U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 PM

10 posts, read 43,645 times

Advertisements

Yes. I said it despite the fact that the Gator's football and basketball teams are national champs and that UF is an excellent school with a beautiful/clean campus. I have been here for almost ten years and I still don't feel a connection.All of the people I met and befriended when I initially moved here have moved because like myself, they weren't from here. The city does seem sort of clickish but please don't think that I don't like it because it is a beautiful city and it is very family oriented (which is why I staid so long). It is also growing and becoming more diverse. Moreover it is both nature friendly and full of parks. There are also more churchs than you can count for every faith. It is also a reasonably safe place if you ride bikes. I have even gotten sad because I know that it is not the place for me although I can see that it has a definite future. I just need a change of LUCK.

My next stop is Clearwater, Fl. Does anyone know anything about that area? I have heard that it is quite beautiful. I love a nice, clean, diverse city that isn't too expensive for a person that earns about 26,000 a year as a single parent. I am getting closer to 40 y/o and I want to be near water although I can't afford beachfront property. But just seeing it calms my spirit. It is something I would like to have the option of seeing every day. I would also like to have enough churches to chose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 11:01 PM

830 posts, read 1,029,447 times
I've heard that complaint about Gainesville from people around your age. Basically, Gainesville is an awesome place if you are under 30 and single or married with kids.

But if you are an over 30 person and single, it can be challenging meeting people.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:46 AM

Yeah. That's exactly it. This is a great city for college aged people and professionals. The in betweens have a challenge. But I wouldn't discourage anyone who likes the features that listed in my previous post.

Thank you

Old 04-07-2007, 08:25 AM

90 posts, read 338,780 times
Wow I think you just took the words right out of my mouth! Even Clearwater may be the next stop for me lol. I have been in the ville for 10 years...I am ready to close that chapter. It is a beautiful area and it has served its purpose for me. It is like a vortex though. It sucks you in and it is hard to get out even if you are sick of it. I moved to Orange Park while I was doing rotations in Jax and I hated it. I would run back to gville just about every weekend and it scared me LOL.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:11 PM

Gatorblu
U Made me Laugh...........At least now I now it isn't just me. But you've got to admit that the traffic is one thing that isn't a problem unless you want to go down newberry road between the hours of 4 & 6. I heard that Clearwater traffic is a real buger .

Old 04-07-2007, 05:14 PM

40 posts, read 327,154 times
I grew up in Gainesville Florida and left it for a career in the Navy, Ive lived all over the world, and am now with my husband and we are in Jacksonville Beach Florida, we are trying to sell this house, Id like to return to Gainesville, as far as people connections it may not be the best, but Clearwater I hear is kinda like St. Pete, lotsa older folks, but I think the job market in Gville is really growing with the new Cancer Hospital coming in and more, so think about it good... Im trying to get back over there, my brother is judge there and my mother and sister live there too, so I have roots there, miss it alot, and its serene climate... believe me, Jacksonville folks arent near as friendly as Gainesville people are either... but I understand how you feel, sometimes ya just gotta try a new paradise...

Old 04-07-2007, 07:50 PM

90 posts, read 338,780 times
Well I think if I were married and ready to have a family I could settle there but I am a young professional and the dating scene for someone like myself is not appealing. Although I think I need salt air to survive...

Old 04-09-2007, 08:22 AM

1,418 posts, read 9,364,730 times
I went to UofF. I can't say that I ever did get "sick" of Gainesville. I loved the town when I was there, and was sad to leave. The truth was, there isn't much work for UF graduates right out of school. Also, it doesn't take too long to figure out that once all of your college friends move away, Gainesville isn't quite the same. It looses some of its "magic". When you are done with school, you need to leave.

There were always two Gainsesvilles - the one for UF students, and the one for Gainesville locals. Now, I've known several people who were born and raised in Gainesville, and for them, the town has a completely different meaning that it does for UF graduates. Many do stay or come back to live there. They don't miss their college friends because the town was always much different to them than what the 4-year college experience is to many people. It's not about figuring out your life, striving toward a career, frats, sorrorities, parties, dorms, girlfriends, freedom from parents, etc. It's about, family, friends they grew up with since elementary school and highschool, and small town experience.

Every now and then a UF student does stay and make Gainesville his home. I know such a person - he's lived there all his adult life. Was once a professional, but his life dream was to own and live on a farm. This is exactly what he's done, and has raised his children on that farm. That's the life he made for himself. He was lucky enough to know what he wanted out of life and got it, regardless of the path he chose as a professional.

But, most "normal" UF students do get sick of Gainesville, some sooner than others. It's just the next part of growing up.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 4,178 times
If ur wanting a social life and are under70 then Clearwater is not for you. If you want to live in a safe city where murder, rape, robbery, and rude, disrespectful people are not want you want to associate with everyday when your eyes meet the beautiful sunshine and the glories of life, then Jacksonville FLorida is DEFINETLY NOT, I REPEAT, NOT FOR YOU!!!! If your hearts desire is to pack up and move to California, then email me. Beach, Mountains, lush landscapes, opportunity!!!!

Old 01-05-2009, 11:30 AM

268 posts, read 799,640 times
Hi DCM1245, what part Cali you live? I'm a Gainesville Native and agree about the situation that for single folks over 30/no kids; G'ville is not the best place. I'm 42 and fall under the above category.

I am looking to travel more inside Florida and out to California.

My Scheduled Visits Are...
- Tampa (Hyde Park area)
- Miami Beach
- Los Angeles Area
- San Francisco Area

On poster said "Gainesville sucks you in and it's hard to leave". I could not agree more... and I can't explain this phenomenon. If I stayed in Gainseville, I certainly would not meet my life potential as people here lack a sense of urgency and passion for life.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or