Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 09:22 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinigyul0726 View Post
I guess some people are fortunate in that their lives are so organized that they never pay their bills late. Good for you. I will definitely question the practices of ANY company that does not allow a grace period (say 30 days) in which one is allowed to pay their bill. WREC sends a service person to notify you and then charge you $25.00 for that but wait before they do, they place a "courtesy" call but do not identify that they are calling from WREC. Common sense dictates that if you are leaving a message on someone's phone the caller needs to identify themself. Their practice seems very dishonest. FYI...My bill was WAY LESS than 30 days late.
Withlacooche allows 20 days from the billing date till due date.
After that you are charged 1.5% of the unpaid balance as a late charge.
On a $150 bill this would equal $2.75, that does not seem unfair to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineState View Post
My house is about 1800 sq foot with a jacuzzi (no pool) and in the summer we pay about $350 to $400 a month on Withlacoochee Electric. I just paid mine today and it was $197 as I haven't been running the a/c. My cousin has a home that is 600sq feet and she pays around $600 a month with the same company.(no pool) Some electric companies are a little higher or lower than others.
How can anyone pay $600 a month for a small 600sq ft home?

I also have Withlacoochee, i got my bill this week for $154, thats the highest i ever paid.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:14 PM

7 posts, read 39,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Withlacooche allows 20 days from the billing date till due date.
After that you are charged 1.5% of the unpaid balance as a late charge.
On a $150 bill this would equal $2.75, that does not seem unfair to me.
I stand but what I've written....Good luck with your career.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:42 AM

54 posts, read 317,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Hello! Just wondering if anyone could give me a rough idea of what my electric costs will be for a 3000 sq ft home in central florida? Lets say, if I kept the thermostat on 79 or so during the summer? this house also has a pool. I am just trying to get some idea of what our monthly expenses will be.

How much do you all pay for power down there in your houses?
After reading most of the posts to this question, you should be at a total loss for a final figure. What has to be figured in the calculations is age of house and equipment, who is providing electric, and more user preferences. Simple statements of square footage, pool and thermostat doesn't get to the ultimate bill.
When I did energy studies with my students 10years ago, I had them bring in bills to try to analyse consumption. Energy consumption habits are hard to change! If you are actually thinking about it and monitor the things you plug in, it shouldn't be much different than your place in the north.
Pool can run anywhere from an hour a day to 12, depending on who you talk to and how many use it. but that is only .5 to 1.5 hp pump. not the biggest user of electric. Electric co. here used to do a walk thru to help reduce consumption.
Having a refrigerator and a freezer in the uninsulated garage for the beer and road kill storage uses more

Old 08-18-2008, 08:54 AM

26 posts, read 126,403 times
I know this post is a little older, but I thought I would weigh in my opinion on this since I just moved to Tampa in May. I have a 2840 sq ft home that is brand new. We have a radiant barrier, low-e windows and 2 14 seer air conditioners. 1 of them is set on 79 during the day and 77 at night. The other is set at 90 all day except the night which then drops to 80. THe second A/C is used in our upstairs bonus room and is only used at night for tv and movie watching. We have ceiling fans in all rooms that are only used when in the room and we also have an electric stove and an electric water heater, but we have HE washer, dryer and Refrige. We have 2 lap tops and a desktop on 24/7. We also have can lights throughout the house and I've been trying to gradually replace those with florescent lights.

Anyways, June's bill was 225, July's Bill was 216 and August Bill was 198!!! In my opinion that is amazing. Under 200 bucks for a house in Florida in the hottest month of the year with an electric hot water heater. We are looking into getting propane or solar water heat for the water heater because we've heard that can be up to 25% of your bill each month.

If you are building a new home I highly advise the radiant barrier in the attic. It is an extra expense, but we have neighbors that don't have it and their bills are 50+ dollars more then ours. I also recommend the low-e windows. In this day an age energy savings counts and will not only help you with lower energy bills, but will also put you above the rest when selling your home.

If anyone has any questions about energy savings, let me know. I don't know it all, but I've done a lot of research and l'm more then willing to share what I know.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:28 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leepoffaith View Post
I know this post is a little older, but I thought I would weigh in my opinion on this since I just moved to Tampa in May. I have a 2840 sq ft home that is brand new. We have a radiant barrier, low-e windows and 2 14 seer air conditioners. 1 of them is set on 79 during the day and 77 at night. The other is set at 90 all day except the night which then drops to 80. THe second A/C is used in our upstairs bonus room and is only used at night for tv and movie watching. We have ceiling fans in all rooms that are only used when in the room and we also have an electric stove and an electric water heater, but we have HE washer, dryer and Refrige. We have 2 lap tops and a desktop on 24/7. We also have can lights throughout the house and I've been trying to gradually replace those with florescent lights.

Anyways, June's bill was 225, July's Bill was 216 and August Bill was 198!!! In my opinion that is amazing. Under 200 bucks for a house in Florida in the hottest month of the year with an electric hot water heater. We are looking into getting propane or solar water heat for the water heater because we've heard that can be up to 25% of your bill each month.

If you are building a new home I highly advise the radiant barrier in the attic. It is an extra expense, but we have neighbors that don't have it and their bills are 50+ dollars more then ours. I also recommend the low-e windows. In this day an age energy savings counts and will not only help you with lower energy bills, but will also put you above the rest when selling your home.

If anyone has any questions about energy savings, let me know. I don't know it all, but I've done a lot of research and l'm more then willing to share what I know.

My question is this: Does having the air conditioner set at such high temperatures keep the humidity of the house down when the dew points are so high (70s)?

Old 08-18-2008, 11:02 AM

153 posts, read 408,154 times
1800 sq and I pay less than 100 a month w/ our AC set @ 79 24/7. I'm going up in sq ft next month (2650 sq ft)w/ a new home purchase and I'll see what that is like in 2 months.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:13 PM

50 posts, read 173,508 times
I am seeing so many that keep their AC set at 79 degrees. We are in the MidAtlantic region and keep ours between 70 and 72 in the summer. In the winter we keep the heat set at about 68. My husband likes the house to be pretty cool inside. If we get to move to Florida it sounds like he is either going to have to do some adapting or we are going to have outrageous electric bills.

Even this summer we had a couple weeks earlier in the summer where the temps stayed in the upper 90's and even then our bill was only about 100 that month.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:15 PM

153 posts, read 408,154 times
79 degrees is cool. I'm skinny and so is my wife so it doesn't take much to heat up or cool off. I have to raise it to 81 when I use the ceiling fan, that or wear a sweat shirt inside. After about 15 mins or so from being outside you can tell the difference w/ 79* in the house. I work in a AC building and I use a space heater in my section. That's how sensitive to temps I am...and I'm in FLORIDA!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:28 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,887,919 times
Man, It's threads like this that make me glad I am where I am... I pay $150/mo. for electric in my home in Nashville that is 3,500 sq foot. Usually the bill stays the same year round, summer and winter. usually it's set at 68 degrees in the summer and 75 degrees in the winter.

$400 a month for electricity is crazy !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida