U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 05:31 PM

4,641 posts, read 8,480,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Makes you wonder why those investors are buying up so many foreclosed properties and renting them. I hope the renters are so bad that they cost them a fortune. Who cares if landlords suffer, I tried that game and gave up years ago. Let home prices fall so everyone can buy and eliminate renting altogether.
Plenty of people don't want to buy a house, even when they could easily afford it. Some people like the flexibility of not being tied down to an area or home, others want a good landlord that will take care of maitenance issues for them so they don't have to worry about a broken stove or mowing their own lawn, others have their own reasons for renting instead of buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 05:40 PM

569 posts, read 1,125,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryB View Post
Or, dont just rent your place to anyone. Applications, credits checks, deposits & references are your friend. I doubt anyone who passed all those things would be spraying graffiti on your walls.
There are plenty of scumbags with good credit and who were not ex-cons. Florida is dicey at best.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:44 PM

8,893 posts, read 3,049,834 times
Wow, I am a renter and would NEVER damage anyone's property. If I was in the position to buy a house (laid off from job) I certainly would. Please don't clasify all renters in the same boat. We take pride in the home that we rent, spend money that we really shouldn't but we do. I know what you are saying, but we had to supply all the criteria, credits checks, deposits and references. Just my 2 cents!

Old 05-04-2009, 05:56 PM

2,143 posts, read 5,234,262 times
Florida is very landlord friendly.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM

162 posts, read 411,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
The price of homes in Florida has fallen so low that everyone can now buy a home. Only the worse of the worse are in the rental market.
Think about the number of foreclosures there are. When you are foreclosed upon your credit is worthless. Those previous 'owners' are now turning to renting because there's no way in heck they'll get a mortgage.

The rental market just got a heck of a lot bigger and is now filled with those just ousted from their foreclosed homes. You do the math.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM

2,716 posts, read 2,637,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiestaBay View Post
Think about the number of foreclosures there are. When you are foreclosed upon your credit is worthless. Those previous 'owners' are now turning to renting because there's no way in heck they'll get a mortgage.

The rental market just got a heck of a lot bigger and is now filled with those just ousted from their foreclosed homes. You do the math.
No, you do the math. And do the logic while you're at it. If they couldn't pay their mortgages then who says they'll pay their rent? What landlord would rent to these people? Sorry but that's how it is. When you rent to people who can't pay their bills then their problems become your problems.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:38 PM

569 posts, read 1,125,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
No, you do the math. And do the logic while you're at it. If they couldn't pay their mortgages then who says they'll pay their rent? What landlord would rent to these people? Sorry but that's how it is. When you rent to people who can't pay their bills then their problems become your problems.
A lot of these people can pay their bills as long as they are reasonable. Most trick mortgages were not reasonable. They may be able to pay $1,500 per month in rent rather than a $3,000 per month mortgage. A lot of landlords have lowered their expectations just to get some money coming in since there are so many houses for sale and rent. It is very competitive. Many are just renting month to month instead of requiring long term leases like before.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,255,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you are absolutely mistaken and you obviously don't have any idea how much damage a bad renter can cause, especially if they steal everything as well as vandalize. pool damage can run into lots of dollars, as well as actual property damage. i have had rentals in florida previously and never had a bad tenant. i am just warning people that times are a-changing!
Mistaken about what?? Are you saying you DID do a proper credit check, verified employment, called references & took a decent deposit??

Something tells me that you didnt or you arent telling us the whole story. I dont think anyone who would have checked out in all the above would be stealing water heaters & spray painting your walls with gang signs. Just saying.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:30 AM

12,361 posts, read 8,102,536 times
i stand by what i said. when the sheriff came out to see the damage, he said this is getting to be a common problem and my damage wasn't the worst he had seen! by the way verified employment doesn't mean much when your tenant loses a job, can't pay the rent, and needs to go. my tenant did not want to go. i am saying that being nice in this situation may not work to your advantage.
the math indicates that there will be more displaced people and these people may not take kindly to having to leave so landlords need to be vigilant.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:31 AM

88 posts, read 266,747 times
The State will do nothing about it because it is a civil matter. The police are there to protect and serve the STATE, not the individual. Police enforce vio0lations of law AGAINSt the STATE, not the individual. I don't understand why many people think the State is there to help the individual in such times. File a civil suit and collect against the tenant if you can. You are entitled to no more than a right to proceed in civil court. BTW, if Christ signs the latest bill put before him, you can count on having to pay $2,000 just to have the complaint filed by the sounds of your loss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida