U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 03:38 PM

17,297 posts, read 25,714,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
of the bills were, but it was PRICELESS to see the look on the salespeople's faces. They did actually sit there and count it all out. This was at a boat show in NYC many year ago. You never know who is some eccentic millionaire.
Indeed. I remember reading a story once about a man who put his brownstone in Manhattan up for sale, and by the end of the day, a woman showed up at the front door with a baby stroller full of enough cash to purchase the home right then and there.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:43 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,977,074 times
Default Something is eating them

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Roses do very well in Florida -- on Fortuniana rootstock, they grow large and lush and are covered with blooms. I'm so jealous of my Florida rosarian friends, who can grow cold-sensitive varieties I can only dream of -- and who are getting second flushes on their rosebushes while ours are still setting up for their first.
stripping them bare. None of my neighbors have flowers in front of their homes either, except for hibiscus by their mailboxes by the street. Actually, I have pots in the back of my house and they do fine.

I have no idea what is doing this.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:50 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,169,082 times
Quote:
stripping them bare. None of my neighbors have flowers in front of their homes either, except for hibiscus by their mailboxes by the street. Actually, I have pots in the back of my house and they do fine.

I have no luck with flowers. My vegies are in enriched raised beds. But for the most part my yard has sand that looks like nothing would grow in it. Inland there is some nice rich farm land but not near the coast.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 AM

14,939 posts, read 10,232,767 times
Discussion = YES!

Disputation = NO!

Old 05-19-2009, 03:21 AM

1,287 posts, read 2,519,738 times
Quote:

The flowers are being eaten? If you're talking about roses, it could be Japanese beetles. That would be the likely culprit here in NJ.

Or are the flowers being snapped off? Then it's most likely human predators. People reach over our front fence and take roses from us all the time. At least one of our neighbors asked when she wanted cuttings, and I was happy to give them to her.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:22 AM

1,287 posts, read 2,519,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I have no luck with flowers. My vegies are in enriched raised beds. But for the most part my yard has sand that looks like nothing would grow in it. Inland there is some nice rich farm land but not near the coast.
That's another reason why we have no intention of moving near the coast.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:03 AM

4,348 posts, read 6,063,747 times
Florida vegetation thrives in sandy soil. Palm trees, hibiscus, ixora, all the beautiful, colorful Florida plantation loves to have sandy feet.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:03 AM

31,375 posts, read 19,644,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
AGAIN, the "cost of living" here is SO MUCH BETTER than it was years ago, when people were moving here in droves. Let us recap AGAIN:

Taxes down
Home prices down (in some places, RIDICULOUSLY down, to 1990s levels)
Rents down
Interest Rates down
Gas prices down
Insurance prices down

What else is there that is so much cheaper elsewhere?

For many retirees, or soon to be retirees, especially, it's a good time to snap up a winter home, for example. For those with in-demand skills who can land professional jobs in Florida, it's a good time to put down roots. If you're a minimum wage type, however, good luck, cause you're going to need it as much here right now as anywhere else.

And by the way, Florida is not the worst when it comes to unemployment. NC, SC are way worse off, and even Georgia, home to the much exhalted "Manahattan of the South," Atlanta, is right on Florida's heels in terms of the unemployment rate. Yet, many on this board see the green grass in Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh, despite what people up there are saying.

In fact, the only places that seem to be doing alright include those states that nobody has historically been attracted to in large numbers, like South Dakota and Montana. Texas is doing well, and still has a construction boom. Let's see how long that's going to last.

Most of this appears to be fiction!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:54 AM

17,297 posts, read 25,714,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Most of this appears to be fiction!
Elaborate. If you can.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,806,046 times
looks like it was a hit and run post by jojan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Elaborate. If you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or