U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 06:40 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,261,817 times

Advertisements

Since we have the "few" Florida haters on this board who spew nothing but negatives about Florida, lets post nothing but how great Florida is and all the positives we can about Florida.

For us:

1. Beaches / Palm Trees
2. Year around great weather
3. Friendly people ( we all know a few unfriendly people haters like ones on this board )
4. Beautiful Homes
5. Sites Galore!!! ( ex: WDW, Busch, Beaches, Beautiful Towns, Sunken Gardens, St. Aug etc ! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 06:50 PM

460 posts, read 2,149,681 times
Default I just have to jump in on this one!

Along with all those things you mentioned, Floridabound, I simply must add how wonderful it is to walk along the beach, picking up seashells...hearing the sound of the water...smelling the thick salty air....this is heavenly. Doesnt matter how many other tourists are there, or the price of things, its just worth it to me.....

Jen

Old 04-06-2007, 06:55 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,351,704 times
1. Don't forget the beautiful sunrises and sunsets over the water. Where else can you watch a sunrise on the east coast and sunset on the west coast all in the same day.

2. How many people get the chance to watch a space shuttle launch. Absolutely awesome to see a night launch.

3. Of course, FL residents get free passes to the parks if you dare to tackle the crowds.

4. Swim with the manatees. where else in the world can you do that.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceandreams94 View Post
Along with all those things you mentioned, Floridabound, I simply must add how wonderful it is to walk along the beach, picking up seashells...hearing the sound of the water...smelling the thick salty air....this is heavenly. Doesnt matter how many other tourists are there, or the price of things, its just worth it to me.....

Jen
You nailed it OC !! No matter the cost it is well worth it!

Each of those things you wrote are exactly what my wife, kids and I talk about all the time after we come home to 10 degree weather and snow.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:03 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,957,456 times
I too get a bit exasperated about a few posters here who continuously post about how they hate Florida........it seems to be more here then at other states city-data has.

But, they have a right to their opinion, and I have learned a bit from them, even when I do not always agree.

Bottom line....more people seem to be moving TO Florida then FROM Florida. that being said, there is no perfect place for mortals to live, and much of our opinion about a place is directly linked to our attitude on life, etc.

Florida is a big place, with different regions, (ie, The Villages is A LOT different then inner city Miami) and there are many different kinds of people. If I had little skills, and were young and poor and trying hard to better myself, I too might have a somewhat negitive view of Florida....like when you are wanting to buy a home and you see that they may be way out of reach, or if you are stuck in a dead end job with poor pay and benefits, etc.

On the other hand, many people have worked hard in other areas, planned and invested well, and now want to enjoy the fruits of their years of labor in a place with warm weather and a tax friendly state. THUS, the popularity of Florida.

I visited Florida, and bought a place there to retire, then found this good forum....and almost got discouraged from the many negitive posts.....then I took what I read with a grain or two of salt, and realized that even the negitive posts had kernels of truth to them, and some points were quite valid, and that they could help me have a good, honest, BALANCED view.

Even with the negitives, I can't wait to get back down there, and in 4 years, be a Floridian.

Frank D.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
1. Don't forget the beautiful sunrises and sunsets over the water. Where else can you watch a sunrise on the east coast and sunset on the west coast all in the same day.

2. How many people get the chance to watch a space shuttle launch. Absolutely awesome to see a night launch.

Would love to see this !!!

3. Of course, FL residents get free passes to the parks if you dare to tackle the crowds.

Uhmm Very tempting !!!

4. Swim with the manatees. where else in the world can you do that

My entire family is going to swim with dolphins in June at Sea World
200.00 bucks per person for 1 hour will be well worth the 1k to do so.
Where can you swim with the manatees? Wow !!

DF,

Wow, this is going to be so great to see all these positives !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
I too get a bit exasperated about a few posters here who continuously post about how they hate Florida........it seems to be more here then at other states city-data has.

But, they have a right to their opinion, and I have learned a bit from them, even when I do not always agree.

Bottom line....more people seem to be moving TO Florida then FROM Florida. that being said, there is no perfect place for mortals to live, and much of our opinion about a place is directly linked to our attitude on life, etc.

Florida is a big place, with different regions, (ie, The Villages is A LOT different then inner city Miami) and there are many different kinds of people. If I had little skills, and were young and poor and trying hard to better myself, I too might have a somewhat negitive view of Florida....like when you are wanting to buy a home and you see that they may be way out of reach, or if you are stuck in a dead end job with poor pay and benefits, etc.

On the other hand, many people have worked hard in other areas, planned and invested well, and now want to enjoy the fruits of their years of labor in a place with warm weather and a tax friendly state. THUS, the popularity of Florida.

I visited Florida, and bought a place there to retire, then found this good forum....and almost got discouraged from the many negitive posts.....then I took what I read with a grain or two of salt, and realized that even the negitive posts had kernels of truth to them, and some points were quite valid, and that they could help me have a good, honest, BALANCED view.

Even with the negitives, I can't wait to get back down there, and in 4 years, be a Floridian.

Frank D.
Frank, I wish you well and I too was discourage once I read a few post on this board, until someone PM me that those negtives posters are either jealous, selfish or plain unhappy with their own lives. Then I realized there were only a few of them and they were wrong 99% of the time.

You too hit it right on, people work hard and want to live the rest of their lives in Paradise, they deserve too!

Old 04-06-2007, 07:09 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,957,456 times
Praise God,
no more snow, no more salt on the cars, no more potholes, no more gloves, no more ice scrapers, no more whiteouts or black ice, no more snowblowers, no more rock salt, no more snow fence, no more bringing in all liquids from the garage to the basement because of freezing......no more basements even?!?

OK, i'll miss my basement.

Still a good trade.

Frank D.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 PM

22,554 posts, read 47,380,481 times
Floridians get free passes to which parks?

Old 04-06-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post
Praise God,
no more snow, no more salt on the cars, no more potholes, no more gloves, no more ice scrapers, no more whiteouts or black ice, no more snowblowers, no more rock salt, no more snow fence, no more bringing in all liquids from the garage to the basement because of freezing......no more basements even?!?

OK, i'll miss my basement.

Still a good trade.

Frank D.
Gosh, I know all those above, each and every one of them.

Basement! I will too, but......

Who needs one, I am already tossing all the stuff, do not need all that stuff in FLA buddy !!!

All I need is my wife and kids, everything else will fall easily into place.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM

13,495 posts, read 34,082,151 times
This is a nice and cheery topic! Some of the nice things about Florida are ~NO SNOW~NO COLD~The flowers are always blooming and the trees and lawns are always nice and green. And the beautiful palm trees like you've all mentioned. And of course, the beaches are beautiful, too. And Fla. has Seaworld and I love it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or