Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:58 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
It doesn't rain in Florida. You go months and months without a single drop, and then it POURS.
It's been pouring all afternoon. We need the rain but after the last week of this I've had enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 03:11 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
I thought you moved to Florida. Now I'm really confused.
Yes, you are. Go back and read my posts again. I said I was going to retire at the end of next month, and we would be moving to Florida. Future tense in both cases.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:16 PM

569 posts, read 1,669,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
Yes, you are. Go back and read my posts again. I said I was going to retire at the end of next month, and we would be moving to Florida. Future tense in both cases.
Gotcha. From your posts I thought you lived in Florida already. Alrighty then.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:02 PM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msyv View Post
Ready to leave Colorado...Not sure what's the best city to live in....
Stay on topic.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 AM

924 posts, read 2,603,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psouth View Post
During the housing boom Florida overnight became one of the most expensive states to live in mostly due to housing costs. Things have gone down quite a bit since then but it is by no means cheap especially considering the lower salaries in Florida. Palm Beach County was the most expensive place to buy a home and live in Florida and it probably still is. All of SE Florida had prices out of sight for quite a while. Miami practically turned into fantasyland. It was ridiculous. Thankfully things are coming back to reality.

To answer your questions, N. Florida and other parts of Florida did not see a boom at all or it was on a much lower scale. Jacksonville and N. Florida is and always was much cheaper than S. Florida. Maryland is very expensive being close to D.C. and the Northeast and all. Jacksonville cannot compete with that and is much cheaper. I have friends just outside of D.C. and in the Baltimore suburbs who complain about the high cost of living all the time also. The Inner Harbor and aquarium are nice places to visit in Baltimore though. Don't get me started on the crime there though. I was afraid to get out of my cab at times. But I would say Jacksonville is one of the cheaper areas of Florida and much much cheaper than S. Florida. That is why you are seeing such a difference. Jacksonville is more of a working class kind of town as opposed to the rich fantasyland atmosphere of S. Florida.
Thanks for responding psouth. I lived right outside of DC where a 1 bedroom apartment is $1500-1800/month and I also lived 2 hours away from DC in Southern MD where a 1 bedroom was $900-1200/month. Is that on par with southern FL? What would a 1 bedroom apartment go for in Miami?

I don't blame you for being scared in Baltimore, about 80% of Bmore is rough and about 90% of DC is rough. In MD, for the most part city = ghetto... Is it the same way down here? From growing up in the city I have yet to see anything in JAX that compares to the ghetto in DC...

Not to get too off topic but man, what is up with the drivers down here? Since when is using a turn signal optional? Common courtesies like signaling, safe following distance, letting someone in are all completely absent here... Then people act like they have never gotten the finger before... Sorry I'm still working on getting that DC/Metro angst out of my system...

Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM

Location: I will be escaping Suck City and landing in Tampa in December
346 posts, read 910,629 times
This is a completely useless thread. Maybe threads like this one, if they will inevitably be taken over by the doom-n-gloom crowd should be deleted?

It's so fascinating to click on a thread and learn absolutely nothing.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 5,670 times
how is winter park to live?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:44 PM

23 posts, read 94,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matchpoint View Post
This is a completely useless thread. Maybe threads like this one, if they will inevitably be taken over by the doom-n-gloom crowd should be deleted?

It's so fascinating to click on a thread and learn absolutely nothing.
I realized the OP never had another reply, so I didn't bother reading the thing.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:40 AM

288 posts, read 543,094 times
To answer the posters question, i picked central florida.
I hate to sterotype an entire area but south fla is too expensive, too crowded, too dangerous, and too close to the hurricane paths.
That left jacksonville, tampa, orlando or daytona.
I picked daytona.

Old 12-06-2009, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,956 times
me and my friends are 21 and we want to move to somewhere near fort lauderdale florida where is the best place to live that somewhat cheaper then other parts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida