Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 05:39 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,190,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
nomoresnow,

Let's just do it! I'm working hard to clear the way to get down there this week...i'll know today if I can....
The wife is ready to start walking there today with or without me. We've been married for almost 28 years.....she told me if we ever talk divorce, (a very unlikely possibility), that I get the northern house with the mortgage, and she gets the paid for Florida house....

Reason enough to stay very faithful!

Frank D.
LOL...funny. I have the same understanding w/my hubby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 07:42 AM

460 posts, read 2,337,319 times
Thumbs up I love this thread!

O.k. another positive....

I love Hibiscus plants, they are soo beautiful. Here in Illinois, you can have them, but you have to keep them in pots and bring the poor things in long before the first freeze.
In Florida, thet grow all over the place! and they look like bushes!
I love all the vegetation everywhere!

And I will tell you another story....because you all sound like me and my husband too...

I have been married for 5 years, known my husband for almost 11, and when we first met, he was 18 and I was 20. We found out that we both loved the beach and ocean. So about 6 months after we met, we decided one day to just take the last of our money, I only had about 300.00 and hop in the car and drive there. We ended up in Daytona Beach 2 days later, and we stayed for 2 months! We had the time of our lives and we both will never forget it. We didnt have much money at all, but that did not matter. Every morning we would go to the Pier and have a cup of coffee and watch the seagulls.
I remember the night before we left, we promised ourselves that we would come back someday to live there.
We did come back several times for a vacation, and now, 3 kids later, we have decided that this is our year. We are moving down there no matter what.

I really do believe that like Sunrico said, its all up to YOU to make it work. That is very true.

Its great to find so many others who feel the same way that I do!

Jen

Old 04-07-2007, 08:05 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,113,269 times
Well guys. I've stuck up for Florida, Miami no less, ever since I found this C-D. I finally did get tired of the JUNK a few discontented ones keep bringing up in the Miami forum and have bailed out of it permanently. It just seems that they are really either very miserable in their own regular lives or they are extremely unrealistic about everything, not just a few things.

So here I am in Miami for the last 10.5 years, from NYC. I love it. It does have its problems and downsides but not really for me. I love the "freedom" here not worrying about blustering cold winds and all the gear that goes with it, the beaches even if I don't see them every day, the ease with which you can drive just a little bit and go anywhere and "clear your head" from the daily turmoils. I like the different foods. I have a big enough yard to have my doggies which I couldn't in NY. I have "sunshine" almost every day. It's just so nice overall that I wouldn't trade it for it anything. I may move out of Miami someday, but not out of Florida.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:08 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,072,019 times
Let me just clear up about the FL free passes. If you go to a park for a day, yes, you have to pay but you have the option to come back all year for free. You just have to stand in line and have your picture taken for your pass but believe me, that line is looooong. I used to have the Busch Gardens and SeaWorld world passes for the year. There are so many options available. We actually paid a little more to get 2 years free.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:00 AM

166 posts, read 984,287 times
I purchased my home when I was only 24, and the value of my property is a contributing factor that has made me a very wealthy woman. My home is already 90% paid off. When I go to sell, I am going to make a great amount of money. That's one good thing about S. Eastern Florida. Back then, homes practically cost nothing, now they cost more than anybody could of ever imagined possible. Now many college grads can't afford them!...but I always knew that purchasing a home would be a great investment and not to wait till I was older. I pursued a home before a college degree. I was right!

Last edited by Angelrocks; 04-07-2007 at 09:11 AM..

Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 AM

201 posts, read 980,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
This is a nice and cheery topic! Some of the nice things about Florida are ~NO SNOW~NO COLD~The flowers are always blooming and the trees and lawns are always nice and green. And the beautiful palm trees like you've all mentioned. And of course, the beaches are beautiful, too. And Fla. has Seaworld and I love it there.
Don't forget the architecture in many areas of Florida .... Mediterranean , colorful, Spanish tile stucco homes like in Southern California ... love that unlike , the boring wood structures in many other areas on the country

Old 04-07-2007, 09:10 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,185,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Let me just clear up about the FL free passes. If you go to a park for a day, yes, you have to pay but you have the option to come back all year for free. You just have to stand in line and have your picture taken for your pass but believe me, that line is looooong. I used to have the Busch Gardens and SeaWorld world passes for the year. There are so many options available. We actually paid a little more to get 2 years free.
Yes, we also paid for 1 day and got passes to visit the remainder of the year free. However, these were for Busch Gardens, SeaWorld and Cypress Gardens (although Cypress Gardens has closed and gone under new management since then) NOT any of the Disney Parks or Universal Parks. Although Universal sometimes (especially in Jan.) runs a great deal for Florida residents...basically pay for 2 days and get the rest of the year free for both parks - through AAA I can get it even cheaper. Disney's passes are very expensive even for Florida residents INHO.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 AM

93 posts, read 368,861 times
I am sooooo happy to have found this thread and have to agree 100% with everyone. I left NYC 6 years ago, started a small home maint. business and have not looked back since. I do good work at fair prices and have all the work I need. There are plenty of opportunities down here and the cost of living is less than half of NYC. People say Good Morning, hello, Good Evening and are just downrigth pleasant.

I still have one minor problem......Christmas shopping, hearing Jingle bells, seeing Santa, looking at palm trees and wearing shorts! My mind still gets stuck on that one every now and then.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 AM

90 posts, read 367,360 times
The salty air by the coast is therapeutic for me.

I would NEVER go to work in freezing temps or snow...so I love our weather.

Two time national champ FLORIDA GATORS basketball and football.

You CAN swim with manatees right in the intercoastal of Ft. Pierce if you get lucky when they come in from the cold.

Great fishing

Great SCUBA

Camping on barrier islands

Tubing down the river on a beautiful spring day

Spring sprung here first Hibiscus are blooming and beautiful.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:24 AM

166 posts, read 984,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrgh View Post
I am sooooo happy to have found this thread and have to agree 100% with everyone. I left NYC 6 years ago, started a small home maint. business and have not looked back since. I do good work at fair prices and have all the work I need. There are plenty of opportunities down here and the cost of living is less than half of NYC. People say Good Morning, hello, Good Evening and are just downrigth pleasant.

I still have one minor problem......Christmas shopping, hearing Jingle bells, seeing Santa, looking at palm trees and wearing shorts! My mind still gets stuck on that one every now and then.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot...my husbands business! He makes so much money down here. We found a business that illegals can't mimic, and we are really blessed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida