Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2009, 08:57 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,279,224 times

Advertisements

Saw this today in the paper. People (not the usual suspects on this board) were asked by the Palm Beach Post to describe why they like living here (if you want to learn why people don't like living here, simply watch the miserable louts post comments under any story remotely negative about the area).

For a dose of positiveness, hundreds of people entered the contest, and these are some of the stories chosen for highlighting:

My Personal Paradise contest - PalmBeachPost.com

Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 AM

158 posts, read 156,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
"New Hampshire once again tops the Most Livable State rankings. This is the fifth consecutive year that the Granite State has earned this honor. New Hampshire excels in a number of important quality of life measures. The state boasts low crime, low poverty, high income levels, and a well educated population. Trailing New Hampshire at the top of the rankings list
were Utah, Wyoming, Minnesota, and Iowa."

One thing they all have in common -- cold winters. No thanks. I've had enough of that and want to enjoy myself in warmth.
I like warmth too (native Floridian) but I also like change of seasons and some cold snaps. Warm weather isnt everything, and too often people move to FL for that reason alone.

If you look at those states, they are cold, but offer low crime, high income level, better quality of life. Look at states where it's warm and are "hot-spots" where people are drawn to for warm weather... places like FL, NM, Arizona... all have high crime rates, bad schools, etc.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:36 AM

158 posts, read 156,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinia View Post
Without reading thru all the other replies - I will say "because they want to." I know that if I had an opportunity to move there I probably would. (Meaning, both of us having jobs lined up, our house here sold and somewhere lined up to move into.) Mostly it's for the warmer temps but even more so I would like to be near the beaches, even 100 miles away would qualify as "near" for me! I have lived in Iowa my whole life and have seen plenty of corn and soy bean fields!
See what I mean.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:45 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,020,209 times
[quote=KathyA11;8970837]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
There are many other factors that are important to families and singles looking to relocate to any state. Some of these factors are good wages, job opportunities, cultural amenities, 4 seasons, and public transportation options. This is why you are seeing a decline of people moving to Florida from states that offer these amenities. Jobs and wages are more important than weather in this economy./quote]

And if you don't need any of the above? My husband is retired; I'm retiring at the end of next month. Jobs are a non-starter for us. Cultural amenities? I can order books from Barnes and Noble anywhere in the US. Public transportation? That's lacking in a good part of the country, not just in Florida.
On the contrary, you will need all of the above. When your neighbors and other members of your community suffer through the lack of job opportunities, poor schools, poor wages, lousy cultural amenities, and/or missing public transportation, your entire community will pay the costs. Desperate times will create desperate people and denigrated communities are not far behind. Personally, I would have great guilt driving from my gated community in my luxury car past those who have little hope and less opportunity. Sorry, but you are completely wrong.... Florida deserves better than those that do not wish to make it a better place for all.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:00 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,378,719 times
The recession is going to affect almost everywhere, not just one state. If things get as bad as you say you'll need a gated community up in the rust belt too.

[quote=Retiredcoach;8971844]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post

On the contrary, you will need all of the above. When your neighbors and other members of your community suffer through the lack of job opportunities, poor schools, poor wages, lousy cultural amenities, and/or missing public transportation, your entire community will pay the costs. Desperate times will create desperate people and denigrated communities are not far behind. Personally, I would have great guilt driving from my gated community in my luxury car past those who have little hope and less opportunity. Sorry, but you are completely wrong.... Florida deserves better than those that do not wish to make it a better place for all.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:00 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,661,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
AGAIN, the "cost of living" here is SO MUCH BETTER than it was years ago, when people were moving here in droves. Let us recap AGAIN:

Taxes down
Home prices down (in some places, RIDICULOUSLY down, to 1990s levels)
Rents down
Interest Rates down
Gas prices down
Insurance prices down

What else is there that is so much cheaper elsewhere?
Your home owners insurance is going up.

Quote:
The Florida Legislature passed sweeping legislation this spring to allow home and condominium insurers to boost statewide rates by up to 10 percent. The measure aims to reduce financial risks for Floridians if a major hurricane hits.
Home insurance prices likely to rise by 10 percent : State News : TCPalm

Old 05-25-2009, 11:10 AM

569 posts, read 1,661,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
See what I mean.
Bingo, bango, bongo!!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:11 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Octagon View Post
I like warmth too (native Floridian) but I also like change of seasons and some cold snaps. Warm weather isnt everything, and too often people move to FL for that reason alone.

If you look at those states, they are cold, but offer low crime, high income level, better quality of life. Look at states where it's warm and are "hot-spots" where people are drawn to for warm weather... places like FL, NM, Arizona... all have high crime rates, bad schools, etc.
So all places that are cold have low crime and high income level and hot areas have high crime and bad schools.

Guess I will have to move to Detroit.

Only problem is the crime rate would probably be 10 times as high as where I am now and the schools 10 times worse.

Your statements do not even hold true for cities let alone a whole state.

Old 05-25-2009, 11:15 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,661,056 times
Things are about to get much worse in Florida and your governor knows it. Crist is salvaging his political career by NOT being the governor when it hits the fan!

Quote:
Republican Party of Florida Chairman Jim Greer says he believes Crist has "concluded that the problems and issues that Floridians are facing _ high unemployment and the economy _ can't be solved in Tallahassee, they need to be solved in Washington, and I believe that's what he's going to do."
Charlie Crist Senate Run To Be Announced: Officials

Last edited by jojajn; 05-25-2009 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-25-2009, 11:18 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
My homeowners insurance went down 66% over the last 2 years.

If it went up 10% I would still be at least 60% below what I was 2 years ago.

I was paying $700 7 years ago and am paying $1015 now for a policy twice the size.

It jumped up for a couple of years but has come down lower than what it was 8 years ago, dollar for dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida