U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM

2,414 posts, read 4,802,218 times

Advertisements

Nobody has been telling people to come here on a wing and a prayer. The problem on this forum is people who do come here without a plan and then blame this state for every problme in their life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
This person did not come to Florida on a wing and a prayer just hoping for a miracle. They did not work their way up from nothing in Florida. They came with SOMETHING. They had a success plan lined up first and executed it to make the transition. This is exactly what THOSE OF US WHO ACTUALLY LIVE IN FLORIDA are all advising people to do first. Those of us actually living in Florida know it is not a place to come with nothing and work your way up as you seem to believe anyone can magically do. The same poster also stated they would not move anywhere without a job which tells you something about their intellect and work ethic. The opposite of the typical Florida dreamers with no careers.

I am really getting tired of posters who DO NOT EVEN LIVE IN FLORIDA selling the state as a Utopia for the unemployed and down-and-out saying anyone can come to Florida and suddenly get rich and be happy overnight. It ain't gonna happen. They should at least live here first and try their luck before doling out misinformation. I do not know of any poster who ACTUALLY LIVES IN FLORIDA who is telling people to come here without a job or career and try to work their way up. Sure it is possible but not recommended in this day and age.

This successful poster hit the nail on the head with the whole issue. They already have a good career, are successful where they came from, found a great job before considering a move to Florida, found a decent place to live, has options if needed, and everything is going well so far. This is what I am talking about!!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:53 PM

239 posts, read 538,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
This person did not come to Florida on a wing and a prayer just hoping for a miracle. They did not work their way up from nothing in Florida. They came with SOMETHING. They had a success plan lined up first and executed it to make the transition. This is exactly what THOSE OF US WHO ACTUALLY LIVE IN FLORIDA are all advising people to do first. Those of us actually living in Florida know it is not a place to come with nothing and work your way up as you seem to believe anyone can magically do. The same poster also stated they would not move anywhere without a job which tells you something about their intellect and work ethic. The opposite of the typical Florida dreamers with no careers.

I am really getting tired of posters who DO NOT EVEN LIVE IN FLORIDA selling the state as a Utopia for the unemployed and down-and-out saying anyone can come to Florida and suddenly get rich and be happy overnight. It ain't gonna happen. They should at least live here first and try their luck before doling out misinformation. I do not know of any poster who ACTUALLY LIVES IN FLORIDA who is telling people to come here without a job or career and try to work their way up. Sure it is possible but not recommended in this day and age.

This successful poster hit the nail on the head with the whole issue. They already have a good career, are successful where they came from, found a great job before considering a move to Florida, found a decent place to live, has options if needed, and everything is going well so far. This is what I am talking about!!
Honestly I haven't seen many posts from people planning to move to Florida without jobs or advising others to do so, but then again, I have only been following a few threads. I certainly believe it happens, but I doubt it's always the case.
As for the posts in this thread advising people to relocate to FL only if they are already well-off, what about those of us who have a modest savings, and who will (no matter how long it takes) have jobs lined up before making the move? Am I to understand that there is no longer a middle class in FL? (I can believe it; it's definitely happening here on Long Island)!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Funny. Who CARES how close you live to the beach? I lived close to the breach on LI (PRIVATE one) and I live close to the beach in Florida. Don't go to EITHER.

Beaches. The be all and end all of life's existence. What superficial people.
Why is it superficial to want to live near the beach? From simple pleasures to extravagant luxuries, if something makes a person happy, I don't find it superficial. People who brag about having such things might come off as superficial to me, in addition to those who judge others for not having them, but one simply wanting to be near that which he or she finds beautiful or pleasurable is, IMO, human nature.
Some people are drawn to the beach, others to the mountains or big cities, and there are those who cannot survive without a dishwasher. To each his own, I say.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:18 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
Honestly I haven't seen many posts from people planning to move to Florida without jobs or advising others to do so, but then again, I have only been following a few threads. I certainly believe it happens, but I doubt it's always the case.
As for the posts in this thread advising people to relocate to FL only if they are already well-off, what about those of us who have a modest savings, and who will (no matter how long it takes) have jobs lined up before making the move? Am I to understand that there is no longer a middle class in FL? (I can believe it; it's definitely happening here on Long Island)!
Not at all. If you've got secure jobs lined up and enough savings to get through a few months or move again if it doens't work out, you'll be fine. There is definitely a middle class in Florida.

Just make sure that you know housing prices and factor in utilities and such before accepting the job. Also beware with property taxes. They are screwy here in Floirda, and depending on teh value of the home and how long the prior residents lived there, what theya re paying and what you'll be paying could be 40)% different. Do NOT trust the Realtor, call the tax assessor for the truth.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not at all. If you've got secure jobs lined up and enough savings to get through a few months or move again if it doens't work out, you'll be fine. There is definitely a middle class in Florida.

Just make sure that you know housing prices and factor in utilities and such before accepting the job. Also beware with property taxes. They are screwy here in Floirda, and depending on teh value of the home and how long the prior residents lived there, what theya re paying and what you'll be paying could be 40)% different. Do NOT trust the Realtor, call the tax assessor for the truth.
Thanks, Annerk. It's a scary move, but I do live in the county with the fourth highest property taxes in the entire country, so I'm hoping FL will be an improvement. I've done some math, but it's hard to tell not knowing where I'll be working. From what I've seen of district teacher payscales (and from what I understand, district sponsered charter schools, which are actually hiring, pay nearly the same) my pay will be comparable -- if not better --factoring in the cost of living. (I'm going to rent for at least 6 mos. first anyway, so I'll have ample time to figure it all out). Keeping my fingers crossed, in any case!

Old 05-21-2009, 02:30 PM

26,590 posts, read 54,571,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
Thanks, Annerk. It's a scary move, but I do live in the county with the fourth highest property taxes in the entire country, so I'm hoping FL will be an improvement. I've done some math, but it's hard to tell not knowing where I'll be working. From what I've seen of district teacher payscales (and from what I understand, district sponsered charter schools, which are actually hiring, pay nearly the same) my pay will be comparable -- if not better --factoring in the cost of living. (I'm going to rent for at least 6 mos. first anyway, so I'll have ample time to figure it all out). Keeping my fingers crossed, in any case!
FYI--Generally speaking the Charter Schools don't offer the benefits that the district schools do. Also the teachers who have been laid off in Florida get first crack at all teaching positions except at private schools, so you're going to be facing some pretty fierce competition for the few teaching jobs that will be open.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Man, this thread is so one sided. As if Florida is the ONLY place with "dreamers" are there no dreamers in NY? In CA? Good lord people, we ALL know Florida is faaaar from a utopia, but it's also faaaaar from HELL. It's a big state, it has PLENTY of problems, but dang sooooo many overexagerrations. I used to live in Florida, wasnt AS bad as people say, i used to live in West Palm. Overexagerrating things about a state is NOT being a REALIST. It's just as bad as making florida look like a Utopia. If you DONT like Florida, it's all good, but people who dont like florida tend to be waaay more vocal then people who do like it. I know YOUNG PEOPLE who are living a LOWER MIDDLE CLASS life in Lauderhill, and LOVE it down there and DONT want to live anywhere else. But does that mean Florida is for EVERYONE, and does that make Florida a Utopia?? Of corse not. It's ALL subjectivity.(if that's a word)

Old 05-21-2009, 02:42 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,966,090 times
Dreamers are TRANSPLANTS, not NATIVES, on ANY state.

Old 05-21-2009, 02:53 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Dreamers are TRANSPLANTS, not NATIVES, on ANY state.
I agree. And that's the problem, if you move somewhere thinking life is gonna be easy, you're gonna be shocked. That goes for anywhere, and not just florida. I know so many people who moved to the NORTH from florida, and hated it. And I know plenty of people who moved to florida from the NORTH and hated it. All these transplants and there subjectivity. I agree with you.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:09 PM

1,287 posts, read 2,517,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
The only negatives I have run into down here are not having slurpees from 7-11 and the palmetto bugs. I don't know if I can ever adjust to a giant flying roach....
How do they compare in size to cicadas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or