Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitcorvair View Post
A man I talked to from this company sent out a book. I followed the directions for reducing my energy costs. I did replace seals on two doors a year ago. My bulbs are mostly the new kind that save you money. The way they read the meter is electronically from a designated point in the neiborhood its over a mile from me. My elec bill is the exact same amount as it was last month.
400.00 again. Moving like I said. But this is awful.
I can not imagine why this bill is so high.
Perhaps things will be better for me when I change.
I had the same problem, I put a timer on our hot water heater, replaced the pool pump motor with a two speed motor, and I replaced all of the bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps. I do not turn them off unless I know that I am not going to be using that room within the next four hours. Also, I put energy saving bulbs outside. My electricity bill went from $400.00 a month $200.00 a month on average. There are still a lot of things that I intend to do to take the bill even lower. I would recommend that you have your water heater checked out, and if it is ok put a timer on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 08:16 PM

652 posts, read 1,653,064 times
Luckily I have Florida Power and Light in south Florida and they say they have the lowest rates in the state. In my old apartment the central AC unit must have been from the 70's because it was so expensive I used it mostly at night and it never go that cool. Luckily this week the old AC in my apartment broke and after a nightmarish 4 nights of sleeping in 87 degree heat I have a new unit in and it should save me money because it has a thermostat that I can set so it doesn't run all night and freeze me in the morning like the old unit.

Another tip is to invest in Blackout curtains to keep some of the sun and heat out. Luckily my unit now doesn't get too much direct sunlight so it doesn't get extra hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida