Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 06:14 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,880,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
but I also know that when I got a bill from the empty side of my townhouse in NY, that it was only $35 for NO water being used for THREE MONTHS. That was the MINIMUM charge there.
That's cheap. You should live in Bayonne, NJ -- the minimum bill here is $80 for three months of no usage.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
which I got all winter in NY, is better and CHEAPER than Florida's, even when it had to be shipped all the way across the country.
My solution to this -- grow your own. We have a peach tree in our back yard which gives the best peaches we've ever tasted -- bar none.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:20 AM

Quote:

There are some things that money cannot buy.
Yes - peace of mine, happiness, contentment.

My husband and I are 'making it' in New Jersey -- but we're very unhappy, for many reasons. We're moving to Florida to enjoy our lives.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
This poster wont grow her own tomato's, it to hot outside to dig a little hole and plant it.
The very idea of lengthening the growing season from what we now have here in NJ makes both of us salivate. Heat and humidity? Been there, done that, right here in NJ -- and we don't have a pool here to let us cool off, either. So what if it lasts longer than it does here? The winter here is a lot longer, and that's intolerable to people who hate the cold, and for whom the cold is actually physically painful due to back problems.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:26 AM

Quote:
flowers other than the STATE FLOWER Hibiscus. Those things are so sweet smelling they make me want to puke.
Roses do very well in Florida -- on Fortuniana rootstock, they grow large and lush and are covered with blooms. I'm so jealous of my Florida rosarian friends, who can grow cold-sensitive varieties I can only dream of -- and who are getting second flushes on their rosebushes while ours are still setting up for their first.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,549,368 times
I dont understand why so many people--until recently--are moving to Florida. The housing market is in the crapper. Hurricanes destroy your home every year. Its crime ridden. Too many old people sucking off the system. Too few good jobs for the population. And its OVERCROWDED. Good grief, go to North Carolina, Texas or Georgia.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,379,309 times
One word of caution: if you have a really big yard here it could be difficult to maintain, because of the insects (fire ants) and because it stays so dry during the winter here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Roses do very well in Florida -- on Fortuniana rootstock, they grow large and lush and are covered with blooms. I'm so jealous of my Florida rosarian friends, who can grow cold-sensitive varieties I can only dream of -- and who are getting second flushes on their rosebushes while ours are still setting up for their first.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:51 AM

13,256 posts, read 22,657,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
I really love lantana. It's spread from yards and grows wild in a lot of places around here.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I dont understand why so many people--until recently--are moving to Florida. The housing market is in the crapper.

All the better to buy.

Hurricanes destroy your home every year.

Not always.
My in-laws have had no problems at all.

Its crime ridden.

Everywhere?

Too many old people sucking off the system.

Those 'old people', as you refer to them, paid their dues for decades.

Too few good jobs for the population.

Not for people who don't need to work -- i.e., people who've paid their dues for decades.

And its OVERCROWDED.

Again, I ask -- everywhere?

Good grief, go to North Carolina, Texas or Georgia.
Give me good reasons why.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
One word of caution: if you have a really big yard here it could be difficult to maintain, because of the insects (fire ants) and because it stays so dry during the winter here.
How big is big? We're from northern NJ -- a 50 x 100 foot lot is considered big here.

And are the fire ants all over the state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida