Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 10:51 AM

569 posts, read 1,668,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
The OP does have a valid point. Every once in awhile somone posts on here about moving to Florida( not to retire) and has no job lined up.

They just want to move here, but have no Plan A, never mind a Plan B.

There is guy who recently posted stating he has a job that pays 50K a year in suburban NYC and wants to quit and move here because it is cheaper to live and to get out of the cold.

He has no job lined up and very little in savings.

FL is losing more jobs than any other state right now.

I don't get why anyone would relocate anywhere, without a job unless they have at least a years worth of savings.

There are people that seem to think moving to FL is going to be paradise, the thing is your bills and your troubles follow you.

Now if you are retired, completely different story or if you have a job lined up.

But to move here in this economy and "hope for the best" is foolish.

There are worse things than cold weather, like running out of your savings and no job in sight.

Or getting a low paying job and find out you can't live on what you earn.
Bingo, bango, bongo. This is exactly what I am talking about. Regardless of what people seem to think Florida is not the answer to everyone's prayers. It is just another place to live with the same challenges.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:16 AM

831 posts, read 2,436,537 times
Here is some info I found on Forbes.com

Worst Medium sized Cities for Jobs
1. Toledo, Oh
2. Hicory Morganton, NC
3. Bradenton/Sarasota/Venice, Fl
4. Dayton, Oh
5. Ann Arbor, MI
6. Youngstown, OH
7. Palm Bay, Melbourne, Titusville, Fl
8. Reno, NV
9. Deltona, Daytona, Fl
10. Santa Rosa, CA

Worst Big Cities for Jobs
1. Detroit
2. Providence, RI
3. Cleveland, OH
4. Santa Ana, CA
5. Oakland, CA
6. West Palm, Boca, Boyton, FL
7. Sacramento, CA
8. Warren Troy, MI
9. Tampa, St. Pete, Fl
10. Riverside, CA

Old 05-19-2009, 09:59 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,554,653 times
Tampa is in the top 5 cities where its hardest to get by, it currently has a 10.2% unemployment rate.
U.S.-Cities-Where-It's-Hardest-to-Get-By: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Old 05-20-2009, 08:39 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,798,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
You should have your relatives in Long Island fedex you fresh fruit a few times a month.

I had to laugh when I read this one. This post suggests that a resident of Florida have realatives "fedex" fresh fruit to her.

Wow! Lack of fresh, quality, produce. To me that is a quality of life issue.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:59 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

I had to laugh when I read this one. This post suggests that a resident of Florida have realatives "fedex" fresh fruit to her.

Lol, lack of fresh produce in Florida? Give me a break. There are no less than eight official "green markets" in my county, and plenty of fresh produce, tomatoes, strawberries, peppers, etc. to be had. Oh yeah, and some of us even have fresh bananas, lemons, and produce off of trees in our own backyards.

But anyway, still not understanding your purpose and ever-absent "point"? Living in the Midwest in general and in and of itself would present itself as a "quality of life" issue for some of us down here.

Don't see US on the Minnysohda board B*tchin around though, do ya?

Old 05-20-2009, 09:21 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,398,935 times
Well, that poster claimed that there's no fresh fruit here compared to NY so I was just giving a helpful suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

Old 05-20-2009, 09:33 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
My daughter just sent me a picture of strawberries she took with her cell phone at the supermarket in NY. I am having technical difficulties with pasting the picture but it says: Naturipe Farms LLC, Naples, Fl. 34108

PRODUCT OF MEXICO . PRODUCT DU MEXIQUE

This "farm" in Naples imports their produce from Mexico. Why bother with this even in NY? You can go to the farms on the east end of Long Island and pick your own strawberries in JUNE.

Actually, here in Naples right now the only strawberries are in boxes from CALIFORNIA.

So you can grow ANYTHING YEAR ROUND in Florida? Really? Then why import from MEXICO? So much of our veggies in Naples have stickers on them IMPORTED FROM, bla, bla, bla.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
My daughter just sent me a picture of strawberries she took with her cell phone at the supermarket in NY. I am having technical difficulties with pasting the picture but it says: Naturipe Farms LLC, Naples, Fl. 34108

PRODUCT OF MEXICO . PRODUCT DU MEXIQUE

This "farm" in Naples imports their produce from Mexico. Why bother with this even in NY? You can go to the farms on the east end of Long Island and pick your own strawberries in JUNE.

Actually, here in Naples right now the only strawberries are in boxes from CALIFORNIA.

So you can grow ANYTHING YEAR ROUND in Florida? Really? Then why import from MEXICO? So much of our veggies in Naples have stickers on them IMPORTED FROM, bla, bla, bla.
If you want fresh and/or local you have to go to produce stands, etc. Supermarkets ALL OVER THE COUNTRY import their stuff, it's not like Florida is an exception. And no, we don't grow stuff year round, NO PLACE DOES, not even California. Everyone knows fruits/veggies have a 'season" where they are grown - good grief and bla bla bla

Old 05-20-2009, 09:44 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default The point I was trying to make

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
If you want fresh and/or local you have to go to produce stands, etc. Supermarkets ALL OVER THE COUNTRY import their stuff, it's not like Florida is an exception. And no, we don't grow stuff year round, NO PLACE DOES, not even California. Everyone knows fruits/veggies have a 'season" where they are grown - good grief and bla bla bla
is exactly that. There are seasons for growing things in FLORIDA too. You cannot grow everything year round. Some posters seem to think so.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 AM

569 posts, read 1,668,604 times
Here is the newest data from Forbes on where people are moving to and mainly for jobs and cost of living:

5 cities where Americans are relocating - MSN Real Estate

As you can see Florida is nowhere in site. Another article also states Florida cities and town comprise one-third of the entire list of "Riskiest Places For U.S. Homeowners." In fact, FL and CA make up 75% of the list of 25 places. Here is the article:

Riskiest Places For U.S. Homeowners - Forbes.com

Again I just do not understand with these kinds of numbers for anyone to even considering moving to Florida right now especially without a great job waiting for them. These other cities are attracting people to their areas for jobs and careers. Florida is the same old same old and attracting people mostly for the weather and dreaming of an easy life. Not jobs or careers which lead to healthy populations.

A friend of mine who sells real estate spent 2 days showing houses to this guy who just moved down from IL. He lied about having a good job here in Florida, when he moved, and even his age and just about everything else. It turns out he has no money to live anywhere, no job, his wife threw him out and he figured why not move to Florida for a fresh start in life where it is warm. This guy turned out to be a total flake and a liar hoping to get lucky and not have anyone check his background or credit. Just another dreamer hoping to find gold at the end of the rainbow. I guess if Florida had a healthy and educated job market it would attract a different crowd like the other cities and states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida