Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:44 AM

93 posts, read 283,530 times

Advertisements

We had our well go dry. It cost $2800 to get it fixed. This house is two years old and the well was put in when it was built. The guy that came out said that the well is at 140'. This moving to Florida was not what I had in mind. I have to say I should have checked just a little deeper. I'm starting to think Florida is just a money pit !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 AM

46 posts, read 172,520 times
Sorry you had that bad experiance. Did you maybe talk to the builders or mortgage people to see if there was something they could do? ie. PAY for it? I mean i know nothings free but after just 2 years that doesnt seem right.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,164,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamove2 View Post
We had our well go dry. It cost $2800 to get it fixed. This house is two years old and the well was put in when it was built. The guy that came out said that the well is at 140'. This moving to Florida was not what I had in mind. I have to say I should have checked just a little deeper. I'm starting to think Florida is just a money pit !
You must live in a county and not a city. Along with the savings on a water bill, and probably sewer and garbage every month I would guess your taxes may be a few thousand a year less then the city. A well going dry happens, has nothing to do with Florida, lets hope the new one does the job. Either way you are probably ahead. Where are you by the way?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:04 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,820,627 times
Red face Isn't that pushing it a bit?

My Mom calls it the "Florida curse". All sorts of stuff happen here and you are ALWAYS struggling just to get by every month.

I hardly can blame the state itself for the problems that result in no money left in the end of the month.

But I can certainly understand where the poster is coming from. I seem to have the same problem. My Mom ended her "FL curse" by moving to Texas (to an area I rather dislike - El Paso. But she is moving to Houston after June). Now she is saving $600/month and has health insurance and life insurance paid for by the clinic where she works!! In FL, she only got her check, no benefits, not even sick days off!

Call it a curse or whatever. Yes, money just seems to 'vanish' around here, like the money-pit you described. Call it high cost of living or a curse, but to blame the state itself? That is pushing it a bit, even though I feel the same way about the money problems here.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:22 AM

17,466 posts, read 38,877,668 times
I am sorry this happened to you, but unfortunately Florida is in a VERY SERIOUS drought right now, and lots of wells are going to be going dry. This is why our stupid government needs to be curbing development, we don't have water for all the people here and coming here. Water shortages abound even in "wet" times. I am on a well where I live also, and am praying we don't have problems. When you say they "fixed" it, I am assuming you mean they had to drill deeper? Good luck, I sure hope it won't be a recurring issue. Which county are you in?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:26 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,164,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am sorry this happened to you, but unfortunately Florida is in a VERY SERIOUS drought right now, and lots of wells are going to be going dry. This is why our stupid government needs to be curbing development, we don't have water for all the people here and coming here. Water shortages abound even in "wet" times. I am on a well where I live also, and am praying we don't have problems. When you say they "fixed" it, I am assuming you mean they had to drill deeper? Good luck, I sure hope it won't be a recurring issue. Which county are you in?
What is really the + & - of wells? Annual cost, pressure, on going problems and compared to city water overall. I have never had a well but suspect I will soon.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,662,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
They aren't going to do that! This state gets all it's income from real estate investing!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,649,398 times
This problem is not just in Florida, we have those problems in Ohio.

Mother in law has lived in the same house for 40 years. Last summer the county decided they want to make changes, did not ask the residents of her sub division and "forced" the change onto them.

They went from a direct sewer tie in to a stupid septic leach out into sewer system, tore up her yard and never fixed it and the costs!!!

5500.00 to do this, you can pay up front or pay 100.00 per month on top of your already high 65.00 sewer bill.

Hows that for living in the same home (paid for long ago) for 40 years and get nailed for 5500.00 with no choice.

I understand your frustration, but it is not a Florida only thing.

I had to pay 10k just to get a tap into a back small rental property that was seperate from the main house on the same property, when I told them ok, I will just build a new bedroom and combine the two building into one, they said no, already been looked at.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:02 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,887,096 times
Alot of people move here and find it cost alot more then what they think. I was just reading about how the cost is more then most people can pay.Tampa Bay’s News 10. “Jennifer Beheler has lived in her house ever since she had her first child, But between the cost of insurance, property taxes and the mortgage it’s a struggle, ‘Our payments have almost doubled in fact they have doubled since we moved in.’ She may lose her home.”

“Jennifer’s not the only one having trouble holding on to her home. Foreclosures increased by 80-percent in Florida since last year. And around the bay it’s the same situation.”

“Polk increased by 55%. Hillsborough 76%. Pinellas 79%. Pasco 111%. Sarasota/Manatee 182%. Lee County had the highest increase since last year at 376-percent.”

Old 04-05-2007, 04:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,649,398 times
What people are telling me is people went out a refinance homes when the prices/values went up to pay off credit cards and bills and now finding themselves in over there head. ( I speak to sales reps in Florida many times a day all week )

COL is going up everywhere, not just in Florida, my property taxes went up with the new school we just built last year, 3 years ago it doubled when we built the new high school.

Our insurance went up 30% from just 3 years ago because of the ice storms we had last winter.
Just like I tell my Mother in Law, if cost gets out of hand and you can no longer afford to live in your house of 40 years, you will have to sell, take the money you will make and buy a newer home, smaller with new everything you need being new. That's life, things change and we all have to change with it.

I have yet to see anyone post how "bad" it was to make only 100k-200k on homes during the fake property value increase !!!
They wont mention the money they made of the fake increase but yet they are the same ones whining about a 30.00 higher electric bill...

How many people in Florida made a killing off selling homes/property during this time.. Allot of them did! But you will not see that posted here.

No one ever guaranteed cost to be the same when you bought a house or everyone would be staying put.

The overall picture of cost is not and will not be soley in Florida, for instance a friend of mine bought a house in Surfside Beach SC, small town south of Myrtle Beach for 93,000 in 2002, totat value today is 350k with some updating, landscaping etc and has been offered 300k cash for it. yet he whines about the taxes going up, water going up etc. I told him what more do you want!
You just made 200k ( less the new updates which were around 20k) on your home in less then 6 years, sell the damn thing and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida