U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 4,325 times
Please give me a straight forward answer. What are the impact fees to move into Florida for 2 cars? Any other impact fees you have to PAY for the honor of living in Florida?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 03:38 PM

161 posts, read 349,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiekatie View Post
Please give me a straight forward answer. What are the impact fees to move into Florida for 2 cars? Any other impact fees you have to PAY for the honor of living in Florida?????
It's right on the link posted upthread a few posts.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:53 PM

778 posts, read 907,271 times
Here's the link in case you find it.

Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

The poster also said to be sure to bring your car when registering as they check the VIN and odometer.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:44 PM

21,596 posts, read 29,623,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
This year's registration renewal fee works about to what we were paying to do the same thing in Tennessee in 1997. So while I'd always like to pay less, in the greater scheme of things, it's not horrible.
Maybe in 1997. In 2005, it cost $72 to register my vehicle and get a plate in TN. I about fell over, considering how much it cost to register my vehicle in FL in 1996.

Bottom line Jammie? Read this page. There is a $225 initial registration fee per vehicle. That is on top of the tax and the cost of the tag. That starts at $75. So yes, it is $300 and up, to register your vehicle in Florida. That doesn't even take into consideration the insurance, which is usually horrible compared to most parts of the country. Also, it is an additional $85 for a title that was previously registered in another state.

And yes, there is an annual tax of about $35 for each moped. http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/forms/BTR/Milpak/83140.pdf (broken link)

The state of Florida is not very welcoming to the new folks. For years, people couldn't wait to move to Florida and the state took advantage of it and is the first one to reach into your pocket.

On the other hand, at least you are not buying in 2007, right? At least you can now find a deal! So good luck, Jammie, and I hope you enjoy it!

Florida DHSMV Dealer Licenses

Old 07-26-2010, 10:42 AM

2,997 posts, read 2,497,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Could someone tell us if there is still a fee for bringing your vehicle into Florida when you move there? A few years ago, we were told there is a $300 fee for each out of state vehicle that you register in Fla. Is it still that way? Also, would that include a moped?
Cars are running $430 each for Title Transfer , registration, and plate. If you have an antique car , it runs $153 , which is a deal. Dont know about mopeds ... most likely alot less .

Old 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 18,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
BUT... The new plate fee is either $225 or $325 depending on the vehicle. Title is $85. Reg fees are no longer $27, $35, $47.... They START at $57 and go up..... 2 people I know just registered from out of state, one was $435, the other guy paid $520 for a Cavalier I sold him.......

So there is no impact fee, just a bend over and give me your entire paycheck fee for everyone here now.
I think you're right.
I have to call them monday, because as with most things in florida, the description of the fees on their website is less than clear. E.g. there's an "Inititial Registration Fee" of $225 if there's no prior FL registration - which sounds like a car brought in from out of state. But you can't be absolutely sure.

Add to that a metal license plate fee of 28, a registration fee of 76, a title fee of 85, it looks like it costs $400 + to bring in an aging Ford Taurus.

I'm stuck in FL for a while, but this is one of the many reasons to wish I weren't.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:55 PM

4,679 posts, read 4,652,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBlank View Post
I think you're right.
I have to call them monday, because as with most things in florida, the description of the fees on their website is less than clear. E.g. there's an "Inititial Registration Fee" of $225 if there's no prior FL registration - which sounds like a car brought in from out of state. But you can't be absolutely sure.

Add to that a metal license plate fee of 28, a registration fee of 76, a title fee of 85, it looks like it costs $400 + to bring in an aging Ford Taurus.

I'm stuck in FL for a while, but this is one of the many reasons to wish I weren't.
You're very right. Any car not already registered in Florida (Having a title from another state.) is subject to the impact fee and all the fee's you listed. Yeah, It's going to cost you over $400 to register your Taurus.. Unless you re-new your registration from where you're coming from. That'll give you a year to get your money in order if you don't have it. They say you have 30 days or whatever but there are so many people from other states in Florida everyday that no one will notice.

Old 01-07-2012, 07:09 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,545,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutiekatie View Post
Why are you even asking here? Just call the DMV!!!

http://www.flhsmv.gov/index.html

Old 01-08-2012, 11:38 AM

4,679 posts, read 4,652,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Maybe in 1997. In 2005, it cost $72 to register my vehicle and get a plate in TN. I about fell over, considering how much it cost to register my vehicle in FL in 1996.
It cost me $92 in Davidson County, TN in 2008. Plus the $8 inspection fee.

Old 01-08-2012, 03:04 PM

1,111 posts, read 476,583 times
I paid a total of $250, including vanity plates for 2 years registration, 4 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida