Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 AM

569 posts, read 1,668,698 times

Advertisements

When you read thru a lot of the posts on City-Data and elsewhere there are still a lot of people either moving or dreaming of moving to Florida even though Florida is actually losing population (when you take out the illegals flooding in). With all the problems Florida is having right now from foreclosures to high cost of living I cannot understand people moving to Florida without jobs and hoping to still find the Promised Land or something. Still hoping to find a place where you can live comfortably on minimum wage. Is the weather that important to people? Are those of us living in Florida missing something that others see? Are the nearly 1 million unemployed people in Florida doing something wrong? I can understand and see why retirees and rich people still want to move to Florida since they can have a good life regardless of economic factors but what about the young people who just pack up a van and move to Florida without jobs? After all this is not Hollywood, CA with big acting dreams and such. Florida is not all negative but what gives?

Last edited by psouth; 05-15-2009 at 11:39 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 11:34 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
When you read thru a lot of the posts on City-Data and elsewhere there are still a lot of people either moving or dreaming of moving to Florida even though Florida is actually losing population (when you take out the illegals flooding in). With all the problems Florida is having right now from foreclosures to high cost of living I cannot understand people moving to Florida without jobs and hoping to still find the Promised Land or something. Still hoping to find a place where you can live comfortably on minimum wage. Is the weather that important to people? Are those of us living in Florida missing something that others see? Are the nearly 1 million unemployed people in Florida doing something wrong? What gives?
I don't believe Florida is losing population. As far as that other stuff, not everybody is broke. Weather is still great and it is a great place to retire. Play golf, fish, boat year round. Real-estate is reasonable, no income tax, Cost of living is not all that bad compared to other states. You can't use the minimum wage worker as a bench mark, they struggle no matter where they live. Florida has a lot to offer, I don't see what the mystery is.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:35 AM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times
Quote:
When you read thru a lot of the posts on City-Data and elsewhere there are still a lot of people either moving or dreaming of moving to Florida even though Florida is actually losing population (when you take out the illegals flooding in). With all the problems Florida is having right now from foreclosures to high cost of living I cannot understand people moving to Florida without jobs and hoping to still find the Promised Land or something. Still hoping to find a place where you can live comfortably on minimum wage. Is the weather that important to people? Are those of us living in Florida missing something that others see? Are the nearly 1 million unemployed people in Florida doing something wrong? What gives?
I think the illegal flow has reversed dramatically of late. Many from the northeast and midwest dream of warm sunny weather, great beaches, endless days of golf and boating and a laid back lifestyle. Not all need a great paying job to make the change and many cashing in their chips from early retirement packages during this corporate downsizing. The lifestyle can be found in much of this state again especially with the housing crash.. Houses are being snapped up in Cape Coral at mid 1990's prices biggest percentage drop in the country. Now SE Florida is a totally different dynamic depending mostly on immigrants and it's unique position for corporate bilingual offices catering to points south as well as big northeastern money that can't think of being anywhere else.

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 05-15-2009 at 12:00 PM..

Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
If you've spent any amount of time in Michigan lately, Florida still looks pretty good from an economic standpoint compared to most of that state.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:44 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:

AGAIN, the "cost of living" here is SO MUCH BETTER than it was years ago, when people were moving here in droves. Let us recap AGAIN:

Taxes down
Home prices down (in some places, RIDICULOUSLY down, to 1990s levels)
Rents down
Interest Rates down
Gas prices down
Insurance prices down

What else is there that is so much cheaper elsewhere?

For many retirees, or soon to be retirees, especially, it's a good time to snap up a winter home, for example. For those with in-demand skills who can land professional jobs in Florida, it's a good time to put down roots. If you're a minimum wage type, however, good luck, cause you're going to need it as much here right now as anywhere else.

And by the way, Florida is not the worst when it comes to unemployment. NC, SC are way worse off, and even Georgia, home to the much exhalted "Manahattan of the South," Atlanta, is right on Florida's heels in terms of the unemployment rate. Yet, many on this board see the green grass in Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh, despite what people up there are saying.

In fact, the only places that seem to be doing alright include those states that nobody has historically been attracted to in large numbers, like South Dakota and Montana. Texas is doing well, and still has a construction boom. Let's see how long that's going to last.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:48 PM

158 posts, read 158,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
I think the illegal flow has reversed dramatically of late. Many from the northeast and midwest dream of warm sunny weather, great beaches, endless days of golf and boating and a laid back lifestyle. Not all need a great paying job to make the change and many cashing in their chips from early retirement packages during this corporate downsizing. The lifestyle can be found in much of this state again especially with the housing crash.. Houses are being snapped up in Cape Coral at mid 1990's prices biggest percentage drop in the country. Now SE Florida is a totally different dynamic depending mostly on immigrants and it's unique position for corporate bilingual offices catering to points south as well as big northeastern money that can't think of being anywhere else.
Laid-back lifestyle? Where is that? In FL, it's all about running in a hurry to go nowhere, for the most part any way. When people from the busy NorthEast move to FL over years and years, it turns into that place.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:49 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
Quote:
When you read thru a lot of the posts on City-Data and elsewhere there are still a lot of people either moving or dreaming of moving to Florida even though Florida is actually losing population (when you take out the illegals flooding in). With all the problems Florida is having right now from foreclosures to high cost of living I cannot understand people moving to Florida without jobs and hoping to still find the Promised Land or something. Still hoping to find a place where you can live comfortably on minimum wage. Is the weather that important to people? Are those of us living in Florida missing something that others see? Are the nearly 1 million unemployed people in Florida doing something wrong? I can understand and see why retirees and rich people still want to move to Florida since they can have a good life regardless of economic factors but what about the young people who just pack up a van and move to Florida without jobs? After all this is not Hollywood, CA with big acting dreams and such. Florida is not all negative but what gives?
I think youll find the attraction behind Florida to be a welcomed change for Northerners who are retiring ; that is my situation and why i moved to the Panhandle. The economic situation here was to my benefit because i bought a fairly nice house on an acre in the woods for dirt cheap compared to Illinois . Could afford to pay cash for it. Ill be saving over $3500 per year on property taxes compared to Illinois as well. While im not relishing the extreme heat/humidity thats around the corner...having 7 + months of nice weather without snow shoveling , getting stuck in ice storms, and being stuck inside due to -10 f. outdoor temps....is a real benefit . Its also great being able to drive my classic car year round as well. I find the people are much more friendly down south and the pace of life is slower which i like. So....I would suspect that countless others like Florida for these reasons too. Its pretty ideal for the retiree who has enough money to live on ; perhaps not so great if one is still part of the working class .

Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
AGAIN, the "cost of living" here is SO MUCH BETTER than it was years ago, when people were moving here in droves. Let us recap AGAIN:

Taxes down
Home prices down (in some places, RIDICULOUSLY down, to 1990s levels)
Rents down
Interest Rates down
Gas prices down
Insurance prices down

What else is there that is so much cheaper elsewhere?

For many retirees, or soon to be retirees, especially, it's a good time to snap up a winter home, for example. For those with in-demand skills who can land professional jobs in Florida, it's a good time to put down roots. If you're a minimum wage type, however, good luck, cause you're going to need it as much here right now as anywhere else.

And by the way, Florida is not the worst when it comes to unemployment. NC, SC are way worse off, and even Georgia, home to the much exhalted "Manahattan of the South," Atlanta, is right on Florida's heels in terms of the unemployment rate. Yet, many on this board see the green grass in Charlotte, Greensboro, Raleigh, despite what people up there are saying.

In fact, the only places that seem to be doing alright include those states that nobody has historically been attracted to in large numbers, like South Dakota and Montana. Texas is doing well, and still has a construction boom. Let's see how long that's going to last.
But the people up there arent coming to FL either. Certainly not for jobs anyway, and the difference between FL and those states are like 1 - 1.5%, so it's not a huge deal, imo.

Someone in Charlotte or Atlanta probably is going to look for work in their city, there not coming to FL, 9 out of 10 times anyway. But people in FL are looking up there, maybe the unemployment rate is 1% higher there or whatever, but a lot of the common factors behind Floridians moving up there are better quality of life, etc.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 PM

1,310 posts, read 3,050,611 times
'[quote=Doctor Octagon;8826556]Laid-back lifestyle? Where is that (in florida) ?'

Its in northern florida , particularly the Panhandle . Chicago-land was a 9 on the Stress Scale .... Panhandle is about a 3 as far as im concerned. In fact, i have to get used to people I dont know having a conversation with me ; theres something very nice about that.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVlover View Post
I think youll find the attraction behind Florida to be a welcomed change for Northerners who are retiring ; that is my situation and why i moved to the Panhandle. The economic situation here was to my benefit because i bought a fairly nice house on an acre in the woods for dirt cheap compared to Illinois . Could afford to pay cash for it. Ill be saving over $3500 per year on property taxes compared to Illinois as well. While im not relishing the extreme heat/humidity thats around the corner...having 7 + months of nice weather without snow shoveling , getting stuck in ice storms, and being stuck inside due to -10 f. outdoor temps....is a real benefit . Its also great being able to drive my classic car year round as well. I find the people are much more friendly down south and the pace of life is slower which i like. So....I would suspect that countless others like Florida for these reasons too. Its pretty ideal for the retiree who has enough money to live on ; perhaps not so great if one is still part of the working class .
RVLover, glad to hear your happy. The only thing is, people coming here for simply chepaer housing and not shoveling snow are at times, disappointed in their choice to relocate to FL. But you chose the panhandle, and in that case, I see why you moved to FL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida