels correct?

Does anyone know if any city in Florida has went to solar power for energy?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 AM

1,335 posts, read 4,380,372 times
Quote:

Thanks for any replies.
Many, many educated highly experienced professionals are moving back to NY, NJ, Boston, CHicago, etc from florida....there simply is NO reasonable, sustainable job market here for the numbers of people who flock here seeking typical corporate employment...

Old 05-01-2009, 10:28 AM

569 posts, read 1,495,370 times
A lot of younger educated people are moving back north for employment and opportunity. You have to go where the jobs are nowadays like primarily the big high growth cities. Florida is no place for corporate or big business type employment. Low paying labor, services, and retail are king in Florida. Years ago jobs weren't much of a factor since you could have bought a house and payed your bills on $10 per hour in Florida. That's why so many people moved and to get out of the corporate rat race. Now things have gone in opposite direction. Now you need big jobs with big paychecks. If you own a lucrative business or if you can somehow make your own way in Florida then you will do ok. I know contractors that own construction and remodeling type businesses and they are making a fortune with the cheap labor and no employee benefits down here. But if you are looking for a run-of-the-mill 9 to 5 corporate type job with benefits and longevity then Florida isn't the place. YOu have to head north to established business areas which many are now doing. As I've said before warm weather doesn't pay the bills.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 AM

15,208 posts, read 31,178,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
That would be awesome!

You do mean the actual building of the panels correct?

Does anyone know if any city in Florida has went to solar power for energy?
Here are some things in the works:

New Florida City To Run On Solar Power

Largest Solar Power Plant In the United States Planned for Florida : TreeHugger

Florida Power & Light Breaks Ground on World's First Hybrid Solar Plant | GreenBiz.com (http://www.greenbiz.com/news/2008/12/03/florida-power-light - broken link)

There may be more articles, but I pulled these up fairly quickly. Our governor Charlie Crist is a big proponent of alternative energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or