U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-13-2009, 09:31 PM

158 posts, read 37,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
to come live here near them. They missed their grandkids, and now do, again.
I just cant imagine working outside in the FL summers doing landscaping... way too hot.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 09:33 PM

569 posts, read 1,125,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
I just cant imagine working outside in the FL summers doing landscaping... way too hot.
It's brutal. No wonder most people pay to have it done. Otherwise there would be a lot more heart attacks going around.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I agree. Those jobs are mostly gone. Also do not think this generation of 20 somethings are dedicated to anything like our parents and grandparents were. I hired many of those 20 somethings when I owned by business and believe me they did not want to work overtime, no weekends, did not want to work 8 hours either. I did not have that issue with the people I hired who were 35-50 range at all.

All I am saying if you found a job today and you paid into the retirement and the company matched you for 40 years then you deserve your money.

Face it, we are screwed psouth. Until someone in congress gets some ----- and tells it like it is we are screwed in America.

We need to stop the importing of everything and build or make it right here. We are even importing corn with our farmers field not growing any corn. Sad.

We need to go back to the industrial mentality but be much smarter.
I could not agree more. The slide continues with more and more importing and outsourcing of jobs. Florida is paying the price dearly with importing of cheap labor and goods like Chinese drywall.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:47 PM

11,501 posts, read 8,327,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I could not agree more. The slide continues with more and more importing and outsourcing of jobs. Florida is paying the price dearly with importing of cheap labor and goods like Chinese drywall.
Wal Mart is now selling canned peas from Indonesia and cookies from India.

They should be brutally penalized for bringing that crap in our country when India wont allow our goods into their country and took many of our IT jobs away from us.

As far as IT jobs go, someone in congress need to sponsor a bill that stops outsourcing of American jobs like this. The people who are in India have your credit files and credit records, credit card info, cell phone records etc right in front of them, did you know that?

Sad that we can see this but our elected officials are turning their heads.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:14 PM

The last time I called my credit card company I got the Phillippines. I hung up and called back only to get Argentina. I then asked for a rep in the USA. I supposedly got Texas and had to confirm by asking some American sports questions. Sure enough the correct answers and a very nice southern drawl confirmed she was in Texas. Politicians do not want to risk their jobs and alienating anyone so they turn their heads. Who knows what it will take?

All I know is the job situation because of all this is getting worse and worse. We do not need cheap Mexican labor when we can do it right here if employers would get away from paying slave labor wages. Florida needs to invest in professions that this cheap uneducated labor force cannot step in and do for half salary. This is why so many people are leaving.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:15 PM

4,644 posts, read 8,492,723 times
NO CURRENT AUTOWORKER IS MAKING $72 AN HOUR.

That number comes up because they're lumping retiree costs and current payments to retirees into that calculation, and the Big Three had no idea in 1965 that health insurance costs would get as out of control as they have in the past 40 years, and they were stuck with legacy contracts that said 'free health care for life'

If you compare actual CURRENT hourly compensaton, there's less than a $5/hour gap either way between UAW covered employees and non-union autoworkers.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 PM

5,973 posts, read 3,571,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
NO CURRENT AUTOWORKER IS MAKING $72 AN HOUR.

That number comes up because they're lumping retiree costs and current payments to retirees into that calculation, and the Big Three had no idea in 1965 that health insurance costs would get as out of control as they have in the past 40 years, and they were stuck with legacy contracts that said 'free health care for life'

If you compare actual CURRENT hourly compensaton, there's less than a $5/hour gap either way between UAW covered employees and non-union autoworkers.
Exactly

The media myth: Detroit's $70-an-hour autoworker | Media Matters for America

Old 05-13-2009, 10:55 PM

According to the article it looks like the average auto worker makes around $56K per year before overtime. How many generations of Floridians would have loved to have a guaranteed job like this right out of high school? Most teachers and law enforcement in Florida do not even see this kind of salary. Florida should have diversified many years ago instead of counting on retirees and tourism and illegal immigration for cheap labor. Now they wonder why young educated people have to leave in order to make a living.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 AM

14,697 posts, read 16,229,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
According to the article it looks like the average auto worker makes around $56K per year before overtime. How many generations of Floridians would have loved to have a guaranteed job like this right out of high school? Most teachers and law enforcement in Florida do not even see this kind of salary. Florida should have diversified many years ago instead of counting on retirees and tourism and illegal immigration for cheap labor. Now they wonder why young educated people have to leave in order to make a living.
The "$56/hour" auto worker days are OVER, dying (if not already dead). And that's everywhere, not just FL.

The days of one job households haven't been around for years, all across the country.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 AM

158 posts, read 37,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The "$56/hour" auto worker days are OVER, dying (if not already dead). And that's everywhere, not just FL.

The days of one job households haven't been around for years, all across the country.
$56k not $56/hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida