U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM

569 posts, read 1,097,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Why are you trying to request Florida be something it's not?

(By the way, that member is an attorney therefore there are plenty of jobs for attorneys since she SAYS SO I know that it is true in her world)

Never has been except for a few corporations. ATT for one had a huge IT center in Orlando and also Disney hired alot of IT unless they outsource it now I dont know.

It''s not "right now" it's ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY.
I understand what you are saying completely. But what are the young people supposed to do after college or high school even to make a living without uprooting and moving? It is very expensive to move and many cannot afford to do that either. If you do not have someone to stay with until you find a job then good luck. Even if you find one first it is still very difficult as many employers won't pick up the expense nowadays. There are just too many locals unemployed where they are. Unless it is specialized and they have to import people. Many are stuck in between and that is why they have to sacrifice and stay to work a crappy job for God knows how long in Florida. Plus the employers know this full and well and they take advantage. They know they can hire people with Master's degrees to be a phone basher.

When Florida was all retirees years ago it was a different story. NOne of this mattered. But now with more and more generations of kids being born in Florida and growing up things have changed. These new generations need good places to work while the state is still in the retiree mecca frame of mind. It is very unfair to the younger working age generations. Now when you throw in all these rich old geysers collecting huge pensions and not a financial worry in the world sucking up all the medicare and social security benefits when they don't need to.....don't get me started on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:46 AM

14,654 posts, read 15,595,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Why are you trying to request Florida be something it's not?

(By the way, that member is an attorney therefore there are plenty of jobs for attorneys since she SAYS SO I know that it is true in her world)

Slight correction, I'm a member of the male species

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors
Never has been except for a few corporations. ATT for one had a huge IT center in Orlando and also Disney hired alot of IT unless they outsource it now I dont know.

It''s not "right now" it's ALWAYS BEEN THAT WAY.

There is an argument for economies based on "local" industries as well as compared to "national" corporations. Look at what has happened to Detroit (cars). Look at what is happening in Charlotte (banking). Look at what happened to Florida/Nevada/CA (housing/real estate).

Miami, though, has more international financial institutions than any other place in the country besides New York. It's problem is that it's also a dumping point for a lot of Latin America's problems (much like SoCal's relationship with Mexico).

Florida is also big on trade because of this relationship with Latin America, however.

Florida was developed well after much of the rest of the country. It is no surprise that a majority of the Fortune 500 are not headquartered here!!

Old 05-10-2009, 10:53 AM

53 posts, read 79,968 times
and not an attorney either

Old 05-10-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatersFan View Post
and not an attorney either
Ha, well, on many days I wish that were the case. Unfortunately, there wasn't much else I could think about doing with a liberal arts degree and too much philosophy and social science concentration and an aversion to calculus.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 AM

569 posts, read 1,097,709 times
Maybe we could all become civil engineers and build bridges to nowhere.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:07 AM

53 posts, read 79,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Ha, well, on many days I wish that were the case. Unfortunately, there wasn't much else I could think about doing with a liberal arts degree and too much philosophy and social science concentration and an aversion to calculus.

I avoided calculus! Philosophy and social sciences are pretty interesting though.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Maybe we could all become civil engineers and build bridges to nowhere.

Nah, become a civil engineer and do "expert consulting" for attorneys for $300/hour. There are some doctors who make more money giving "expert opinions" these days than they ever did practicing medicine!

Old 05-10-2009, 01:08 PM

11,502 posts, read 7,955,010 times
I know many who have moved to Florida for less wages because they enjoy what Florida has to offer. Money is not everything.

Who would want to work this the corporate world today knowing you might not have a job tomorrow?

A smart person with skills would be starting their own business so if it become successful they reap the benefits.

No way would I work in any corporate environment with the massive layoffs in that line of work and wage cuts people are taking.

Nationwide Ins in Col Ohio employees were making 70k per year to sit on their butts and type and now those same people are no longer full time and make 40k per year doing the same work.

Far to many great opps in Florida to move unless you want to sit behind a desk for 40k per year with a heater under you desk to keep warm.

The majority of young professionals are not moving north, most of them are moving south. Ohio State Univ is the largest university in the country and their grads are heading South and SW.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:12 PM

11,502 posts, read 7,955,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
What gets me is NC unemployment rate is higher than Florida's. I guess they think the grass is greener because they don't check things out real well.

Oh and the bank's in Charlotte are laying off yet another 500 plus people in the next few weeks. With more to come. Those 500 plus people are already going to be competing for jobs with the thousands of people laid off in the Charlotte metro area, months before their looming layoff. Not to mention the county school system, is getting ready to layoff heavily.

You can find a job in Charlotte, but not like one used to. Before people looking for a job who wanted to move here could find a job on the net, but now those people who wish to move here, are and will be up against long established locals. That didn't happen too much before.

Thousands and thousands of people are laid off in Charlotte, their schools are horrible, justice system is a complete joke.
If you look at current states unemployment rates 11 or 12 north and north east states have higher unemployment rates then Florida.

Charlotte is falling apart at the seems, they have lost their lustre and destroy their growth with greed.

Some people do think the grass is greener north of the Florida border when in fact it is NOT any greener. I think most of it is an excuse because they are unhappy and it makes them feel better to leave Florida and blame Florida for their personal issues.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:20 PM

4,438 posts, read 8,003,198 times
Husband actually got about a 20% pay raise when we moved here from Tennessee. As messy and underfunded as Florida higher education is, their pay for faculty at non-flagship schools (ie. the tier of non-research schools below U of Florida, FSU, Georgia, Auburn, etc.) is competitive and often better than what other non-flagship schools in other Southeastern states pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida