Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 PM

112 posts, read 427,976 times

Advertisements

While traveling south down 27 going past Sebring I stopped in a little neat town called Lake Placid. I seemed like the quaintness and the old fashoned kick back style of the locals with the almost manacured beauty of the lake made my blood pressure drop a few points. It reminded my of the old Florida
I remembered in the 60s when people were welcomed . I wish I knew about Lake Placid before I invested in other parts of the state
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
I bet it's still overinflated like the rest of this state. Sit tight, the days of reckoning are comming...

Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 PM

670 posts, read 1,742,865 times
Yep, Lake Placid and Placid Lakes a little further South. The Hills! Love the hills. It is nice and quiet.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 PM

While I was there, one of the local retirees said that Highland County earned its name because it is higher than most parts of Southern Florida. He said that you could run a garden hose 24-7 and it wouldnt form a puddle, and he said it with a straight face. He also said that there were alot of lots in the rolling hills for under $20K. I guess that the land is high except for the price.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,437,836 times
Discontented, isn't Lake Placid just the cutest place? It's one of the cutest towns I've ever seen.

Did you check out all the murals on the buildings? They have hidden pictures in each one of them and it's fun to just walk from mural to mural and try to find the pics. Even their trash cans have artwork on them. If I remember correctly, they have a cute little peaceful park right in the center of town. I have family in Sebring and they even like Lake Placid.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:34 PM

398 posts, read 1,409,333 times
There's something special about that place...I've passed over there a few times and like yall say, is beautiful, cute, peaceful, is so special..

Old 04-07-2007, 07:36 PM

159 posts, read 655,803 times
I DO own lots in Lake Placid. My ex and I had a home there and Atlanta so we went back and forth. Lake Placid and Sebring are Old Florida. It's like stepping back in time. I remember when I first started going there all the bag boys and cashiers in Publix were in their 70's or 80's! All of them!

It is quaint but dead. Now if you are young enough to clean houses or do remodeling or yard work you would find yourself in high demand there! But...then the old people are living on fixed income and think they should only pay the prices they paid 50 years ago so you would have to deal with that...

Lake Placid is the Caladium Captiol of the World. They grow something like 97% of the Caladiums in the world. It is also known as the "City of Murals". Ironically the town I lived in in Georgia wanted to fashion itself after Lake Placid and started painting murals...

Houses aren't cheap but reasonable. No lots have sold in some time due to all the investors coming up from Lauderdale and now there is an overabundance of lots for sale. Folks snapped up most all the houses on the lakes already but I still think housing there is much more affordable than most places in Florida.

Yes, it is peaceful, serene and like many old towns along the US-27 corridor has not grown much in umpteen years.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 PM

Wink The way I like it!!

I would much rather live in the past than in the present, or future

Old 04-07-2007, 08:42 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,743,113 times
Florida was a great place to live in the past. If you can find the same conditions today, it would be foolish not to take advantage of them.

Old 04-08-2007, 12:04 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
oh no! you gave away the secret....oh well...
I've been there too, and it is a slice of 'ole Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: