U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 AM

569 posts, read 1,492,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In all honesty, I think that many are using the majority of their savings to make the move, so they'll have no way to leave.

About six years ago I knew of a lady and her husband who sold almost everything they owned and moved from the northeast to Florida. (She worked for a company I did business with.) They had their current paychecks in their pocket, no savings, no credit cards, nothing. They spent half of that fixing their old car when it broke down on the way. They got here and had trouble finding jobs because they didn't stop to think that they wouldn't make as much here as they did up north, and were asking for way too much.

Last I knew they were living in their car and wanting to go back "home" but didn't think the car would make it and couldn't afford the gas even if it would.
Honestly in this day and age with the amount of easy information available how can intelligent people still think this way and get duped? It's mind boggling. I can see it with the illegal Haitians and Hispanics since they have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain but not decent Americans.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:45 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,451,304 times
They weren't so intelligent...obviously.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 AM

I figured as much but I was just being nice and giving the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately they are the stereotypical people moving to Florida on a wing and a prayer.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM

915 posts, read 2,277,158 times
I am 21 and just moved to JAX from MD... I sent one resume out to one company and got a reply in 3 months. Another month later and here I am in FL...

I moved out when I was 18 and spent the next 3 years eating ramen noodle soup and driving a beat up car just to barely get by in my crappy 1 bedroom apartment and I felt like I had a pretty solid job working as a software developer for a defense contractor... My apartment was 600 Sq/ft and $1100/month...

I was able to double the size of my apt, add another bedroom and bathroom, move to a nicer complex, and pay hundreds less... I love the area I live in down here and it is infinitely better than where I lived in MD...

I didn't have some great dream about moving to FL like some that have been mentioned. I moved here without ever visiting and I have to say it has been better than anything I could have imagined... I didn't even know a place like this existed...

That is why I moved to FL...

Old 05-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
I am 21 and just moved to JAX from MD... I sent one resume out to one company and got a reply in 3 months. Another month later and here I am in FL...

I moved out when I was 18 and spent the next 3 years eating ramen noodle soup and driving a beat up car just to barely get by in my crappy 1 bedroom apartment and I felt like I had a pretty solid job working as a software developer for a defense contractor... My apartment was 600 Sq/ft and $1100/month...

I was able to double the size of my apt, add another bedroom and bathroom, move to a nicer complex, and pay hundreds less... I love the area I live in down here and it is infinitely better than where I lived in MD...

I didn't have some great dream about moving to FL like some that have been mentioned. I moved here without ever visiting and I have to say it has been better than anything I could have imagined... I didn't even know a place like this existed...

Can you clarify? Did you get a job prior to moving?

Old 05-21-2009, 11:15 AM

2,414 posts, read 4,794,165 times
That's pretty pathetic. What I don't understand is that some of these posters who seem to blame our state because it attracts these kinds of jokers. I'm sure there are just as many people who go to Vegas or LA who flame out too, if not more. As the other poster just said, the information is out there about the wages and jobs, no one has any excuses to say they weren't warned--if the employers can find an endless supply of people to take these low wage jobs, then why shouldn't they pay low wages? I'm not trying to be harsh, but that's the reality of the world we live in, it's supply and demand. I wish people would stop blaming our state because some irresponsible people who made poor decisions by moving here.

Quote:
In all honesty, I think that many are using the majority of their savings to make the move, so they'll have no way to leave.

About six years ago I knew of a lady and her husband who sold almost everything they owned and moved from the northeast to Florida. (She worked for a company I did business with.) They had their current paychecks in their pocket, no savings, no credit cards, nothing. They spent half of that fixing their old car when it broke down on the way. They got here and had trouble finding jobs because they didn't stop to think that they wouldn't make as much here as they did up north, and were asking for way too much.

Last I knew they were living in their car and wanting to go back "home" but didn't think the car would make it and couldn't afford the gas even if it would.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:30 AM

831 posts, read 2,142,838 times
Quote:

I just wanted to give you a big thumbs up... I haven't come across that many people your age who are out there even trying. You aren't living off mom and dad and are experiencing the real world. Good for you and congrats on making it, you should be proud of yourself.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:38 AM

915 posts, read 2,277,158 times
Quote:
Can you clarify? Did you get a job prior to moving?
Yes I had a job prior to moving. To me that is just common sense. I wouldn't consider moving anywhere without a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I just wanted to give you a big thumbs up... I haven't come across that many people your age who are out there even trying. You aren't living off mom and dad and are experiencing the real world. Good for you and congrats on making it, you should be proud of yourself.
Thank you for the kind words. I finally feel like I am getting my moneys worth out of where I live... It was extremely frustrating to me (being into cars) not being able to buy a new car because all of my money was going into my crappy apartment, while everyone else my age was buying new cars because they lived at home with Mommy and Daddy... I haven't been this excited about my life in a long time... Jacksonville is really helping to change things for me...

Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Yes I had a job prior to moving. To me that is just common sense. I wouldn't consider moving anywhere without a job.
Smart man! Welcome. I hope Florida is a wonderful for you as it's been for me!

Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Web and software developers are in great demand even in Florida. A friend of mine is a web developer. They especially love hiring people right out of school and in early 20's. Plus you already have some experience. Good for you. It's nice to hear success stories and people like you moving to Florida rather than the other types who are more notorious. We can use all the intelligence we can get and the ambitious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or