Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2009, 01:10 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times

Advertisements

Right, it's an insurance thing--for example, I was told that if it's a shingle roof it should be less than 15 years old (that's off the top of my head, might be 10 or 20 depending on the insurance company. I have it all written down somewhere).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
We were told by our realtor that the state would give us tax credits to meet the 2002 hurricane code. Our's was built in 2001, and fortunately, when we had it inspected, we found that it was built to 2002 codes. You may find that even with older homes they probably have been updated. Wouldn't this be an insurance issue anyway? If these homes weren't updated, couldn't the insurance company refuse to cover them?

Old 05-17-2009, 02:30 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
This person moved to Florida from Ohio around 30 years ago probably like most people for the weather and dreams of adventure. Started and raised a family in Florida and kids still live in Florida. The reason for moving back to Ohio at this stage is purely expense related since they liked it here. Yes they are sacrificing lifestyle for cheaper living but it can't be helped. Florida has just gotten totally out of hand in relation to what jobs pay. You can buy a house very cheaply in Ohio and still pay the bills on a Florida style crap job or close to it. You won't get ahead probably but you can keep your home. This is just not possible in Florida. You have to make big money to live here now and afford the cost of living. Hence all the foreclosures and people trying to sell to get out. This person was able to buy a decent house for $30K in Ohio outside of Akron in a good area. Not in Akron ghetto or close to it. You can't even buy a mobile home in Florida for that price. Plus the lot fees are $800 per month even if you could. Also car insurance in Florida is at least double of Ohio. Food is more, taxes are a lot higher, homeowners insurance is out of sight, etc. Right now I can't think of anything that's cheaper. All this and there are nothing but crap jobs in Florida that people are supposed to be grateful just to have. Florida is a very tough place if you don't have an excellent job but the unemployed dreamers still come. Most can't stay once the rose colored glasses fall off though or they try to scam.
I don't want to disagree with you but I don't really know what you are talking about. It is actually pretty cheap to live here. There is hardly a city in Florida if you look it up that is only about the same or less then the national average cost of living. Of course that doesn't matter if you only make minimum wage. You are going to starve no matter where you live.

I have to come back and make a correction in that in the last 4 years Florida's cost of living has gone up 5% making it a little more then the national average but no deal breaker by any means. Ohio by the way has gone down over the last four years by 15% making it only 79% of the national average. It is in fact one of the cheaper states. Then of course you have Hawaii that is 251% the national average. Florida in the grand picture and depending on the city you select is still a bargain compared to many other states. I think it is the individual life style one chooses that makes the biggest impact. My cost is very low, others may spend more then me.

Last edited by mango23; 05-17-2009 at 02:47 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,654,155 times
Default I will give you just one example of NOT cheaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I don't want to disagree with you but I don't really know what you are talking about. It is actually pretty cheap to live here. There is hardly a city in Florida if you look it up that is only about the same or less then the national average cost of living. Of course that doesn't matter if you only make minimum wage. You are going to starve no matter where you live.
My water bill averages about $125/month. It is just myself and my husband. We don't own a pool.

When I lived in NY, my water bill averaged about $75 every THREE MONTHS. I had two daughters living with me then taking very LONG showers (sometimes twice a day), and washing endless clothes. No pool there either.

The cost of water is VERY EXPENSIVE in Florida.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:42 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you, mango - it is pretty darn cheap to live here these days and that includes right here in Sarasota - a town I once thought was very expensive to live. The buys on real estate are unbelievable right now. But as to the poster you are quoting, it's hard to take that person seriously when just about the only adjective they have to use to describe something is the word "crap."

Old 05-17-2009, 02:48 PM

They "nickle and dime" you to death here. When you start adding up all those nickles and dimes, if you aren't looking through your rose colored glasses, you will see it is not as CHEAP as they try to tell you it is.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:52 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
My water bill averages about $125/month. It is just myself and my husband. We don't own a pool.

When I lived in NY, my water bill averaged about $75 every THREE MONTHS. I had two daughters living with me then taking very LONG showers (sometimes twice a day), and washing endless clothes. No pool there either.

Water is very cheap. If you look at your bill you will probably see sewer charges as well as garbage and other fees you have no ides what they are. Mine water bill is also about $110.00 but that is for three units. It is not your use of water but the fixed costs on the bill. It would not matter if you used no water the bill will still be quite a bit.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:56 PM

Default Sure

Quote:
Water is very cheap. If you look at your bill you will probably see sewer charges as well as garbage and other fees you have no ides what they are. Mine water bill is also about $110.00 but that is for three units. It is not your use of water but the fixed costs on the bill. It would not matter if you used no water the bill will still be quite a bit.
but I also know that when I got a bill from the empty side of my townhouse in NY, that it was only $35 for NO water being used for THREE MONTHS. That was the MINIMUM charge there.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:31 PM

But In NY you'd have to pay a state income tax, so here you still come out ahead even if your water bill is high.

Quote:

Old 05-17-2009, 03:56 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
There is a lot more to it than just taxes. We took a 20k pay cut when we moved to FL. Since we don't pay state tax, don't pay health insurance, and get double the 401k employer contribution we take home the same amount in FL that we did in NC.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:58 PM

I was referring to her water bill issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
There is a lot more to it than just taxes. We took a 20k pay cut when we moved to FL. Since we don't pay state tax, don't pay health insurance, and get double the 401k employer contribution we take home the same amount in FL that we did in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida