Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 04:01 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,630,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
And people in their 40's who have never owned a home in their life. Rented their entire life.

Guess I have about seen it all to some extent.
You say this as if it's an extreme example. I personally knew some people, including some people in their 40's and 50's that are fairly well-off (paying $3000/month+ in rent), that have never owned. Some people do not wish to burden themselves with maintenance of their own property and wish to have the freedom to move when they'd like without having to go through the burdensome (especially in this buyers' market!) process of having to sell a property. Owning real estate is not a very liquid investment and is a long-term commitment with which not everyone is comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 04:13 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,630,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Makes you wonder why those investors are buying up so many foreclosed properties and renting them. I hope the renters are so bad that they cost them a fortune.
Investors wish to rent while the market is down. When the markets starts to rebound, many investors will remodel kitchens, bathrooms, and floors, and put the properties back on the market to turn a profit. It's much more sustainable than the "buy-and-flip" strategies that investors were employing in Florida as little as two years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Let home prices fall so everyone can buy and eliminate renting altogether.
Owning property is privilege, and a privilege that many people do not wish to have, if that. Not everyone wants to bear the costs of maintaining his own property, and would rather a landlord do it for him. Furthermore, owning is a long-term investment that many people are not comfortable making. I personally know dentists, lawyers, and bankers who choose not to own because renting is easier, more flexible, and in many cases, cheaper.

Seriously, Rick, if we were to eliminate renting, what would college students, young people, and senior citizens unable or unwilling to maintain their own property do?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,250 times
Well, as an EMT (and soon to be a CCT Paramedic once I test in Jan), I choose not to purchase until I achieve the level of education I feel will provide me with enough stability to take on the privilege of home ownership. I've rented for all of my adult life. Yes, I've had a couple of "less the professional" landlords, but most are reasonable individuals. I too find the "worst of the worst" comment offensive, as I'm not a crackhead, criminal, or lowlife. I'll be the first to admit my credit is far from great, but I also have good reason behind it. 1) Thousands of dollars in student loans, regardless if they are subsidized or not, still affect the income/debt ratio. 2) Prior to my career move to EMS, I worked in construction. It's feast or famine, that simple. It takes time to catch up when you're laid off for 2-3 months at a time. 3) While doing clinical time, I was beaten in the face with an aluminum Louisville Slugger by a pillhead who mistakenly thought I was a cop due to the similarities in uniform. Spent better part of 5 months in the hospital. Granted, had MOST medical expenses paid, but 5 months with no income does not a good credit score make. 4) My wife and I have a beautiful little boy that was born 3 months premature. Specialty care in Neonatal ICU? Again, enough said. But check my last 4 landlords. All will give me a positive reference. Between "life happens", the real world, and circumstances that are sometimes just simply out of the persons hands, you can still find decent renters. Assuming that a person with a less than stellar FICO, or an excess of medical bills, or just the fact that they choose to rent does not make an individual "trash". If the state can trust me to keep you alive, you can trust me to pay you rent.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:22 AM

8,274 posts, read 12,804,663 times
It seems more care needs to be taken in the selection process. I have found most tenants to be pretty good and very responsible. while it is true prices are very low and you can buy ofr less than some rents. People will still opt to pay rent., yes even with the $8,000 credit. I know it sounds crazy but there are many motivations and reasons and the answer of buying isn't always the right one for everyone. It is a shame the civil action is the landlords recourse but it is, apart from a better selection process.... oh and btw a credit check does not mean a quality renter. As a property manager I have found there are other traits I prefer to take the risk on. So far it has worked for me and my clients.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:37 AM

13,255 posts, read 22,650,364 times
I live in a military town. Lots of middle class renters here who are uber-responsible about paying on time (apparently a bad credit rating can mess with your security clearance). Between realtor commission and doc stamp taxes, there's an effective 10% transaction cost to sell a home here and the numbers just don't make sense to buy if you're assuming you're going to be here for only 2-3 years, are looking at the modest historical appreciation in the 2-4% a year range and have a standard 30 year loan where the interest is massively front loaded.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:49 PM

40 posts, read 82,044 times
There are holes in the landlords story here, I assure you. She is complaining about the eviction process but has already seen the damage of the property and knows there are stolen items. Hmmmm, doesn't sound right to me. Besides, after the tenant is evicted you will have to have a civil judgement for the damages. However, theft is a criminal offense and a warrant WILL be issued for his arrest if you have proof that the items are missing!! Surely you got a copy of his ID or drivers license.....that is all you need to insure that he gets picked up eventually. The next time he goes to get a renewed id, BAM arrested!! Yes, in Florida........
Also, why are you complaining about the cost of the eviction? His deposit should take care of that. I think there was much more to the story than we heard anyway. I have had very harrassing landlords in the past (about EVERYTHING from wilted flowers in the yard to the hose not being wound up) sounds to me, this could be the case.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:32 PM

4,584 posts, read 4,162,048 times
We own several rental properties in and around Orlando and require a credit & criminal check plus first/last month rent and security deposit. We have never had a problem with any tenant. And we won't even show the property until the credit check is done ... lots of prospective tenants don't even call back after we mention the credit and criminal check.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:11 PM

238 posts, read 666,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
This sounds like Massachusetts! After owning several rental properties in Massachusetts, I agree whole heartedly with floridasandy. The price of homes in Florida has fallen so low that everyone can now buy a home. Only the worse of the worse are in the rental market.
I so resent this remark! I have a home in GA that I have rented out for the year because we have/ want to move back to Fl. We are renting and we have perfect credit and are home owners, just in another state!

While I understand that you have been screwed and I am sorry, Pls do not lump all RENTERS in one group.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,910 times
I ran an ad a while back to rent one of my rentals and many, many people called claiming their landlords were facing forclosure, I was confused as to why, NOW I KNOW WHY...I am going through a financial nightmare because of close to the same thing. I had was going to try to sell my house and had just signed a realtor to try to sell it, I was hurting financially and decided to also rent it until it was sold, so rented it with no contract only month to month, I explained this to the people calling my ad, I rented to a woman who claimed to work as a disability attorneys secretary, thinking if she was a lawyers secretary her references would be good, she said it would be her and her adult son, she said she had very little money until the following month, so I even let her move in without paying a security deposit, I asked her to keeep the place nice and that for six months to make sure the realtor could set up appointment with her to show house, I gave her a list of owners rules asking her to make sure they did not open the large gates to the yard, to use only the small gate, because I did not want cars or trucks driving over the water pipes to the dwelling from the well, after the first month came to a close, I went over to collect rent the large gates were open and the vehicle was being drove all over the water pipes, the yard was a mess, not been mowed and debris and trash inn yard, they also put a burn barrel there and was burning trash, which is against the rules I gave her, the first time I knocked they did not open the door, I waited about 20 minutes, and knocked again, A guy who claimed to be her husband was doing smoking pot answered the door, The place was a mess, I was shocked, it was not only not showable to a real estate agent but the smell of pot was overwelming, I at first did not say anything about the drugs, but tryed to speak with her, as soon as I mentioned the vehicle on the water pipes and my asking her not to drive over them, and the fact the issue was signed by her on the owners rules, he got up started yelling at me calling me nasty names and cursing, saying the owners rules mean nothing, and threatning me, she did not have the rent according to him or the money for the security deposit, she said nothing, he acted as if he was going to beat me up, I ran out to my van and called 911, while on the phone with the sherrifs department he was inside the dwelling smashing things inside and yelling, I rented the place furnished and in one month they were destroying everything, The police showed up, I told them what was going on, and they did nothing. The next day I gave them an unconditional quit notice, 3 days to be out, I called 911 and asked for there assistance becasue I was very afraid of this guy who threatened me, they would not help saying it was a civil matter, though they did remain on the phone while I delivered it to them, 5 days later I went over ther to see if they were gone, I went to lock the big gates, I thought they were gone, nope, he came out and threatened to beat me up, then ran into the shed to stash something, I called 911. I told the deputy, they did nothing, I called legal aid hoping for help to get them off my property, instead got a voice info to tenants declaring how long they could stay and how many costly efforts the landlord would have to go though before they would actually have to get off the property... I was disgusted... I asked the deputy if a writ of possession would get them off my property, she said after the eviction process, I asked the deputy for his name so I could file a restraining order or tresspassing on him, she would not give me his name, I said it should be on the police report, she said they do not do police reports on civil matters, she was there on the scene and still refused to give me his name she said I could file one against the woman I rented to. (I had only had to go through filing for an eviciton one time before over a lady who abandened a dwelling and left no notice if she were alive or dead or returning, anyway it took the sherrif department over three months to deliver it, by then I had new tenants, and the hearing papaer came over 7 months after that...) The deputy would not give me his name to even file a restraining order or tresspassing, he is not her husband, as he finally declared to the deputy...he is her boyfriend... (I found out that the address she gave me of where they lived before was a one room appartment and she was told no one else could be living there and that he had been kicked off the property over there for sneaking in and that dogs there were against the rules, they also snuck a dog in and he ran a wire over to the other appartments and was stealing electric from them for his personal use...at that address it was found out that he is a convicted felon and was doing drugs there and getting into fights with other tenants there too) I was told that in order to get them off my proerty even though they are destroying everything there, it would cost a fortune and again they could remain there for free while I go though the process and in the end I would only get a judgement against them and never see any money... That I would have to file many differnet forms and at a great cost, and that the filing for a writ of possession would do no good, now the realtor wants to default and charge me her commission and advertising fees, because she can not show the proerty because these evil people are still there, my bank is still charging me, my bills keep coming due and now I am recieving complaints from the neighbors about the noise from his loud car stereo... I am broke and had invested every penny I had into making that place nice, now must go into debt to obtain and attorney to get these evil people out of my rental and do not understand why the law is so bad... (while I was at the electric company i had mentioned what I was going through to the clerk, she told me another landlords horror, she said another old guy went though trying to get bad tenants out and it took over 9 months, that he was paying for their electric and went broke so tried to disconnect them, the courts not only let them live there free at his expence, they made him turn the lights back on for the non paying tenants, then after his court proceedings were all over, the bad renter stalked him and beat him up so bad it almost killed him, he is in the hospital now, she said) I do not understand, why our laws are so unjust...! I need help and do not know where to turn because of all this, I PRAY GOD WILL EVICT UNGODLY MEN, then maybe the just will be able to live by Faith...!

Old 08-17-2010, 12:44 PM

354 posts, read 1,268,302 times
in my old landlord group we used to preach it's sometimes better to leave a unit empty......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida