Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 08:39 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Sorry, it's still not worth $80/hour straight. Many DOCTORS do not make an hourly equivalent to that salary, and they have people's LIVES in their hands.

As I have shown as well, the average salary for a Crane operator in the US is $20/hour. NOT inflated California unionized wages (As if CA is a model for fiscal responsibility and health!)
So you know what people earn and/or should earn for various professions nationwide also?

MDs make more than $80/hr even if they work more than 40 hrs/wk. I assure you. Unless we are talking about the wages/salaries in Florida.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
In response, I give you New York City, Camden and Newark, NJ -- as well as Detroit. Low crime rates in cold states? Not hardly.
To put an end to the question of state crime rate rankings.

CRIME RATES

Rank
State
Violent Crime Rate

District Of Columbia
1,508. 4

South Carolina
765. 5

Tennessee
760. 2

Nevada
741. 6

Florida
712. 0

Louisiana
697. 8

Can view rankings of all states on the provided link.

Old 05-25-2009, 08:48 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,379,501 times
Quote:
There's also a correlation between "Summer months" and "school being out" that people tend to forget.

Most home burglaries happen between 3 and 5 PM, they say, which is just the time between school getting out and parents getting home.

If you study criminology, you will note that there is a "bell curve" of crime to temperature correlation. Too cold, less crime, too hot, less crime. In between there's a magic temperature that represents the peak of crime.
Very true, last summer my home was almost broken into at 1:15 am it was quite scary...here there wasn't much correlation however as to when they were trying to break into your home...

Old 05-25-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Why don't you move out of Orlando? Everyone in Florida knows it's hotter in the center of the state, and you don't get the benefit of the breeze. Days over 90 near the coast are actually rare, even in the summer.

Orlando is actually an a-typical climate for Florida, not the norm.
Today's weather report for the east coast of Florida was something like" a high of 84 degrees, dewpoint of 71 , and a heat index of 104 degrees!

I guess if it did hit 90 degrees, with a dewpoint in the 70s it would be beyond oppressive!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:59 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
So you know what people earn and/or should earn for various professions nationwide also?

MDs make more than $80/hr even if they work more than 40 hrs/wk. I assure you. Unless we are talking about the wages/salaries in Florida.
Many heavy equipment operators in the Northeast and other progressive areas easily make $80 per hour plus. But not in Florida since they make much much less here. Even your ordinary auto mechanic makes at least $50 per hour on the very low end. Even moonlighters charge at least this much $. Plumbers, electricians, appliance repair, roofers, etc. all make at least this as well. MDs can make $80 on just a 5-minute visit sometimes as we all can probably attest to.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:21 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Tourism is not something that is easily outsourced, nor reproduced.

Ummm.... because there's a direct correlation/causation with the economy as a whole in the United States?

You are obviously much older than me. I would think you would have better knowledge of the history of Florida. Florida has gone boom and bust for most of its history. How do we know what the future is going to be? By looking at the past. Tourism is not a commodity like steel or oil.

It's not going to disappear anymore than tourism is going to disappear from places like NYC or Hawaii. So long as there are Americans, there will be Americans who want to vacation in Florida.

What, exactly, are you basing YOUR "predictions" on? You don't make macro and long term predictions based on two or one year trends.

Awesome insight and post.

I agree, tourism will come back to life long before real good paying jobs do.
There will always be people with money and they will be spending it on vacation just like they always have.
I know many steel workers and one happens to be my father who worked and a factory his entire life, those jobs are gone and are not coming back ever, but tourism will be back as soon as the economy ever rebounds.

Just to share, I own a travel website and for some reason this month of May I have done a ton of business for hotels, car rentals and flights to vacations spots. My commissions were outrageous because they booked for 7-10 days, normally they have been 3-5 days. From Florida to the Carolinas, people with money will always be spending it. I watch my customers closely so I can find commission affiliates to match their likes and dislikes.

No matter what people think or feel, Florida just seems to always be a place where someone with little to no money can move to and always make it. You just do not hear that about other states like you do Florida.

I always post about the 21 year old moving to Florida now I can share a new one.

Couple in their early 20's with a 2 year old packed up and left Columbus, Ohio with 1,000 bucks and a 1998 Caravan. With no town in the plans they ended up in Tarpon Springs Florida of all places. First night in Tarpon he asked the hotel clerk if they knew of any jobs. The clerk tells them you wont find any jobs here. Morning comes and they check out and they ask the same question. The clerk respond by telling him if you can hang drywall, run wire, paint or lay carpet she knows someone who needs help.

To make it short and sweet, based on him working with a contractor here for a couple summers and having some experience, he is now working for 14.00 per hour and worked 65 hours last week. Not too damn bad for not having any jobs in Florida.

I think some people want to be paid to do nothing.

How many people probably turned down this jobs because it is actually work.

They are now looking for a house to rent in Tarpon Springs. Anyone who has any connections please PM me. Young couple, very clean and nice, well mannered and will be perfect renters. Very responsible for their age.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:23 PM

1,558 posts, read 4,784,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Nevermind
?, sure ignore the problem and it will go away.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:25 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
Many heavy equipment operators in the Northeast and other progressive areas easily make $80 per hour plus. But not in Florida since they make much much less here. Even your ordinary auto mechanic makes at least $50 per hour on the very low end. Even moonlighters charge at least this much $. Plumbers, electricians, appliance repair, roofers, etc. all make at least this as well. MDs can make $80 on just a 5-minute visit sometimes as we all can probably attest to.

Yea, they only make 40.00 per hour in Florida and work year around.

In the NE they might make your 80.00 per hour but only worked 6 months out of the year.

Do not get license plumbers and electricians mixed up with auto mechanics, appliance repair and roofers, not even the same skill set. I do not know any of the last 3 who make 20 per hour if they can get that.

Most electricians in central Ohio will be lucky to get 20 per hour.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:13 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Most electricians in central Ohio will be lucky to get 20 per hour.
Again, Ohio is NOT the Northeast.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:36 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
The Un-Employment Rate has gotten higher in Tennessee (9.9%) then it is in Florida (9.5%) however, Nashville/Davidson still has a better rate at (7.9%) then Hillsborough (9.9%), Orange (9.9%), and Duval (9.7%). The only city/county doing better at this point is Miami-Dade at (7.8%)

It's getting pretty rough here. I feel sorry for all the people relocating here thinking there are tons of jobs because there's not.

Our crime rate has gone through the roof the past couple of years too, Nashville went from around 20th to 8th and now to 6th deadliest city in the U.S.

Always wanted to known for something other then country music, Guess we got it..

Wouldn't mind heading back to Florida at this point. Chances for finding work seem to be about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida