U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 04:06 PM

50 posts, read 151,495 times

Advertisements

You could look at ANY place, and find *some* other place that was cheaper in some aspect. Florida might be higher on *some* expenses, but when you look at the total combined day-to-day living costs, it is still cheaper than many other places.

We're currently in a podunk little place in another southern state (and hoping to get back to FL within the next few months) I won't go into details of how we landed here a couple years ago - but suffice it to say, neither of us wanted to leave FL & finally have the chance to get back home.

Our day-to-day costs are MUCH MUCH higher here than they were in FL. Combined total cost of all utilities is at least double here Altogether, our total combined utilities - power/water/garbage/sewage/gas/misc fees here cost us between $400-$950 a month, depending on whether we can open windows or if we have to run AC or heat. Even with recent utility hikes, I don't believe it's THAT high in Florida.

Groceries cost 1.5 to 2 times as much here as they did in FL. Gas prices are higher by a decent bit. Then add an almost-10% sales tax on *everything*, geesh, I still cannot get used to having to pay sales tax on basic *groceries*!!! You don't pay tax on groceries in FL. Add in state tax, and numerous other costs that we have here, that don't exist in FL. It costs us a great deal more to just live day-to-day here than it ever did in FL.

I know utilities have gone up in FL recently - but does your electric bill run $400-450 in the summer, running the AC at 78 degrees? I rather doubt it (unless you live in a HUGE house). How about a $200+ power bill during a month of running NO a/c or heat, and being reasonably careful to turn things off when not in use? (And this is for a smallish home, just at 1500 sq ft) Make it $500-650 for power/gas in the winter if you want to run your heat at 68 degrees. I pay almost as much for *garbage pickup* alone, as I used to pay for combined water/sewage/garbage/misc. in FL. So, yeah, my individual water bill is lower here - but that's about it.

Yep, I certainly used to complain about how "expensive" some things were in Florida - if my power bill exceeded $200-250 in the peak of the summer, I'd be fussing about it. Of course, our "power" bill in FL was an all-encompassing utility bill - it included power/water/sewage/garbage/etc - it was all through Orlando Utilities & one itemized bill covered everything, rather than getting half a dozen bills for separate services. I won't ever complain much again, once I get back there.

Florida might not be the #1 absolute cheapest place, but it is NOT the most expensive place by a LONG shot.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:13 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,170,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretlady4719 View Post
You could look at ANY place, and find *some* other place that was cheaper in some aspect. Florida might be higher on *some* expenses, but when you look at the total combined day-to-day living costs, it is still cheaper than many other places.

We're currently in a podunk little place in another southern state (and hoping to get back to FL within the next few months) I won't go into details of how we landed here a couple years ago - but suffice it to say, neither of us wanted to leave FL & finally have the chance to get back home.

Our day-to-day costs are MUCH MUCH higher here than they were in FL. Combined total cost of all utilities is at least double here Altogether, our total combined utilities - power/water/garbage/sewage/gas/misc fees here cost us between $400-$950 a month, depending on whether we can open windows or if we have to run AC or heat. Even with recent utility hikes, I don't believe it's THAT high in Florida.

Groceries cost 1.5 to 2 times as much here as they did in FL. Gas prices are higher by a decent bit. Then add an almost-10% sales tax on *everything*, geesh, I still cannot get used to having to pay sales tax on basic *groceries*!!! You don't pay tax on groceries in FL. Add in state tax, and numerous other costs that we have here, that don't exist in FL. It costs us a great deal more to just live day-to-day here than it ever did in FL.

I know utilities have gone up in FL recently - but does your electric bill run $400-450 in the summer, running the AC at 78 degrees? I rather doubt it (unless you live in a HUGE house). How about a $200+ power bill during a month of running NO a/c or heat, and being reasonably careful to turn things off when not in use? (And this is for a smallish home, just at 1500 sq ft) Make it $500-650 for power/gas in the winter if you want to run your heat at 68 degrees. I pay almost as much for *garbage pickup* alone, as I used to pay for combined water/sewage/garbage/misc. in FL. So, yeah, my individual water bill is lower here - but that's about it.

Yep, I certainly used to complain about how "expensive" some things were in Florida - if my power bill exceeded $200-250 in the peak of the summer, I'd be fussing about it. Of course, our "power" bill in FL was an all-encompassing utility bill - it included power/water/sewage/garbage/etc - it was all through Orlando Utilities & one itemized bill covered everything, rather than getting half a dozen bills for separate services. I won't ever complain much again, once I get back there.

Florida might not be the #1 absolute cheapest place, but it is NOT the most expensive place by a LONG shot.
I think food is pretty cheap in South Florida. WinDixie has buy get one free every week all through the store. Pretty much every time you buy something you get a coupon for $10.00 off your next bill of $50.00 or more. Thats 20% of your bill.
Here is this weeks Pubkix ad.

Publix Weekly Ad - shopmain

Old 05-17-2009, 04:37 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,979,478 times
Default Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I think food is pretty cheap in South Florida. WinDixie has buy get one free every week all through the store. Pretty much every time you buy something you get a coupon for $10.00 off your next bill of $50.00 or more. Thats 20% of your bill.

I found food to be cheaper on LI. Not to mention I could get just about any fruits or veggies I wanted year round. I have been looking for fresh peaches. I cannot find them in MAY in Florida, but I could get them in DECEMBER in NY. The strawberries in all the supermarkets (Publix and Sweetbay) right now are from CALIFORNIA. On Long Island, in JUNE we would go picking strawberries in the fields ourselves. As my husband has said many times, $3.00 for ONE TOMATO when you live less than 10 miles (Immokalee) where they are grown?

Produce is a rip off in Florida.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:40 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 811,118 times
^
I would question the "freshness" of those peaches as well as the country of origin.

To answer the OP: I'm moving to Florida in 2010 because I have lived in many different parts of the nation and Florida, in my opinion, offers the greatest quality of life when all things are considered. I had a chance to move to FL in 2006. I passed on it. Big mistake.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:41 PM

50 posts, read 151,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post

Oh, I know!! I miss Publix so much!!! (Although Publix is throughout the south, they don't have a store anywhere at all near us) Winn-Dixie was great too, but I probably did the bulk of my shopping at Publix - their BOGO sales were fantastic, esp. if you combined coupons with the sale prices. We'd end up getting a few free/almost-free items practically every week by watching the sale ads & using coupons. LOL - while looking at different areas we might move back to in FL, that's one of the things I check, to see if there's a Publix nearby. (Of course, there almost always in, in FL)

But those register coupons are great at Winn-Dixie too! And they have some good sales. I particularly remember one time that WD did a special triple-coupon sale - my best friend & I went -- we ended up spending a total of $58 between the two of us for 5 carts almost overflowing with stuff. Fun way to shop. I used to enjoy grocery shopping in FL - now I hate it with a passion....

Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,979,478 times
Default California produce

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
^
I would question the "freshness" of those peaches as well as the country of origin.

To answer the OP: I'm moving to Florida in 2010 because I have lived in many different parts of the nation and Florida, in my opinion, offers the greatest quality of life when all things are considered. I had a chance to move to FL in 2006. I passed on it. Big mistake.
which I got all winter in NY, is better and CHEAPER than Florida's, even when it had to be shipped all the way across the country.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:59 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 811,118 times
^Peaches are overrated. Stick with grapefruit.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,806,884 times
You should have your relatives in Long Island fedex you fresh fruit a few times a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
which I got all winter in NY, is better and CHEAPER than Florida's, even when it had to be shipped all the way across the country.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:18 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,170,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I found food to be cheaper on LI. Not to mention I could get just about any fruits or veggies I wanted year round. I have been looking for fresh peaches. I cannot find them in MAY in Florida, but I could get them in DECEMBER in NY. The strawberries in all the supermarkets (Publix and Sweetbay) right now are from CALIFORNIA. On Long Island, in JUNE we would go picking strawberries in the fields ourselves. As my husband has said many times, $3.00 for ONE TOMATO when you live less than 10 miles (Immokalee) where they are grown?

Produce is a rip off in Florida.
As I am reading this I am drinking a Mango, honey, cinnamon and banana with Cranberry juice smoothie. The mangos are from my trees as are the bananas. There used to be some good U-pick-um fields near me but development took care of that. I just finished my Mangos from last year. I am starting today cleaning and freezing my Mango stash. The trees are full. I know what you mean about the produce in the stores. I wish we had a good farmers market around us. My wife and I are vegetarians for maybe the last 35 years, it's not a fad with us. It gets harder and harder to get good produce even at Whole Foods. I wish I could grow more of my own food. I am sorry to say my garden is a mess. I have a 1/2 acre and plenty of room to grow stuff. I just am too busy with business and it gets away from you.

Old 05-17-2009, 05:42 PM

11,501 posts, read 13,439,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
This person moved to Florida from Ohio around 30 years ago probably like most people for the weather and dreams of adventure. Started and raised a family in Florida and kids still live in Florida. The reason for moving back to Ohio at this stage is purely expense related since they liked it here. Yes they are sacrificing lifestyle for cheaper living but it can't be helped. Florida has just gotten totally out of hand in relation to what jobs pay. You can buy a house very cheaply in Ohio and still pay the bills on a Florida style crap job or close to it. You won't get ahead probably but you can keep your home. This is just not possible in Florida. You have to make big money to live here now and afford the cost of living. Hence all the foreclosures and people trying to sell to get out. This person was able to buy a decent house for $30K in Ohio outside of Akron in a good area. Not in Akron ghetto or close to it. You can't even buy a mobile home in Florida for that price. Plus the lot fees are $800 per month even if you could. Also car insurance in Florida is at least double of Ohio. Food is more, taxes are a lot higher, homeowners insurance is out of sight, etc. Right now I can't think of anything that's cheaper. All this and there are nothing but crap jobs in Florida that people are supposed to be grateful just to have. Florida is a very tough place if you don't have an excellent job but the unemployed dreamers still come. Most can't stay once the rose colored glasses fall off though or they try to scam.
30,000 house?

You are joking right?

Any house for 30,000 in Akron Ohio they had better be prepared to fight off rats the size of dogs.

There is nothing but crap jobs in Akron Ohio either.

Running off to Ohio because you cannot make it in Florida tells me they will not make it here either.

Buying a house for 30,000 and living in it tells me something.

I would rather sleep in my car then any 30,000 home infested with rats and probably needs to be torn down.

If you think that same person who must make a very low wage is going to come to Ohio and make any more here they have a lot to learn.

Odd people with skills have no problems finding good paying jobs in Florida.

If a 20 year old girl from Ohio can take 500.00 and a beater car and end up in Orlando and get a job the first couple days she is there and worked 9 months and made over 40,000 in the first 9 months she has been in Florida then why cant someone else? If you cannot live decently on 40k in 9 months then you really need some help. She would have made close to 55k easily has she been there the entire year.

You CANNOT live any cheaper in Ohio then in Florida if you compare rigth down to the bar knuckles like I have. Why not have a better quality of life and live in Florida?

Psouth, if you friends have lived in Florida for 30 years and are coming back to Ohio to live cheaper they must have done something very wrong with their money. Anyone who wants to live in a 30,000 house has to have something serious wrong. Most 30,000 homes are total dumps and bug infested. Sorry but I just cannot see someone who moved to Florida to have a better life and lived in Florida for 30 years coming back to Ohio for a lower quality of life. Just does not make any sense.

Far cheaper for me to live in Florida then where I am at in Ohio, 20-25% cheaper for the same size, style, type home, cheaper foods, cheaper taxes by a long shot and tons more to do and see. I have spent a ton of time comparing many different towns and it is not even close.

Just so people will know Ohio unemployment is matching Floridas right now.
What some do not realize is historically Ohio had far worse unemployment then Florida does.

If you cannot make it in Florida then you either have no skills that pay decent wages or you do not know how to handle money.

Many are doing quite well in Florida so wonder why those who cannot make it are not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or