U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:49 AM

155 posts, read 731,169 times
Red face Septic Sewer homes?

Are ther homes that have spetic sewers for **** and pee that need to be emptied by
septic tank companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 12:08 PM

2,824 posts, read 8,620,446 times
When you have septic it is already a given what they are used for. And, in due course, yes, they will be emptied by a company that performs these services.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:19 PM

1,298 posts, read 3,660,369 times
As long as a septic tank is working properly there should be no need to have it pumped. I've lived in Florida for 35 years and have always had septic tanks and have never had to have one pumped.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:38 PM

11,336 posts, read 25,061,985 times
pslOldTimer, you are incorrect. Solids build up in the main tank over time and reduce the capacity. When that happens, the effluent goes into the leach field without being processed. That eventually will clog the leach field, requiring a replacement of the lines and the surrounding dirt. There are a lot of variables, and the heat in FL and the sandy soil work to your advantage, but eventually someone will be stuck with both emptying your tank and replacing your leach field (at some expense). Check with any qualified plumber if you don't believe me.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:18 AM

503 posts, read 1,230,095 times
I too have heard of people that have never had to pump out thier septic tank, I have had to do mine a few times and have had new lines put in recently. I am glad I have the septic tank the cost of sewer hook up averages more than 50.00 a month.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:34 AM

5 posts, read 16,452 times
I have had septic tanks in the last two homes I lived in. I was in one home for four an a half years(rental properties) and never had a problem and there were seven of us in the house. a lot of laundry and bathing every week. One thing I learned is to help keep septic working well use ridx and also don't let a lot of grease and food particles go down drain

Old 04-06-2007, 06:40 AM

9,978 posts, read 15,822,036 times
As I sit here typing I am having an entire new septic system installed. The house I live in is old, the system was not cared for and the tank also has roots growing in it as does the leach field. The house also used to be rented and they poured god-knows-what like grease, etc. down the drain which renders the leach field useless.

Septics must be pumped every two to five years for proper maintenance of a good working system. The cost is $250 in my area, minimal indeed compared to sewer costs in the city.

New systems are expensive, mine will be $4,000 and believe me, that is on the low end of things. But you can't live without a sewer system!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:25 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,859,927 times
How often you need to pump your tank depends on how much stuff you throw down your garbage disposal. Garabage and toilet paper is what is difficult to break down. The "other stuff" isn't really the problem.

Most people only need to get their tank pumped about every 5 years or so.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 AM

11,336 posts, read 25,061,985 times
"New systems are expensive, mine will be $4,000 and believe me, that is on the low end of things. But you can't live without a sewer system!"

web search Humanure Handbook.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:39 AM

1,409 posts, read 3,462,915 times
Hmmm...wonder if that means it's time for us! We've been here almost 15 years and the house was a year old when we bought. Never had a problem with the septic tank or drain field. Maybe it's because there's only two of us except for family get-togethers when there will be 25 here! Is it really necessary to have it pumped when everything is working well? I'm thinking I'm with OldTimer on this one. But I don't want to have things backing up and have to make an emergency call either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida